recurring lump near 1yr old piercing.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

recurring lump near 1yr old piercing.

O.k, I have what appears to be a sub-dermal lump/bump near one of my ear lobe piercings that is over a year old.  I noticed it some time after I got my ears done(could just have been brought to my attention because of them), the lump seems to go a way but then returns in the same place after sometime passes(could just be swelling going down I seem to irritat it some times if I mess with it). It does not hurt or do anything it is just there. It does not seem to get irritated any more then any other part of my ear lobe with just a little pressure. It has never ruptured and you can't even see it, just feel it.  I do belive it is near the only 1 of my 6 ear lobe piercings that did bleed.
I don't beleve it to be a keloid by any means.

I don't know if it is scar tissue that formed near the piercing

Keloids are an aggressive wound healing process of the body. It is not normal and is known to follow the Koebner phenomenon, according to which lesions like this tend to occur more at sites of repair. Hence and area which has faced some trauma actually is a possible site for keloids.

It is usually possible for a dermatologist to differentiate a keloid and an hypertrophic scar which heals much more easily.

Therapy includes steroid injection, some dressings  and creams and cryotherapy. Surgery may also be an option in some cases.

Since they occur at sites of trauma and any treatment may cause some trauma, there is a theoritical chance of getting a keloid at a treatment site.

It is not known to be hereditary..

Hope this helped. Let us know if you have any other queries.

Best regards