recurring rash on my arm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

recurring rash on my arm

Hi I'm a 42 yr old male. Mostly in decent health. I have had a rash form in my "elbow pit", the inner part of my elbow. Between my forearm and upper arm. It is on my dominant arm, the arm where I have my donated blood drawn from, if it matters. I have not had blood drawn in several months.

The strange thing is I noticed it a couple months ago. I scratched it a lot at first and then forced myself not to touch it. It cleared up and then a month or so later it came back in the same place... The area is about the size of a fifty cent piece, same as last time. I have never had rash problems on my body before that I couldn't explain. I live in a drier climate. I have been incurring a lot of stress lately with my job.

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.