recurring swelling from pioson ivy

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

recurring swelling from pioson ivy

battling poison oak for about 14 days, had severe swelling of face and was treated with a tapering dose of steroids. most of the rash areas are healing,  however for the past 4 mornings about 30 min after I wake up both my hands will start to swell, turn red and itch like crazy! It usually lasts for about 2 hours then then slowly goes away, but it is awful while it lasts!

The rash that results from the poison plants is a form of allergic contact dermatitis. Symptoms include redness and itching of the skin, development of rash and sometimes development of blisters from rash.

Once it begins, the rash will usually clear on its own by 14-21 days. Treatment is directed at controlling the itching. You may take oral antihistaminics like benadryl or zyrtec. Also apply calamine lotion as it has a soothing effect on the skin. You can apply OTC steroid cream but it is only helpful if applied right away, before blisters appear, or much later, when the blisters have dried up. Compresses with cool water or Burrow’s solution (available without prescription) can help dry the ooze faster.

There is no other treatment other than antihistaminics or steroids. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.