red, itchy, dry rash on chest

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red, itchy, dry rash on chest

hi i have rash on my chest, it is dry and often itchy, but sometimes it fades away, (the itchyness goes, but the redness / dryness is still present) i noticed this appeared after i got a rash in the sun, i was on holiday in august 07 when i received some sort of heat rash on my chest. didnt think anything of it, but from what i can recall, ever since then i have had a chest rash, which is dry, and scaly, and red, i have tried aquaros cream, but doesnt seem to have any affect, and the rash has very slowly expanded, started just below the pectorials, in the "chest dent area" now has slightly got higher and has travelled downwards to belly button, sort of wear the hair line is?
any ideas or help?
i have heard of a cream called hydrocortisone - is this over the counter? will it work?

thank you

The symptoms are suggestive of eczema. Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).Mild steroids like dermacort are available with the pharmacists.

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin.So use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.Kind regards.