DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
red, scaly and itchy on penis foreskin
by marcaussie, Mar 16, 2010
Male,33 yo, Sexual Active, in an straight stable relationship for a year, NO STD, NO Hepatitis, NO allergies known, Nappy rash when baby, recurrent penis yeast infection (candidiasis) at least 4 episodes in a year time.

About 7 weeks ago, after having sex, I started to have symptoms of what I thought it was a yeast infection, so I've treated with Canesten for the first 6 days and avoided to have sex during that time.

At the third day things seems to get better, but at the fourth the itchiness and the reddish got worse. I went to my GP, and he said that it was an infection, and treated me with Nizoral pills (ketoconazole) for 10 days..
Things didn't improve so I've got back to the GP and he said that it could be a dermatitis or eczema, so he gave me SigmaCort Cream (Hydrocortisone acetate)...

Never got better after 5 days, so I've decided to change GP, I went to another and she said it was a dermatitis, so she gave me ADVANTAN Fatty ointment (Methylprednisolone aceponate) and QV Intensive (moisturizer)... for 5 days...

Didn't work and the itchiness at this time didn't let me sleep properly.

Went to a Sexual Health Clinic and got tested for STDs, and all results came negative (which is great), the doctor there as well said that it was a dermatitis or eczema, keep on with the treatment with Advantan and the moisturizer and avoid any sort of contact with soap.

Didn't work... At this point, apart from the itchiness I have to add, a burning sensation and pain and very very dry skin plus very irritated and red and painful when I touched it. There are as well red spots in the glan and like white bumps in the glan as well....

Went to the dermatologist, she looked my hands, knees, head and my penis, and she diagnosed me with psoriasis. She has found some scaly skin on my elbows.

She gave me Elocon Cream (Mometasone Furoate 0.1%) for 2 weeks 5 days a week, and  keep using the moisturizer plus use a saline solution to clean the penis...

It seemed to work the first 3 days, the skin went back to its normal color, after that the itchiness and red color and dry skin went back, and the itchiness is really bad... also this burning sensation that I feel if I touch my penis...

After the treatment with Elocon she suggest to use a tar cream made with 3% LPC in Aqueous Cream, and gave me a really bad burning sensation when applied and didn't stop the itchiness nor the reddish color of the skin...

The only thing that really come me down was leave my penis on salty water (boiled) for 10 minutes, it really takes the itchiness away, but no the reddish, If I apply the moisturizer after that I feel pretty good for half of the day, that it seems the skin absorbs all the moisturizer...

I don't really know what to do next, I have an appointment with the dermatologist in about too weeks but I can't stand this anymore...

I haven't have sex during this time (it's really painful so I don't want to)...

Is there anything else that could be missed?

Please help

Thanks in advance

Marc

Member Comments (2)
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Mar 17, 2010
I can understand your concern for these symptoms. From the symptoms I suggest you to get evaluated for eczema and psoriasis as the symptoms are suggestive of both of these. It is not fungal infection. I suggest you to get a biopsy skin done so that the diagnosis can be confirmed.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
by unlimiteditch, Dec 03, 2010
After reading about your symptoms it sounds alot like mine, especially if you also have scales (very itchy dry skin) on your head, knees, feet, and/or elbows, it sounds alot like psoriasis and I'm sure this is upsetting just like it was for me because none of the medication prescribed for it helps or if it does then it has harmful affects on your immune system.  If you will research psoriasis it will show you pictures of it and the many different kinds.  There is NO CURE so this could be the reason for its continuous return.  Researching it will give you some ideas on what helps ease the itch or pain.  I hope for your sake I am wrong because psoriasis ***** but from the symptoms you may want to take it upon your self to research it including pictures.  Good luck.