red, shiny, dry skin on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red, shiny, dry skin on penis

I've had these red, shiny areas on my penis for about 3 months now. The skin is smooth, dry and not raised or thick. It will look al little better at times, then get worse again. I've tried Hydrocortesone cream, Lotrimin AF ,and plain lotion. Nothing seems to help. Any ideas? Picture attached...
It can be due to friction rub or fungal infections. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also wear cotton undergarments and use non perfumed mild soaps. Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful. If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a dermatologist and get a biopsy skin done.

I hope it helps . Take care and regards.

Avatar n tn
As an update (for anybody searching in the future) this appears to have been a yeast infection. Don't know how I got it, as I'm circumcised, all sex partners had no symptoms, and , believe me, I wash the hell out of this area!
After 6 months of various degrees of redness, I finally went to the doctor,and he took about 30 seconds to prescribe fluconazole tablets (listed as treatment for vaginal candida),along with using lotrimin. Symptoms showed improvement in 24 hrs. I'll update as necessary...
Hello  ced !  I`ve been having exactly the same shiny redness and same symptoms as you for more than a year. Looking at your picture is like looking at my own penis. Anyways I have been with several doctors (general and urologyst) some of them did all kind of STD tests and all came negative including herpes. They also prescribe me antifungals creams that were making my foreskin very thin (I'm uncircumsiced) , antibiotics and a treatment with fluconazole. Let me tell you nothing works  the redness come and goes. Started last summer I had a break in the winter and then came back 6 weeks ago. Some doctors said I have nothing to worry cus is not contagios that is just an irritation, but I'm sick and tired of this condition, Last Urologyst I went said is recurrent balanitis and the only solution would be a circumsicion so I have an appointment to have done next tuesday 13, but now I do not know what to think cus you already have a circumsicion and is happening to you too. Please keep me updated with your healing process and with what you are using . Thanks.
PD  one doctor told me to dilute 2 teaspoons of white vinegar in one glass of water and wash the  penis with it, but  I haven't done yet.   Thanks again
Avatar n tn
Hi Ra1234,

After 2.5 days out of 7 (I have seven fluconazole pills to take), redness is greatly reduced ,but skin is still a little shiny. I read that it could take a few days for the symptoms to disappear, even after the infection is gone. I will keep posting (and try to post an updated picture), because I know that it is hard to find good information on this exact condition! Below is info I posted in another comment, about 2 months before I posted in this thread, so that you have all the info....

"I'm a 45 year old circumcised male. About 2 months ago, I noticed what I thought was a small, circular abrasion on the side of my penis, and also on the top of the shaft, just below the glans (glands). I've had similar before from sex, and they usually go away in a couple of days. These have not. Now there are two spots about the size of a pencil eraser on each side of the shaft just below the glans (glands), and a spot about the size of a dime on the top, with a little extension from the shaft onto the glans (glands). The spots are not painful or itchy, are not raised, and are dry. Sometimes the skin flakes a little, and beneath is red and very shiny. The spot on top has spread just a tiny bit, and where its spread is noticably redder and shinier than the rest. I used lotion for a couple of weeks, which cured the flakiness, but not the discoloration. Also tried 1% hydrocortesone for a couple of days, and also Lotrimin anti fungal, nothing seems to help. I am sure this is not any kind of STD. Ideas?
Avatar n tn
Ra1234,

Let me also comment that even though I am circumcised, my glans (glands) often is recessed into the skin a little (like a "turtle"), which probably offers the same warm, moist conditions around the corona as being uncircumcised. I don't know if being circumcised as an adult cures this condition or not....
Hello Ced ! thanks  for responding.
I'm glad the redness of your penis is reduced thanks to the fluconazole. I also went to my primary doctor last week and he prescribed me 3 pill of flocunazole taking them every other day.I took the same antifungus last year and still came back this year. I only have sex with my wife and she is clean, nothing happens to her. Well the redness is also reduced, but like you I can still see a shiny skin. I'm gonna go ahead with my circumsicion as suggested by the urologyst. I posted before and a couple of nice people who had the same condition told me that the only solution is circumsicion cus they had it done as adults and the irritation went away forever. thanks  Ced  keep me updated. I ll do the same.  Raf
Avatar n tn
Well, a week later, and I can't really tell if there has been an improvement or not.
Skin is still slightly red, and shiny (especially on top, from the glans (glands) about .5" down the shaft).
I go back to the Dr tomorrow, so we'll see what he has to say....
Avatar n tn
Doc says give the skin a little more time to heal, looks much less red and blotchy.
Keep using Lotrimin for another week, and see what happens.....
Avatar n tn
Well, I'm going on 8 months of this, and 2 trips to the Dr., but still not completely gone.
Redness and shininess is not too bad right now, but it's not completely gone, three weeks after treatment, and I've been through this before, where it looks almost healed and then gets worse over night. Have checkup with Dr in 3 months, hopefully will be gone by then!
Avatar n tn
Hi ced21,

I have exactly the same symptoms. I went to a skin doctor and he said to wash my penis 2 - 3 times a day for 1 - 2 weeks and apply Canesten HC on the effected area for 2 -3 times a day after I wash my penis head. I have been using Canesten for 2 weeks now, the redness has decreased a bit although I still have 2 red spots and some cracks there and then on my penis head. These 2 red spots and cracks are not showing any improvement regardless of the cream. What do you suggest to do? My skin also looks very dry and silvery.
Avatar n tn
Hi Krotosor,

My symptoms are still pretty much the same as my last post.
My penis doesn't look as bad as the photo, but it's by no means 100% gone.
I've tried several different anti fungal topicals, and none seem to work. I've also tried Bactitracin antibiotic cream, which seemed to help a little at first, but know I'm not too sure. Still have some discoloration on the glans (glands), but the shaft isn't bad right now, but the skin still doesn't look normal. It's been close to a year since this started....
I go back to the doctor in about a week, see what else we can come up with.
This is so good to hear that I’m not the only person with the same problem. I've been to doctors and given Canesten HC this seems to have made a slight improvement. But they seem a little unsure to what it is, im going back Monday 24th for a follow up appointment. The doctor mentioned about circumcision. Just out of curiosity does anyone have eczema?
Avatar n tn
Well, finally made it to a dermatologist.

He diagnosed Zoon's Balanitis and gave me some Desonide .05% cream.

After 2 weeks, it's almost 100% cleared up, finally, after over a year!
hey you guys. just had sex and my penis is red and shiny and tastes like metal. any advice? cheers dudes
Thank you so much for posting your experience! most everything I read seemed like only uncircumsized guys get it. I woke up 2 days after an unexpected "lap dance" in a friends hot tub.*wink*..to a rash similar to yours and nearly died of anxiety. I will ask my doc about the desonide. Thanks man!
Could you let http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new/1226320#us know which cream he gave you  please?
hi Ced, i have read all your comments. first i thank you for sharing this step by step. Sure you must have helped many people. Thank you very much.
after having interocurse again, yours penis is normal?
Avatar n tn
Hi zen87,
Well, it's been 3.5 years, and my penis has never gotten back to 100%.
I still occasionally get dry,flaky patches on the head that turn a little red if I scratch the flaky skin off. Also, the skin off my shaft right behind the head is a little shinier than it ever was before this started. I think the dermatologist finally settled on psoriasis. It doesn't really effect me in any way, and is much better (say 90%) than the original outbreak, but I guess it will never go completely away...
I believe your condition is due to penile psoriasis.  It is one of the most misdiagnosed diseases around.  I have it too.  Red quarter sized spot on side of shaft below head, gets sensitive, flares and gets better spontaneously.

Best thing is vaseline. DO NOT put corticosteroids on it or you'll be sorry.  
Thanks for your comment.
Hi Ced21,
I have just finished reading all of your posts. Thank you. They have settled my mind quite a bit. About 2 months ago I had this red patch of skin about the size of a dime on the side of my shaft pop up overnight. It was distinctively redder than the skin around it. No pain, no itching. At first it was a dark red and the skin on the surface was a bit dryer than the other skin around it. I have been with the same girlfriend for 3 years, we are both extremely loyal and religious. So I was pretty sure it wasn't an STD.  I went to a dermatologist office and he wasn't sure wether or not it was genital herpes or just a rash. So he took a sample of the rash and had it tested for herpes. The results took 5 days to come back. Thankfully it came back negative. He treated me for both just in case. The rash went away. And now has come back in pretty much the same area but a bit larger. Maybe a nickel size. Again no itching, burning, or smell. So I'm making another appt. And I'm gonna ask if we can test for balantis, psoriasis, penile cancer and lastly eyrothyloplasia of queyrat. Having this redness on my penis is a major hit to my self confidence and want it gone as much as you do. Again thanks for the posts.
mam
This is Rajat, i am 22 yr old  for m 2 or 3 days ..my preskin or skin covering my glans (glands) get reddish ..and dry too a day before yesterday i noticed some pain right there but yesterday i noticed some white substance covering all part of it
when i washed it out with water skin get red .and cant be pull back its getting a stiff and i m not able to unfold tht skin plz help its cousing lots of pain
...
Hey all, the red patches that look shiny and then get dry and flaky are male yeast infection (aka "thrush" or "candida").

The cure is organic coconut oil.  Rub the oil on your penis 2-3 times a day.  This will clear the yeast infection in less than a week.  

Coconut oil is a natural anti-fungal.  It's solid at room temperature and melts at 76 degrees F.  You can get it at any health food store.  Buy organic to be good to yourself.

I know this works because I use coconut oil as lube for fapping.  When I got a new girlfriend, I stopped fapping for a few weeks and came down with the red spot yeast infection.  I started applying the coconut oil again (still without fapping), and sure enough, the symptoms cleared.  My guess is the oil has prevented me from getting yeast infections for years, because I know my partner had them.  The best part is that with coconut oil, you can fap and prevent yeast infections at the same time--totally naturally :)  Good luck!
Hi ced! How are you doing now? I got the same thing a couple of days/ weeks after a one night stand. Cant get it off... I really would like to hear about anyone who got rid of balanitis..
I love your post the most!  Can you get this in the cooking section?
Zoon's Balanitis solved (almost) with Desonide .05% cream.  Great, all the good stuff needs a prescription!  Bye bye apple pie!  
You might cut back on the iron!
Nesting, where is the nesting on these comments?!
Hi there
I have very recently noticed a red and shiny area on side of my glans (glands). I don't think it's std, but can get tested if you advise me to.
It doesn't hurt, seems like a new glan skin is coming over.
It has been about a week and this red shiny area hasn't gone yet. I suspect it's even grown in size.
Is it due to daily shagging or using public toilets at work.
I am sure about my girl friend so it cannot be a std from her. But yes, I was about to get married to another girl six months back and we were sexually active until she dumped me.
This condition is scaring me to be honest.
Am I over reacting? What should I do?
Ps: how do I put a pic here of my glans (glands)?
I keep it hygienic. Wash the glans (glands) everyday with bathing soap. Also please see the pic of the condition on my profile pic.
Avatar n tn
Hi Ced,

Thanks for sharing your experience, I have been struggling with the same issue for over a year now. I tried anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and steroid based cream and no improvement. I am circumcised too and my glans (glands) recess into the skin exactly as you described. I think it is psoriasis too, what medication has helped you the most? I am going to see a dermatologist again who has been experimenting on me and now she wants a biopsy (ouch). I prefer to suggest your medication before any biopsy..

Thank you
I posted a comment not sure why It didn't go through
Ok I have been dealing with this for YEARS as I think I finally solved the issue..the problem could be urine leakage..I've tried tons of different things but haven't been able to get the lines gone..so this is the combination that worked..I rotated applications of miconozole an clotrimazole..you can find them at Walmart..this got rid of the yeast infection..red rash..finally I discovered dermoplast..the main ingredient is benzethonium chloride it kills yeast/staph/bacteria..it got rid of the lines after 3x a day for 7 days..now to keep it all from coming back you need A+D ointment which is petroleum based to lock out moisture and restore the skin..and after you pee make sure you shake it off good and give it a while maybe after sitting(which is when I noticed mine seeped out)go take a hypoallergenic wipe an clean yourself good..I hope this works for everyone else..
Also make sure you clean yourself properly after sex!
Avatar n tn
Try using a penis health creme.  These are made to combat exactly the type of skin issues you are describing.  Get one with some shea butter and Vitamins A and E.  These ingredients are great for the skin, all natural, and won't give you any strange side effects.
I have the exact same symptoms.  I have always had sensitive skin and remember this happening to me when I was really young.  I recently had this occur in the winter months and also discovered I was allergic to my hot tub when using clorine and bromine (during the winter this was noticed)  No prblems in the summer.  It is spring now and I am currently trying miconacole Nitrate 2% which seems to releive it a bit but from past experience it could be a break in the weather.  Im 30 now and have been experiencing this for the past 20 years. Every year seems to be worse..  Wife has no symptoms and we have both treated for yeast infections with no change.  

Sincerely,

Lost with no more ideas.
Avatar n tn
Dodge...  try a penis health creme.  Really.  Man1 Man Oil is a really good creme and might help you.  It's worth a shot right?  Good luck.    
In the last week I have finally gotten somewhere with similar issues that everyone has been having.

The initial problem came after unprotected sex. I got checked for any STDs and came out negative  which should be anyone's first step . After the last 11 months with varying conditions of redness, peeling and inflamation (inflammation) - after trying all of the things mentioned here which included: fluconazole, coconut oil, antifungals creams , steroid creams ( caused peeling) . What really worked was going back to washing with Aveeno daily moisturizing  lukewarm water (MAKE SURE TO PROPERLY PULL BACK THE FORESKIN AND EXPOSE ALL OF YOUR SKIN ) followed up by gentle drying and then coating with Vaseline regular non perfumed. I seem to have almost fully recovered from any redness.

I hope this works for those of you who are still having issues. and I read this exact same thread almost a year ago today and am finally getting somewhere - its good!

Don't loose hope
I had the redness/soreness problem some years ago. All around the base of the head, and around the Frenulum. Had it for months. I am uncircumcised. I picked up a tip for a remedy on one of the forums at the time. Dont think it was this one. From my own experience, what I have read, and from what my doctor says. It seems that the main cause for these is the fact that there is so much moisture around the area, especially under the foreskin. The remedy was to use  ordinary Cornflour, (think you call it Corn starch). It worked for me, I have a little plastic container with holes punched in the lid. After showering I used it liberally all over the head, foreskin etc, it is a completely organic talcum powder, very smooth and comfortable to use, no side effects. It keeps my penis dry and pretty much free from any moisture. Dont forget moisture seems to be the real enemy here. Buy in any supermarket for pittance, compared to all the expensive creams, which thin the skin with over-use. Anyway it seems that guys go on these forums out of sheer desperation, so there is absolutely nothing to lose by trying it. It worked for me and I use it all the time now. Also incidently totaly harmless to taste ;-)
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your infos. I got this **** this week. I'm in panic! :(
You said you had an abrasion 5 inches down the shaft, didn't you mean centimeters?
Hello all,

I've gone through the 5 pages of responses to ced's question; & thought I should send this response. Bear with me if you find this a lengthy answer, but it's because the true answer lies in a completely different  paradigm of medicine than what we are used to. And yes, I have personally  experienced this problem for years, seen doctors and dermatologists and finally found the e 'cure' most accidentally  while taking a different kind of medication for seemingly unrelated issues.So,here we go...
The creams prescribed for this condition are all either anti-fungal, antibacterial, or 'conditioning' lotions. None if it works long term because the are the wrong answer in the first place. They are the wrong answer because the diagnoses of the "cause" is in itself incorrect - you Do NOT have yeast/fungal, infection, nor is the problem due to lack of 'skin conditioning'. In fact, some moisturizers may aggravate the condition due to chemicals. Cortisone works only because it suppresses symptoms by suppressing immune system response... if you have tried prescription arythromizine thinking it to be Herpes, you'll notice it only aggravates the situation.

Washing with cool/ regular tap water,and applying cooling gels like aloe Vera often reduces the inflammation and changes the color of the glans (glands) within minutes.

So, what's happening here? The answer can be found in the eastern system of medicine called ayurveda. Of the 3 'doshas'- vata (wind), pitta  (heat) & kapha (phlegm/ water) - it is the 'pitta' (body heat) that is excessive, and
causing the redness & irritation.... and itching, due to dryness caused by excess
heat. Why only the penis? Why not the whole body? Because this humor is just high enough to be seen in the most sensitive places (you may also show signs of smelly armpits),& what's more sensitive than the glans (glands)!! The fact that it then gets a coating of lightly acidic substance, urine, adds to the problem
(thus, if u shake/ wipe off well, you notice a difference).

This means, there is an IMBALANCE in yr body, but just enough to trouble in a certain tissue (a whole different part of the theory of eastern medicine).That imbalance is not sufficient to cause a full blown disease, nor is it enough to create conditions conducive to disease (like candida, herpes etc - in fact, these diseases caused by external agents get caused by the excess of water, and not by an excess of 'fire/ heat'  in the body).

Some of you may show higher liver enzyme levels of SGOT and SPGT (about 1.5-2 times normal) that yr doctor cannot explain, but cannot remedy either! Interesting isn't it?

SO, HERE'S THE ANSWER:

Issue isn't external (like infection). It is INTERNAL! So, the state of yr glans (glands) will be decided by the factors of yr daily life... and you can cure this problem only by understanding  yr body better. A few suggestons in the absence of an ability to actually prescribe mess here...
1. Refrain from green chillies, tabsaco sauce, even black pepper in some cases... sharp, pungent, penetrating substances will hit you worst. Refrain from oily + heavy foods like pepperoni  pizza !
Keep a strict vigil for 3-4 months, and you'll start identifying what doesn't suit your body.
2. Take warm water with lemon every morning.
3. Take cooling foods like cucumbers, cabbage/ coleslaw everyday. Watermelons are great too. Raise in take of white rice, milk and milk products (totally contrary to yeast infections), clarified butter  (ghee)
4. Pure aloe Vera gel, or clarified butter,helps to cool and soothe the area when in relapse.
5. DO NOT use any lotions, Don't soap rigorously... in fact, don't use soap at all (Neutrogena baby soap seems ok) but wash gently with cool water making sure u remove any smegma each morning.
6. Do a liver cleanse if possible (but not one that cleanses the fat), because the liver is often the source/ reservoir of heat in yr body.
7. Do gentle breathing exercises called 'pranayama', especially 'shitali' or 'shitkaari'... lots on youtube.
I know this doesn't sound like a 'solution' but it is the only true 'maintenance plan'. Most people would get great benefits, unless the issue has been chronic for years...
Feel free to write to me directly if u need any further specific suggestions.

In my earlier post, I meant 'acyclovir' for herpes, not azythromycin. Sorry, typed this from my cell phone
A couple of more comments:
1. Ointments for balanitis or psoriasis do help because 'itis' or inflammation is caused by the internal 'pitta'(fire) element of the body.
2. Also refrain from alcohol, especially hard liquor and wines with high tannins; beer is often ok.Different people have different  tolerance levels, so u need to figure yours.
The important  thing is to understand the relationship of yr food to yr body (& especially in our caees, to the penile glans (glands) :-)).
Bathing yrself in moonlight on a full moon night (just like sunbathing) & walking in cool evening breeze also make a huge difference.
You may write to me on zeeji.***@****.
Hi Ced. I suspect I have the same thing as you had, but cannot be sure without a picture. Can you upload it to some image sharing website, because it is not showing on this page. Thanks!
I had a smooth red patch that covered about a third of the head of my penis, and some spots on the shaft.  There was no itching or irritation.  After many months I asked my dermatologist about it and he prescribed betamethasone .1% cream for one month.  About ten days into it and the skin is pretty much back to normal.
Hi Ced I have the same exact condition. It first started back in 2011 and I ignored it for about two years. It kept coming and going. So last September I went to see a dermatologist and one quick look, he said it was herpes and gave me antiviral medicine, at first it looked as though it treated it, but two packets later and it was still the same. So I went to see another doc, he said it wasn't herpes. He said it was 'lichen planus' and said there was no known cause or treatment. But I am not sure it is lichen planus either. Please tell me what it is, if you have found out.
Is there a quick way to temporarily get rid of it. I've just started hanging out with girl who I really really like and we had sex the first night we hungout and no problem until the next morning when the red patchiness came back and has been back since. And now she wants to hangout again but I don't want her to see it. It seems like it only comes around a few times a year and I find sex usually aggravates it.  I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks a lot!
I have similar issue.. been with more than 3 years... does it got fixed??? please help