red, splotchy skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red, splotchy skin

Over the past 6 months I have gotten an increasing number of redish, purplish splotchy patches on my skin and it seems to be spreading.  It first started on the underside of one breast, then got larger and the other breast started having the spotchy color on it too. My panty line and stomach area are now completely red/purple. About a 3-4 inch band in each area.  Now it's also spread to under my arms and all up and down the inside of my arms to my forearms.  Sometimes it doesn't look too bad, but when my body temperature is up, like after i get out of the shower, it looks horrible.   I visited my OBGYN about it when the rash was only on my breast, as I was nervous about inflammatory breast cancer. He said it was definately not that but looked like a dermatology issue, although it wasn't on the skin surface like fungus that would require antibiotics.  It's not raised or anything, and looks like it's just red right under the skin surface, almost like a bruise.  I have health insurance but a $5000 deductible, so I can't afford to go from dr to dr until I get the right one that might be able to tell me what's wrong with me.  Maybe you could advise me what direction I need to go?  Also, the rash is not irritating, doesn't itch or anything, just is red.  

Thanks!

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis or an allergic reaction.

Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. I am sure you would understand the importance of maintaining a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination to rule out scabies or insect bites.

Regards.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers