red and harden skin under finger ring
I cannot wear my wedding ring due to a red rash and harden skin in its place.
Before the rash started, I would wash my hands and notice that I have been leaving moister under my ring since drying was difficult to get too. This has never been a problem before but now we live in an area where the water is hard.  Could this be why I now have a rash?
What can I do to get rid of this rash and be able to wear my wedding ring again?
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it sounds like contact dermatitis. Irritant dermatitis, the most common type of contact dermatitis, involves inflammation resulting from contact with acids, alkaline materials such as soaps and detergents, cosmetics, or other chemicals.

Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime.Also pls don’t wear your ring till the symptoms improve. Wash the skin with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Pat it dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves.If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort.

If the irritation persists then pls get it evaluated from a dermatologist.
I hope that helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.Kind regards.

Thank you so much for your help.
I will follow your suggestion.
Its nice knowing people care in this world.
Thank you again.
I have a white gold set of rings that are rhodium plated.  I had the same problem, and was trying to find out what to do.  I would take them off, clean them good, put triple antibiotic on my finger until it seemed to heal, then put the rings back on and the same thing would happen (a reddish rash under where the rings touched my skin).  I have a ring on my right hand that this did not happen with, and I noticed that the rash was confined to the area where the diamonds were (so bacteria could have accumulated there due to moisture and caused a form of athletes foot).  To test this possibility, I took off my rings (cleaned them and put them on the dresser to dry all night), put Lotrimin (athletes foot medication) around my ring finger, and put a band aid on it overnight.  The next morning the rash was gone, I put my clean and dry rings, and haven't had a problem since.  I hope people read this and I hope it helps.

Kristi