red area on side of mouth
I had a red circular patch appear on the outside area of skin near my mouth. It was there for 3 weeks then went away and suddenly re-appeared  again a week later. It doesn't itch but feels raw when I touch it. Every morning it has a layer of skin that is peeling much like skin that has been sunburned without the blisters.It does have some oozing after the skin peels off but dries up fairly fast. I have tried applying anti-itch creams,yeast infection medication, tea tree oil and various lotions to no avail. I recently had blood work done and I have a low RBC and hematicrit. I am hypothyroid and had my medication increased 3 months ago when my tsh was 5.8, now it is 10.8. I have an appointment with my doctor this week to see what will be done to get my thyroid straightened out. Could any of these be causing the red patch?

This discussion is related to Red Rash Corner of Mouth Spreading.

This could be perioral dermatitis.

Perioral dermatitis, a condition related to acne vulgaris, consists of red papules that may appear microvesicular that typically affect the nasolabial folds, perioral area or perioccular area. It usually affects women between the ages of 20 and 45.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perioral_dermatitis

It is commonly caused by the use of fluorinated topical glucocorticoid steroids to this area.

It is treated in a similar manner to acne vulgaris with tetracycline antibiotics or erythromycin but, without the use of topical steroids.

Recently, photodynamic therapy (PDT) has been reported to be helpful, although large studies have not yet been performed.

Roaccutane has been used in patients with severe perioral dermatitis with some benefit. Do consult with a dermatologist regularly.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.