Dermatology Expert Forum
red blotches and bumps on upper arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

red blotches and bumps on upper arms

This is something I have had since I can remember but never really bothered me much because it doesn't itch or anything. But, the red blotches and bumps have are something I would like to get rid of because I think it stops me from wanting to wear sleeveless shirts. What could it be? The blotchness does seem to worsen when I get hot or after bathing - the bumps are the same color as my skin but but are raised. It is only on my upper arms and on the outside of them not under.
This is called keratosis pilaris.  It's a very common hereditary condition, in which bumps of keratin protein collect in hair follicles.  One way to smooth the area is to apply a moisturizer containing ammonium lactate (over-the-counter, ask your druggist) after a shower, then exfoliating for 20-30 seconds with a loofah or Buf Puf.  Keep this up till the skin is as smooth as you want.  You'll need to resume this as the bumosa reappear.

If this doesn't help enough, a dermatologist can offer other suggestions.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
hello:

I have had the same thing for years; it has never really bothered me much until now.  Im getting married in one month and the only part of my body that shows the most is, of course, my arms.  I'm a little down because of it, but there isnt much I can do.

the condition we have is called keratosis pilaris, its hereditary and like i said, there is not much that can be done.

I recently saw a dermatologist, who gave me an RX for some kind of anti-biotic cream, which I have applied religiously for 3 weeks now with no relief.   There is no medication to get rid of it, although you may want to try this cream which is called triaminocone (i think that spelling is right)
but chances are it wont work.   Use a loofah, scrub the hell out of your arms in the shower once or twice a day, and see what happens.
I know the worst part of it all is when people ask you, "whats that on your arms", and you kinda go, "uh, well, ive had it for a long as i can remember", or " uh, just some rash", next time, say something to shut them up like, "a lot of people have this, its a sign of wisdom, wow, you dont get out much, do"

Dont worry much about it, and if you want to ask me anything (i'm a nurse), feel free to email me at ***@****

alyse
I'm 22 and had severe acne in high school, everything was fine up until last year. I started out last year with a red blotch on my chest, then got one on my inner thigh that matched the one on my chest. They are round or oval and very smooth, and with the exception of the one on my thigh they are usually small. Then the one on my chest went away, but not I have five new ones. What could this be and what could have caused it to happen know.
A related discussion, How Do You Get Rid OF The Bumps was started.