red blotches on face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red blotches on face

my name is Amy. I started having my face flare up in blotches of red for about 4 months now. I have never had problems with my face before. This incident happened after few months of giving my first birth. when the redness first occurred it took 2 days before my face was covered with blotches. They made my face slightly itchy and when in contact with water, burning. i got medication, corticosteroid, to clear it up. Then it reappeared a month later. Then I got an ointment prescribed. It cleared and came back a month later again. I used the cream again and then began the cycle of flare ups with the intervals of time being less and less. Now the condition is almost persistent with a week relief here or there. I stopped the creams after awhile since my skin was flaking and thining out. The flare ups became so regular in such a short period of time that isolating triggers was not possible.Since then I also developed a condition in my hands with similar symptons - redness and itchness. my hands have gotten so itchy they have started to peel because I can't stop scratching. I have tried many topical hydrocortisteroids that seem to help only briefly before becoming ineffective. Dermatologists have not found a solution for me and I am not convinced an allergist can help me. Now I am trying to live with the condition and it is very difficult. It definely affects my self esteem. Any insights?