red blotches on feet and legs with swelling,itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

my husband has had a problem with his feet and legs for many years, they start breaking out in blotches, then swell, they are hot to the touch and he will scratch holes in his skin scratching them....he has been to many DR's with no results, they will usually be normal again the next day but on some occasions can last several days depending on the severity of the break out, we thought of a number of things it could be until our 15 year old son started having the same thing, not as bad as his father as of yet but with the red blotches and as of today( he has been dealing with flu symptoms the last several days) his ankle is very painful to the touch and he has trouble bearing weight. Our son has had the break out before his illness also, any suggestions? the best thing that helps my husband is ice, but that only decreases the rapidness of the breakout  
It can be due to hives, lichen simplex chronicus or neurodermatitis. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

Many cases of hives are "idiopathic," meaning no cause is known. Others may be triggered by viral infections or medications. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

If the symptoms persist then you need steroid for which I suggest you to consult a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers