red blotches that spread up

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red blotches that spread up

Last summer  red blotches appreared on my ankles then  the spread started and took a few weeks. it is almost a year and they have not gone away. it didn;t itch.   it spread up the front center of my calf to the crease at the knee,  in about another week it went up my thigh to my hip and my rear.  Now it has reached the pulse points of my wristes and my under arm.  It had faded to a brownish red and  new blotches pop up around the old blotches.  
It does not hurt of itch.  My skin is starting to look leathery where it is going brown instead of red.  I have used diaper cream, benedryl,  and neosporin  nothing works to stop it.  I am a 59 year old women in good health.  It seems to travel up my nerve centers or pulse points.

Am a member like you, so cannot offer medical advice, but I'd ask your doctor .. maybe some type of cortisone may help and/or be able to diagnose this for you.  But you cannot use topical cortisone cream over such a large area w/o consulting your doctor.

Could it be some type of allergic contact dermatitis?

C~
These blotches can be due to nummular dermatitis, granuloma annulare or lichen planus. Granuloma annulare is a chronic disease consisting of rings arranged in a circle. It presents as small, firm bumps (papules) over the backs of the forearms, hands, or feet and other body parts. Treatment is necessary for cosmetic purposes and consists of steroids and intralesional steroid injections.

To confirm the diagnosis get a biopsy skin done from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.