red bump on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red bump on lip

I have a small red spot on my lower lip its just slightly darker then my lip and is raised a little bit it doesnt look like its a blister or a cold sore ive had one before and it went away and now i have one again ive been searching the interne and cant really find anything about it. ive seen cold sores and it doesnt look like any ive seen. it doesnt hurt doesnt bleed doesnt do anything but u can tell its there.. i just want to make sure its not cancer or something

The chances that this is cancer are negligible.

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively.  One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue.
Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

If nothing works you can have a biopsy done to find out the cause.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_lips

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
thanks for the info tomorrow is my bday and i have cracked lips and bumps just like these. i will apply carmex and drink plenty of water and eat healthy food. THANKS!
i woke up this morning and made breakfast as any other person would on a regular day . then all of a sudden i got this small bump on the bottom of my lip its at the very tippy top close to the inside though and im just worried about it not going back to normal and dissapearing, i think its one of thoses overnight things that would go away but if not i dont know what it is, im applying vapor rub and drinking liquids. i dont think its that serious and i dont know how i caught this ...