red bumps after sex

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red bumps after sex

After sex I notice red bumps on the head of my penis. My girlfriend and I have sex about 2-3 times a day so they seem to be gone in the morning but I notice them later in the day. I have been tested and results are negative. I also notice my foreskin drying out a little(i am not circumcised). Is this from having sexual intercourse quite often or should I be worried?  
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be a case of balanitis. Balanitis refers to an  inflammation involving the head of the penis. Trauma and mild irritations caused by sexual activity may lead to a dermatitis .Fungal infections and bacterial infections may also be a differential.

Balanitis is not a sexually transmitted disease. Irritation of the penile head during sexual activity however may introduce the organisms into the skin and cause balanitis.

Use a mild and bland cleanser when washing the area. Always keep the area clean and dry.You may ask your physician if applying topical corticosteroids or antimicrobials may be able to help. At this point however, I do suggest that you try to decrease sexual activity and see if the skin condition improves.
What do you mean by a mild and bland cleanser?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You may try using Cetaphil. Avoid soaps  and scented body wash. Use products that are hypoallergenic. The skin of the penis especially that of the glans (glands) is sensitive and more fragile than the skin in other parts of the body. It has less keratinized layer which is that layer that gives skin more protection .

"This keratinized layer of skin is responsible for keeping water in the body and keeping other harmful chemicals and pathogens out...."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin)

Using a gentle cleanser will help cleanse the area but prevent further irritation.