red bumps on fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red bumps on fingers

For the last 20 years I have gotten small red bumps on the sides of my fingers.  They don't blister.  They start out as one or two and then I might get a few more and they seem to cluster up on only the sides of my fingers.  They are not itchy but they are sore to the touch when you run your finger over them.  It feels like you have a splinter.  They are slightly raised and red in color.  They will stay for varying lengths of time and then dry up and go away.  Usually not for more than a couple of weeks.  I may go for months and months and not get them and then all of a sudden they show up.  I have been to various dermatologists over the years and they seem puzzled and never seem to know what they are.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Bumps on the fingers may have herpetic whitlow, dishydrosis or pompholyx and fungal infections as differentials. Warts and molluscum may also be considered however, these are flesh or skin colored and may be excluded in your case. This may be herpetic whitlow. Herpetic whitlow is caused by HSV type 1 and may be present for a certain period of time. It may persist and recur given the right triggers eg stress, certain activities and extreme temperatures. Herpetic lesions are burning and tingling in character and may readily disappear without scarring.

I suggest you have this seen by an infectious disease specialist.

Have you had chicken pox before?
My mother doesn't remember me having chicken pox but with 4 children back to back..I guess you can lose track.  I looked up Herpetic whitlow and my fingers do not look exactly like that.  Mine do not blister up with fluid.  They are not as raised or infected looking.  You really don't even notice them on my fingers unless you are really looking and run your hand along them and press.  When you press down across them they hurt like a sticker is in them.  My hands also feel really dry in those areas almost like wind burn when I have them and they seem to just get more dry until the bumps are gone.  They are barely raised.  I looked at molluscum and warts and it is definitely not that.  The closest in looks is the dishydrosis or pompholyx but it would be a very minor version of the pictures I see on line.  Do they only post the worst ones?  The only thing about the dishydrosis or pompholyx is that it doesn't itch.  I have also been married for 14 years and have 2 children and none of them have it...I have to believe that if it was contagious that someone would have gotten it by now.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Dishydrosis may be the likely diagnosis here given that there are no redness, tingling or pain in the affected areas. Dishydrosis may be itchy when a dermatitic component is present. If this is present, the itch scratch cycle may cause excoriations and weeping in the area as it affects even normal skin.

I do not think this is infectious although it may be a chronic inflammatory condition. If you have previous history of eczematous skin conditions before then this may be something dermatitic.
I would send a picture but I don't see where you do that.  It is slightly red but even the area around it is also red...like dry skin..dishpan hands.  It doesn't itch but when pressed on it feels like a splinter and is a little sore.
Hi Vanessa,

I actually get the exact same thing you do: Tiny red bumps on my fingers (often though near the joints of my fingers like my knuckles but not exclusively). I've actually just started getting them around my elbows too. They're not particularly noticeable to anyone but me. They don't really hurt (unless I push on them) and they don't really itch (maybe a tiny bit once and a while).

I've had them my whole life and they don't seem to be contagious. They can disappear for months and then reappear all of a sudden. They usually reappear when Im stressed out (like now, as Im studying for the Bar exam and under a bit of stress). And, my Dermatologist is stumped.

Just to add something here, I dont think I've ever had the chicken pox either but I was vaccinated for it last year. So, I feel like its not related. Also the dishydrosis just doesnt seem like the right fit but who knows?

If you find anything more out, I'm all ears.

Kendra
Hi Vanessa,

And again... I think your description fits the sort of lumps I get on my fingers.  They don't come on the palmar surface of my fingers, just the sides and tops... and never on the back of the hand, only just to the joint where the finger meets the hand (MCP joint).  They measure between ~2mm and ~8mm in size (usually 3-4mm), are red and slightly raised, and aren't filled with fluid.  Clumping around the joints is more likely than on the shaft of the phalanges.  They're painful (well... uncomfortable) to touch or rub, and usually disappear within a couple of weeks.  I've had perhaps up to 20 episodes of this happening in the last 7-8 years.

None of the medico's I've chatted to have a clear diagnosis.  I've had chicken pox (some 18 years ago), and tend to think that mine come on when I'm under stress (physical or emotional)... usually if I've trained really hard (running / biking).  They tend to crop up two to five days after the peak stress / tiredness has been, and can number anywhere from three or four through to fifteen - twenty.

Anyway - hope this contribution helps.  If anyone has some ideas on a definitive diagnosis, I'd love to know!!

Thanks,

jon

My name is Sarah and I'm 17. I have exactly what you say. Little reddish bumps on the sides of my fingers then on my joints of my fingers. They are really red but they give off a little pinkish tint that you can tell that they are there. It never itches but if you push on them it feels like little needles. They can get so badly around my joints that it hurts to bend my finger, open any bottle of any sort, grip a pencil, etc... we looked everything up but cant figure out what it is. It will go away then come back. I have gotten them before but not as bad as i have them now. Last time i have gotten them was over the summer. now i have them again and its about mid-march. At first i thought i was getting them because i touched something (like the lockers at my school), but I have never been sure. Im starting to get really desperate to find out what they are so i can get rid of them. I hate going to school then have to sit through the pain of holding a pencil. I love to draw and its my passion to go on with drawing. This just makes it hard to do so...

Sarah
I read the first post by "rnhd123" and I have the EXACT same issue with my right hand.  I noticed it back in November and thought it was a splinter so I dug around in my finger with needle trying to get whatever it was out...but eventually realized nothing was in there.  I went to the dermatologist and at first he thought it could be eczema and he prescribed me some ointment.  However that did not seem to help...then he thought it could be perniois (Chilblains) because it is currently cold here in Ohio and I wasn't always wearing gloves outside.  I am supposed to go back in the summer time to see how it is doing.  

I really don't think it is either of those two things.  It is only on my right hand on my fingers (not my thumb).  I mostly have them appear on my ringer finger and my middle finger, and they mostly appear above the knuckle on the sides of the fingers.  They feel like splinters.  I am really surprised that my dermatologist couldn't diagnose it and I'm feeling pretty desperate at this point too!  I am a 32 year old male and don't want to deal with this annoying thing for the rest of my life.  

I will add, the degree of stress I have been under for the last few years has gone up...not sure how that would impact it, but from what I've read, I guess it can sometimes factor in.

Jeff
I too have noticed these little red bumps on my fingers as you describe.  I could go for months or even years without them, and then they appear again, seemingly out of nowhere.  I've seen my doctor about this and they didn't really know what could be causing it.  I also saw a naturopath and he says they are due to an overgrowth of yeast/bad bacteria in my intestines (from eating too much refined wheat and sugar mostly).  He put me on a program to help clean out my intestines and then replace the good bacteria.  I've done this a couple times now, and both times it seemed to clear up the problem, and I then I wouldn't notice them again (for years) until I start eating too much wheat and sugar.  I'm not 100% positive this is the cause, but I'm willing to cut back on wheat and sugar as it really seems to help.
I have just recently begun suffering from the same ailment.  These small red bumps/sores come so quickly that I will wake up in the morning with as many as 4 new ones on my hand.  I only ever get them on my right hand and they persist for weeks at a time until finally they fade away.  They cluster at the joints of my knuckles, mostly on the inside of my hand and between my fingers.  Its so painful for me to bend my fingers and move my hand.  I work in a laboratory and wearing tight fitting gloves for long hours and pipetting is becoming increasingly more difficult.  
At first I thought they were from something that I had touched, like a newly flowered bush outside my apartment, but even after I started avoiding it they continue to appear.  
I have not yet been to see a doctor about this because I don't know if when I get there they will still be present.  
What could I do to make the pain subside? - any ideas?

~Stephanie~
For the last few years I have had these little bumps show up for a little while and then go away.  Similar to all of you, they show up on the same fingers/hands near the joints.  Up until this episode, I only got them one at a time, but this time I have three clustered together and it's a lot more irritating.  I have had a lot of stress lately and just increased my exercise program a lot, so maybe it has to do with that?  Anyway, if anyone finds out more info on this, I would love to know how to avoid/get rid of it.

Thanks!
I too have these bumps.  I've been trying to find something that would explain why I get them.  But it certainly seems like it is stress.  I don't think the wheat causes them b/c I am gluten intolerant and have not had any wheat in three months and I have just recently gotten a new bout of bumps.  Mine also only show up on the index and middle fingers on my right hand.  It's really strange.  It's even more strange that no one has found a dermatologist who has any idea what it could be.  I do have a wart that is on the same hand that I've had for 8 years...it will NOT go away...very annoying.  I wonder if this has to do with HPV?  Do any of you all get warts on or around your hands/fingers?
Me also, I have been getting these for about 5 years, once mentioned it to a doc in passing and she was stumped. Im now 25. They come and go with anything of up to 6 months inbetween but once I have one more seem to follow very easily. this is especially after opening stiff bottles or carrying shopping bags that sit in the crook of my knuckles. they are always around the finger joints and a little tender to run your finger over.
I am worried it is the onset of a nodular arthritis as it runs in the family and as a piano teacher would be a great nuisance to say the least!
any input from anyone appreciated
I have the same exact bumps.  On my left sides of my index and middle finger and only on my right hand.  It's painful to hold a pen and write.  They have come and gone over the years.  I would like to find a treatment but don't have the time to go on a wild goose chase with doctors.  If any of you have found a way to treat this, please respond!
I have the same problem, with a few differences.
The red spots aren't limited to the joints or sides of my fingers, rather they can appear anywhere on my palm or the underside of my fingers.

I've had this years ago but with just a couple of spots, however, last winter I got dozens on my hands.  I started using "Badger Balm" and they seemed to go away. I doubt there's a connection, though.

Last week the red spots came back. I had perhaps a dozen total, across both hands, and then last night I used a weedwacker. The vibrations from the tool made it feel like I had grains of sand trapped under my skin--VERY uncomfortable. And now this morning, I can count at least 100 red spots across both palms. The stress directly on my hands definitely exacerbated the problem. In fact, right after using the weedwacker, you could look at my hand at an angle and see the dozens of small bumps.

I type, write and edit for a living, if the problem persists at this level it could be quite debilitating.

Has anyone here tried cortisone creams, anti-histamines or oral prednisone? Those are all treatments I've seen mentioned elsewhere on the Net. I'll be trying at least one of them very soon as I can't stand this. Elsewhere online, I've also seen that stress and anxiety can bring these red spots up or make it worse. Anyone experience that?

Regarding background: I did have a couple of warts on my hands when I was a child (more than 20 years ago). Those were removed by a dermatologist with liquid nitrogen and cutting and have never come back in any form.
I have the same exact problem as you do rnhd123..I've been to the doctor about them as well..
I was reading you all's conversation and notice "chicken pox" being brought up quite a few times and that you don't remember having it.. Well, when I was young I am for certain I did have chicken pox and it was horrible! I also had the measles 5 or 6 times as well. Doctors say that isn't normal but it happened. So I don't really think these bumps are associated with chicken pox..but that is only my opinion.

I'm 19 and have had this problem with bumbs on the sides of my fingers for as long as I can remember..
I am starting to believe it is from stress because it seems like everytime I get them something "bad" or "hectic" has happened in my life.. Just two days ago my chihuahua gave birth to puppies..I was a nervous wreck the entire night...The next morning when I woke up..There they were just a couple of little red bumbs..its been a day since then and more have appeared..They are pretty painful..Especially when you have to take off a ring or something and it scratches across them..

If any one finds out what they are please post your answers :)) I would greatly appreciate it.
It’s very hard to know for sure what could be the cause; the symptoms are very much alike between many diseases. Therefore, I think it’s very important to be very specific when describing how it happened has it might help to make a differential (I know you described pretty well but consider this), for instance, try to answer the following question…
When did you notice the lesion?
It started like a mosquito bite? Or not?
Did the lesion fell like burning, itchy, sore? Or not?  For how long?
Did it hurt when you moved your finger?  Or not?
Did your finger get swollen?or not?  For how long?
Has it spread to other fingers?
Has it changed color?
What makes it worst? (pain, etc.)
What makes it better?
Where did you first see it? (knuckles, between knuckles, next to the nail or away, etc)
Is it like below the skin, above the skin?
What medication have you used in the past 6 months?
Do you have a chronic disease that you are aware of? (Ulcerative Colitis, Chrons Disease, Atopic dermatitis, Psoriasis, etc)
What about Herpes? (have ever had it on your lips)
Did you have flu like symptoms, with the occurrence of your problem?
Do you have a pet?
And so on…
The Idea is to know if it is infectious, autoimmune even malignancy
If it is infectious there is always a treatment, if it is autoimmune probably there isn’t but at least you’ll know what it is, and maybe you can get something for the symptoms.
There are some many things your doctor has to know just to be able to have a clue…

By the way IM NOT A DOCTOR… so this is just an opinion of what you could do…
hi all
let me introduce my little opinion,
it may be mild grade of dermatotmystosis which is exagerated by stress.
OR may be sort of peripheral insufficiency or neuropathy.
OR may be anything else due to stress
MAY U WILL LIKE ZINC TAB to relieve mood instability
So, I see I'm not alone. I'm currently having a flare up on the finger bumps. it's only happened one other time and went away in a couple of weeks. The doc was stumped back then, told me it was dermatitis...which I know it was not. The bumps cluster on the sides of my fingers & my thumbs, more around the knuckle joints. My index fingers are definitely the worst. The weather is very cold right now and my skin is extremely dry. As others have mentioned, I am also under an extreme amount of stress the last 10 days...fender-bender with my car, financial pressure, work issues... I'm also pregnant. I noticed the bumps when I woke up yesterday morning. They make the knuckle joints stiff and it feels like the skin is stretched tight. It's hard to hold a pen or open a jar, etc. This morning they are definitely worse, more of them and hurts to bend my fingers. Nothing on my hands or feet, fingers & thumbs only.  
The last time I had this someone suggested "Fifths Disease" which is a common childhood virus. There was an outbreak at our local schools at the time. It's one of those illnesses that if you fail to get as a child, can hit you really hard as an adult. It really seemed to fit my symptoms at the time...but you only get it once.
The stress link is interesting. I was under a lot of stress the first time it appeared as well. It sure seems to me that this is some kind of auto-immune response. I was sick last week...headaches, body aches, congestion, etc. I suppose this could be part of a viral response.  It does NOT seem to be a skin issue that can be treated topically. It annoys me to be told this by the "experts" at the clinic.  I'll have to post back and report the duration this time.
Okay okay. I heard some answers here that are just not posible for this person who posted. Because she said she had this for 20 years!
What stays around for 20 years and doesn't get worse, but is almost always persistant to the same level or so?
Allergic contact dermatitis. And it will be around until she dies. Because it never goes away.
I mean my God! Look at the doctors answer. Here I will paste it here and then break it down. Bumps on the fingers may have herpetic whitlow, dishydrosis or pompholyx and fungal infections as differentials. Warts and molluscum may also be considered however, these are flesh or skin colored and may be excluded in your case. This may be herpetic whitlow. Herpetic whitlow is caused by HSV type 1 and may be present for a certain period of time. It may persist and recur given the right triggers eg stress, certain activities and extreme temperatures. Herpetic lesions are burning and tingling in character and may readily disappear without scarring.

Have you had chicken pox before?

Lets start at the top and work down. Okay, remember she had this for 20 years.
The first 5 are not a 20 year thing for one, so I will end there on those. Warts are flesh colored like she said, so that rules that out.
Herpetic lesions are burning and tingling so it can't be that.
Infectious disease would have worsened or killed her by 20 years later.
And chicken pox don't last 20 years either. Every thing she said was not even worth putting up.
But it is the standard answer for bumps on fingers. Copied and pasted to everyone who has bumps. A generic answer. And that is what doctors do.
With no regard to personal symptoms or conditions they are in. Or things the hands come in contact with.
I just went to a thrift store today and have never experienced these red bumps on my hands before. I was getting ready to go out and noticed how painful one was so i put neosporin on it and a bandaid and then noticed all of the others. Earlier today i went to a thrift store and was searching around for clothes, about an hour or so later i started developing small, but painful to the touch, red blisters on my fingers. I'm not sure what to do but they seem to be on many of my fingers and especially their joints. I spoke to my friend who says that she has them too, it seems to have something to do with what we touched today seeing as I was with her in the thrift store, hopefully it is just some sort of allergic reaction. I will let you know as my search progresses
Wow, I'm relieved to see there are so many of us with the same condition. I too have red bumps, mainly on my right hand along the sides of my fingers and around the finger joints. I thought they might be from my washing powder? Do any of you experience a burning sensation in the affected hand?  Mine too come and go. I've got a sinus infection at the moment, so maybe it is linked to low immunity?  
I haven't been to the DR about them yet, doesn't seem like they can shed any light on the matter either.
Thanks.
I am happy to find out that I am not the only one who has these bumps!! I have had them for at least 20 years of and on and no Dr has ever been able to tell me anything about them. I wa told they could be hormone related, but  the stress link makes a lot of sense.I have been under a lot of stress for awhile. Also, I did have chicken pox as a child if that makes a difference. I also disagree with the diagnosis of "contact dermatitis"...the answer for anything a Dr can figure out!
Has anyone found a treament for this, or is this a lifelong problem?
I just posted about this as well.  I have the very same thing happen.  They started to appear a couple of weeks ago and I've been researching them.  Last night I put hydrochortisone cream on the bumps.  They didn't go away but I didn't have anymore appear.  I'm not sure what it is either.
I have also had these tiny red bumps.  They feel like a splinter or sticker-burr under the skin.  I currently have them on my right pinkie so everytime I need to write something it hurts.  The area all around the bumps is red.  I have something similar on my pointer finger below the middle knuckle.  This area became very swollen and is just starting to go down.  I saw a dermatologist for another reason and he suggested chilblains.  Having done some research, and with a history (the last few years) of having reddish-purple toe joints that seem to almost blister--only in winter--I think he is correct.  Hopefully they will go away on their own.
I found this site in search of a diagnosis for these bumps which I have too.  Exact same symptoms.  I'm searching now because I believe they're certainly caused by stress:  it's the holiday season and I'm definitely stressing out and, right on schedule, they show up.  They don't bother me but my family has come to recognize it like the bat signal that I'm freaking out about something.  I've come to use it as my body's outward warning system.

I find it amazing that a doctor can't figure out what it is with the condition so widespread!  I wish someone would return to this board with an answer.
I am feeling pretty desperate. I stumbled upon this site and finally was relieved to find others who seem to be suffering from the same complaint as myself. For the last 6 or 7 years I have developed red, sometimes swollen, bumps/lumps which lay on my knuckles and on the tops of my fingers. They are not exactly painful but when you knock them or run your finger over them for instance they feel quite sore and 'blister like'. I get these all times of the year so the weather does not seem to be factor. However, I have noticed that in the summer, they seem to worsen. The area around them can also become dry and scaly looking. I have been referred to a dermatology clinic and after several consultations the specialists can not seem to help me. I have received light therapy treatment, steroid cream etc and this not help. I have asked if I can be referred for allergy testing etc and the consultants seem to be reluctant to do this so now I feel like banging my head against a brick wall. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the condition is not life threatening but even so it is making me very depressed. If any of you are any closer to discovering what this is or any treatments that may help, I'd be very grateful to hear from you.
Thanks a lot
Stacey
I was looking for information regarding the symptoms listed above and found this forum.     Has anyone had contact with tea tree oil?   I used a product called Dr Bronners Magic Soap which contains tea tree oil and shortly after has these symptoms on my fingers and palms.    I had gotten it on my hands when applying it on my foot.   I noticed an even more severe reaction on my foot after finding information about tea tree oil.

I found this info regarding contact dermatitis regarding tea tree oil

"Tea tree oil should not be used orally; there are reports of toxicity after consuming tea tree oil by mouth. When applied to the skin, tea tree oil is reported to be mildly irritating and has been associated with the development of allergic contact dermatitis, which may limit its potential as a topical agent for some patients".

There are other ingredients and oils in this soap which could be at issue.    I have never had these symptoms before and have not used this product before.    I don't recall useing tea tree oil before either
I have the exact symptoms everyone here describes.  I am so glad to hear it is not herpes or some crazy thing like that.  I have just recently started getting them.  At first I thought it was a splinter.  And if it helps I had one on my finger where I usually get it, and then we had that crazy blizzard here in Oklahoma and I was outside helping people unstick their vehicles and the next day a huge cluster started around the original spot and then on the index finger of the other hand.  I think dermatologists are really hit and miss. I won't even go to one.
I get them also. They start out small and some grow especially if messed with and they burn when touched. The first time I noticed them is when I was in Turkey.
I looked at photos of what people might think they are and they still don't fall under those. These never get a scab on them or get yellow looking
wow
i get the same little bumps on the sides of my fingers
i get them every year
only in the winter time
when it's cold and dry
i'm also washing my hands a lot
they seem to pop out more
can't remember how long
at least 10 years
they are annoying
sometimes i think it's from
latex dishwashing gloves
but i do dishes all year round
and only get these in the winter...
small red bumps not too noticeable
until you run your finger over them
then they hurt
no puss or fluid
no scabs or scaling
they just come and go
I have been having this same issue.  I posted some pics to my profile.  Do Real Doctors come on this forum?  I would like to know, what causes these, and what can be done to heal them.  At times, when the outbreak is bad, it can be quiet painful, as I'm not able to use my hands and fingers without touching the bumps and making the pain increase.  They are not puss filled and are almost solid. Please help!
The day before new years eve i started to get these lumps on the fingers of my left hand.Within a week they had spread to my right fingers,and toes on both feet.All symptoms are exactly the same as many people have described above.
I went to the doctor about stomach problems,and asked him about them while i was there,but he didn't have a clue !
I saw this page about a week ago,and have been searching the net on and off for an anser since.I now have an answer i'm happy with !!!!
A female friend of mine posted on her facebook page that she had " Chilblaines " and they were itching like mad.Mine are itching very badly today,so i looked it up !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilblains

I now believe i have a diagnosis for my condition !!
I have a lump on my right index finger just above the knuckle. Have had it for a good few months. Just recently, it would appear that I have two lumps starting up on the same site, but on the other hand. Not at all painful but I am afraid I feel it makes my hands look rather awful. When holding a pen etc. I feel the lump is a bit of an impediment to writing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
My mother has the same thing as you all describe. Small red spots on her fingers that hurt when you push on them. She had sinusitis and the antibiotic the Dr. put her on helped clear them up. They are back now and today she went to the dermatologist. The derm. cut off a red spot and is sending it in to be tested. She said it would take about two weeks for results. When we get the results I will post them so that it could possibly help some of you!! Good luck
I can't tell you how much reading this forum means to me.  I have these bumps.  They started a few years ago, typically only one at a time.  Usually one right after the other not in the same spot.  As time went by I started to get a small cluster.  Just two evenings ago right in the middle of eating my dinner both of my hands broke out with them and I have as many as 50 of them this evening.  I have never experienced them like this.  I was planning on calling my doctor tomorrow, but after reading this forum I don't know that it will help.  What I can add is that I started a very intense exercise program last week, and the two weeks before that my father had a quadruple heart bypass surgery so I am going to say that this is most definitely stress related.  But any type of cream or medication to help clear these flare-ups would be greatly appreciated!!!
I have the same thing and it's beginning to bother me. This is the third little red bump on my fingers in the past two months. They come and go, but this one i'm determined to find out what it is. At first I was thinking my bed might have had bugs, so I washed everything and got a new mattress. It was time anyway. But they still keep appearing. It looks almost like the beginning of a zit. It's about the size of the num-lock light, including the red skin around it, and when I squeeze it a very very small amount of blood and clear liquid come out.They are usually close to joints, this one right now right behind the second joint of my index on the side towards my thumb.

It only hurts when there's pressure on it and it never itches, and never comes in groups, just one at a time. I've had this one for about two weeks so far, but don't want to pay to go see a dermatologyst. If it helps, It's cold and dry weather right now. I shower daily. No tree oils or anything weird like that. I'm not sure if I've had chicken pox but I know for a fact this isn't it. I've read through here and nothing seems to help me, since mine seems less severe than the others. Or is mine just building up?
Not third.. sorry people.. thirteenth.
Sorry about the typos people... In a completely different world. Five months.
I have the same problem for quite a few years.  I also have a problem with my one toe, every winter it gets very red on top of my second toe, and extremely itchy, it sometimes turns a deep red or even purple.  My feet and fingers get extremely cold very fast. They get so cold in the winter that they sometimes get numb after only being outside for 10 or 15 mins.  I will have to use a heating pad on them to warm them up.  The red bumps on my fingers are exactly what everyone explains here, and seems to only come in the winter. Anyone have the problem on their toes?  I went to the dermatologist a few years back, he said he thinks it's pernio on my toes, but didn't think it was the same on my fingers, but they do seem to come at the same time.  Right now i have both.  When I look up pictures of pernio, it doesn't look like it, unless mine is a mild case.  I was told that pernio could have been caused due to stress from having frost bite earlier in my life.  I don't remember having frost bite, just that I have always had extremely cold hands and feet all the time.  My doctor also said it could be Lupus pernio, which is not the really bad autoimmune kind.  Just a skin problem.  Does this seem to fit anyone here?
what i have is more like amorris72200.
look at pics on her profile
definitely not chilblains
i have a cluster on my thumb now
you can barely see them
but you can feel them under the skin
these showed up yesterday
and might be gone by the end of today
it's weird
they can come and go and change so rapidly
i rarely get anything on the sides or knuckles of the finger
usually on the fingertips or palms
but mostly tips
i was washing my hands a lot yesterday at work
and now it's much worse
just annoying to touch
but not super painful
i'd say 2 on a scale of 1-10
sorry to ramble...
I can't believe I have finally found someone else who has this!  I have had this for 10 years.  I have been to numerous docs and it has stumped them.  I had it biopsied and that was the most interesting.  The dermatologist who read the biopsy said it was "lupus like"  They followed up with some 1000 dollar test that failed to confirm lupus.  The dermatologist told me she felt I had a auto-immune disorder in evolution and that time would tell.  I have since been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid arthritis.  When I get these bumps it comes with a worsening of joint pain , fatigue and symptoms globally. I feel they are auto-immune. Hope this helps.
Wow - After 15 years of suffering on and off with the same symptoms I finally feel as if I'm not alone. Same cluster of red bumps yadah, yadah, yadah. When I first began getting these I was smoking and went to numerous rheumotologists and dermatologists. Mine were biopsied as well. I was told that it was chillblains. Another name for this is perniosis. This is considered an "allergy to the cold above freezing." Mine usually come in the fall or winter but I too have gotten in the summer so this diagnosis doesn't make sense unless you include air conditioning as a possible trigger. I usually get it around my period when I am particularly fatigued. I think I will go back and get another lupus test. However, the one 15 years ago was negative. I do however, suffer from ulcerative colitis but have been in remission.
I just recently decided to do a search on this issue- I have the same thing going on that most of you describe. It is not chillblains or anything else that was specifically suggested so far, though- the pictures from all of the suggestions that I find are so much more severe, while the spots I have are barely noticable in comparison. The spots on my fingers look like that of rnhd123's pictures. I've been getting them for several years, and they seem to show up more in the winter and when I am stressed. Right now, they are at the worse they've been but, still, no one else ever notices them- I think the the problem right now is that they show up on my middle finger where my pen hits when I write. They are always on my right hand, on my index, middle and (sometimes) ring fingers, and always at or around the top joint. They hang around for at least a week, sometimes a few, and then "dry up", although there is never any liquid and they aren't even really that raised. They pretty much only hurt when I press on them, and it almost feels like I have a splinter. I do not believe they are related to anything I use, and no creams or treatments clear them. Anyhow, I am just writing to say this happens to me, too! I have no other health issues, really- nothing serious going on.

-Jill
EVON J.Australia.
I have now got raised red spots on fingers of both hands, started about 3 days ago. Same areas as described by others who have posted comments. I have not had these before. I believed it may have something to do with being on antibiotics for 3+ weeks to fight a lung infection.
Fits the stress idea also with body fighting infection. No emotional stress involved in my case. I would be curious to find out if others had been on antibiotics prior to getting the sore spots. Has been very hot & humid here which may or may not be a contributing factor.
Antibiotics I have taken are 2 x Augmentin Duo Forte, 1x Zedd & now taking second lot of Rulide. Still have infection despite all these.
Anyone who has been taking antibiotics prior to their spots appearing please name the antibiotic in case there may be a link. I did have chicken pox as a small child. Am now 65yrs old.
So I have these little bumps too...only on the underside of my fingers and they first appear sore and red then the redness goes away and eventually they disappear. I think I have one on the underside of my toe and it's driving me crazy. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow, but after reading all these posts, I'm guessing it's going to be an unproductive visit. I've never had these before, just within the last couple of months. Wish I knew what they were!
EVON J Australia  Day 4 of spots & more appeared. Am going to take multivitamins to see if that helps. I should have mentioned in my comments yesterday that I do a lot of gardening & often do not bother to put gloves on & am handling compost, manure in the soil, bark chips etc. Is this something sufferers may have in common. If doctors don't have an answer we had better find out what we have in common that may cause the spots. My previous comment made yesterday mentioned I have been ill for a few weeks with a sinus & lung infection & taking antibiotics which I listed. If any of you can relate to the gardening, the illness or antibiotics taken please let the rest of us know so we can get to the bottom of this. Should also have included that as a result of being on the antibiotics I had thrush & thought I was getting mouth ulcers as small lumps were on the inside of my mouth. Treated mouth same day with NILSTAT & lumps abated. Thrush treated with CANESTAN as soon as it was evident. Maybe there is a link with others there. Would appreciate comments as soon as possible. Am seeing my doctor tomorrow & trust he will follow up on a cause & cure. The better informed I am the more likely he can get to the bottom of this. Will send a comment tomorrow after my doctors visit.
from EVON J Australia.Will be pleased to get your mum's results. One thing she had in common with me was a sinus infection. What medications was she on before getting the red spots? Did she take something for the sinus problem like anti allergy tabs, cold & flu tabs? If so what ones? What substances were in their makeup? If you can find out  I can try to establish content similarities in medications.
One person mentioned latex gloves as a possible cause & that is something many of us probably have in common.
Tea Tree oil  mentioned as a possible cause by one person but I have not used it for at least 6 yrs & never found a problem with it. Used it as a cleaning agent & it did cause dryness though.Have used a Tea Tree oil deodorant years ago with no ill effects.
Dry skin may also be a common factor. Several people got them in Winter when dry skin can be a problem. However it is very hot here in Sydney with temps in the high 30's & very humid. Dry skin could still be relevant to me as I seldom use hand moisturisers & have my hands in water a lot. My latex gloves had a hole in them & I was too ill with pneumonia to shop for replacement so washing up detergent could be another common factor. Lets get all the common possibilities up so we can get a good overall picture. I certainly don't want these sore spots to be a continual problem as I have gone from one spot to 9 spots in 4 days & am having difficulty with holding utensils.
from EVON J Australia.
Hi was wondering if you had any success with the treatments you were going to try. See my comments re sore red spots made yesterday & today please. Hope hands have improved for you. Am trying to find commonalities in sufferers.
Hello All.  I am so glad to have found this post.  I just noticed mine, the exact same thing on my left index, and middle fingers.  Most of them are around my middle [larger] knuckle.  They feel a little sore beneath the surface.  They are red, but not too terribly raised.

It's kind of interesting though, because right now I too have a sinus infection.  I am prone to sinus infections and usually get about three or so a year.

This is the first time I have ever noticed these little things.  When I first noticed them earlier this morning they did not hurt.  But, about ten minutes before I found this post I touched one again and right away it felt exactly like a sore spot where they'd be a splinter.  This was before I read this post, [so there's no power of suggestion here].  Their being sore was my reason for looking on line to figure out their origin.

I am 23 years old.  Another common thread that someone said earlier in this post is that I actually work at a thrift store, and I just worked last night.

This whole thing is so weird, and I just wish that someone or some doctor would please figure out / come forward with what this is that we are all suffering from.

-FliesofJar

I was very happy to find this forum because now I don't feel alone in this. Like most of you, I've been getting this on the sides and backs of my fingers (on my right hand, mainly) on and off for years (only in cold weather seasons). I've been to several dermatologists about it with the frustrating result that they say they've never seen anything like it and dismiss it as "mild warts" or various other generic diagnosis' that don't seem to fit the symptoms, or suggest biopsies I can't afford.

However, based on my experience, the following seem to help reduce the occurrences and the severity of the outbreaks:

Consistently keep hands warm by wearing gloves, rubbing hands together, etc. when in cold environments.

Avoid rapidly heating hands when they do get too cold (I am a waitress and the constant hand washing in hot water, especially right after coming in from outside when I first start seems to make it worse)
.
For immediate relief, Burt's Bees RES-Q OINTMENT (calms pain and visibly reduces swelling as well)

Exercise (increasing circulation seems to help, I think this may be another reason I get these in winter as I am much less active)

So, nothing fancy, but these steps have made this easier for me to live with.
Wow, I am in the same boat. Glad to see I'm not alone with this.

I have tried everything from changing diet, to watching what I touch, to changing laundry detergent and soaps. I still get them on and off. I really think it's stress.

BTW, this probably isn't a very good idea or sterile, but for the past several years, I have gotten so annoyed by them, when I get them that I will break out a needle and puncture them and squeez all the clear fluid out, which seems to keep coming for about a day or so. I just bleed it throughout the day. Its not alot of fluid but it is still significant.

And puncturing them is nothing like a blister or pimple. They have a pretty thick amount of skin above them, so you have to dig. But I can't stand the pressure of the fluid.

By doing this it keeps the pressure from building up and doesn't hurt as much when I bend my fingers or press on them. I think it's more of an obsession or something. I just can't stand seeing that fluid filled little bump sit there on my finger.
I was wondering, it seems that most people are saying they get these on their right hand. Is that because it is most people's dominate hand?

Also, obviously there are few posts on here that don't relate to what most of us have, where it's not itchy, and only on the sides of knucles of the hand.

For me it could be stress cause I've had some tonsillitis thing the past week and basically haven't been able to eat. What is interesting though is that I was recently put on antibiotics for it like others. But related to other people like the Aussie, my doctor now thinks it might be a yeast infection in my throat (thrush) so it could be related to that instead. I'm not sure. I'm going to go try the Burts Bees stuff if the opintments I have dont do it.
look up 'Hand foot and mouth' painful red spots ...
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hARDIN/MD/dermatlas/handfootmouth.html

hope this help. as the name suggest can affect hands, feet and mouth but not necessarily all together
I also have the little bumps on my fingers. not on the palms or tops of my hands just the tops and sides of me fingers.  ive only recently gotten then and i have never had the chicken pox.... they are only on  my right hand, mostly my middle finger.
I get these same type of red bumps on the tops and sides of my fingers, and on my elbows and kneecaps. I have noticed a correlation with the sun and when the bumps come. They sound the same as the bumps that are being described here- red, uncomfortable to the touch, dry. I had none of these over the winter. Now that there has been sun these last few beautiful days, some popped up again. I am guessing it is just some kind of allergic reaction to the sun, but I want to make sure it is not a sign of something more serious. Other than being annoying and having a sore on my hands, they do not bother me too much. I'd be interested if anyone else has noticed a correlation to the sun?
I have also had these little red finger bumps for the past several years, and am surprised to see how many other people have the same problem. I've never thought it was anything serious, just a mild annoyance, but it still bugs me that no one seems to know what it is.

The only thing that seems to have any correlation with these bumps, is that it's stress-related. I also found it interesting, as Kooops said, that a lot of people are saying that it mainly appears on their right hand. Mine is also mainly on my right hand, which makes me think that it's not from touching something, because that would likely affect both hands. Unless it's from touching a pen or pencil, or something along those lines, but then I use pens and pencils all the time, and the bumps only appear every few months or so. I just find it interesting that it seems to be predominant on one hand over the other.

I used to think that it was related to my hands sweating, but I don't think that's it. I wish somebody could figure out what this is.
Wow, it's amazing that so many people have the same small red bumps as I do.  I've had mine for a couple of weeks along with very dry hands from what I believe is from using harsh soap (anti-bacteria) and baby wipes (have a ten month old).  My bumps are also on the right hand.  They are on the inside of my index finger (left side from the knuckle to the top) and on my pinky finger (from the knuckle down).  I do have a lot of stress in my life at the moment.  I've tried aquaphor, Vaseline, cortisone from the drug store and so far nothing is working.  As soon as I secure a new job with health benefits, I will visit a dermatologist.
Hi everyone. I have the same strange red bumps on my fingers. I believe my body is reacting to something ingested. I have been keeping track of when they pop up. I have ruled out stress, because my bumps do not come out from that. But they do pop up after I ingest 3 things. Dairy, refined sugar and chocolate. I don't eat refined sugar and have a dairy allergy, so no dairy of any kind. But when I do cheat, like Easter chocolate or ice cream, they come out. The problem with that is that all three things are usually in the chocolate and ice cream and I can't pin point it. I am hoping that this post give some of you an "Ah Ha" moment. I will post again after I experiment with reintroducing these items, one at a time. Be well.
I have the exact same symptoms!  Have had for 20+ years.  Mystified the dermatologists.  One suggested:  acrokeratoelastoidosis (or versions thereof).

In my case, one spot on my lower right forefinger always recurs.  It was the first spot from 20 years ago.  I recently had it biopsied and it was actinic keratosis - precancerous.  FYI

I have the same symptoms.  Tiny small red bumps on the inside of my right pinkie finger in a cluster as of right now and others will come and go generally on the sides of my fingers -- never near my joints.  They never itch or burn, but will feel like a splinter with pressure, as others have described.  I had chicken pox when I was younger, and I have allergies to environmental factors, but have only recently gotten these (within the past six months) and I am 20 years old.  I am a junior in nursing school and a nurse's tech at a local hospital and I have never come across a patient or friend with these, nor have I found these in any of my nursing books.  I had common warts on my hands previous to these and got rid of them roughly 3 years ago with hypnosis (frozen nitrogen and lazer therapy did not help).  I know the hypnosis worked because after fighting to get rid of these my whole life, I was desperate & tried hypnosis and they were gone within 2 weeks.  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with what these are as there are many different strains of the HPV virus.  I also am under alot of stress related to school, money, etc.  However, I can't think of anything new or different that would trigger this.  I am a healthy eater, have not changed soaps, detergent, etc., so I'm stumped as well.  I will make a dermatologist appointment and see what he says - if it is anything useful, I will be sure to let you know! :)
Types of Eczema
Dyshidrotic Dermatitis

Occurring only on the palms of the hands, sides of the fingers, and soles of the feet, this common eczema typically causes a burning or itching sensation and a blistering rash. Some patients say the blisters resemble tapioca pudding.

Other Names

*

Hand eczema
    *

Pompholyx
    *

Vesicular eczema
    *

Vesicular palmoplantar eczema

Some medical conditions increase the risk of developing dyshidrotic dermatitis. This 43-year-old woman had asthma and later developed dyshidrotic dermatitis.

(Photo used with permission of the American Academy of Dermatology National Library of Dermatologic Teaching Slides)

Signs and Symptoms

*

Small, deep blisters can form on the palms, sides of the fingers, and/or soles
    *

Intense burning or itching
    *

Inflamed skin (reddish and hot to the touch)
    *

Cracking and peeling skin
    *

Affected areas may sweat excessively
    *

Skin may become infected, causing oozing blisters and crusts
    *

Skin between the fingers can soften; skin may feel spongy
    *

Nail changes if dyshidrotic dermatitis persists for a long time. The fingernails can develop ridges and pitting. The nails may thicken and discolor.
    *

Sometimes as the skin clears, the skin peels and a new crop of blisters appear
    *

Extensive peeling and cracking in severe cases

Who Gets

*

Most frequently begins between 20 and 40 years of age, but can develop earlier or later. Rare in children, but can develop in children who have atopic dermatitis.

*

Occurs in all races

Causes

*

Unknown
    *

Researchers now believe that a person’s reaction to events occurring within the body (e.g., having another medical condition) and factors occurring outside the body (e.g., the weather) play a role.
    *

Research shows that excessive sweating — originally believed to be the cause — does not cause dyshidrotic dermatitis.

Risk Factors
Researchers have identified several factors that can increase one’s risk of developing dyshidrotic dermatitis and the risk of flare-ups:

*

Stress. Probably the most common risk factor, many patients report a stressful period before an outbreak.

*

Gender. Females tend to develop dyshidrotic dermatitis more frequently than males.

*

Weather. Flare-ups are most frequent in hot humid weather. In fact, the weather is a common trigger for many patients. A study of 104 patients found that the following weather conditions triggered flare-ups: heat (29.8% of patients), humidity (24% of patients), and cold (12.5% of patients).

*

Pre-existing atopic condition (e.g., atopic eczema, hay fever, or asthma). Having one or more of these conditions significantly increases the risk.

*

Pre-existing contact dermatitis. Having contact dermatitis significantly increase the risk of developing dyshidrotic dermatitis.

*

Pre-existing infection. Having an infection in another part of the body may increase the risk. A study found that one-third of the patients saw the dyshidrotic dermatitis on their hands clear after they received treatment for their athlete’s foot.

*

Metal implant, such as a hip replacement. Studies show a direct correlation between a metal allergy and developing dyshidrotic dermatitis.

*

Aspirin, oral contraceptives, and smoking. One study suggests that smoking as well as taking aspirin or an oral contraceptive increases the risk.

Duration
While some patients experience only one outbreak that clears in 2 or 3 weeks without treatment, others have recurring flare-ups that can range in frequency from once a month to once a year.

How Diagnosed

*

Diagnosis begins with a complete medical history and visual examination of the skin.

*

A dermatologist may swab the affected skin if it looks infected.

*

A type of testing called “patch testing” may be scheduled to find out if the patient has allergies.

*

Blood tests may be ordered to find out if other medical conditions exist.

Treatment
This condition can be a challenge to treat, and some patients say dyshidrotic dermatitis seems unresponsive to treatment. To overcome these obstacles, dermatologists often call upon an array of treatment options to control the condition:

Medications

*

Topical corticosteroid and cold compresses are typically used first.

*

Dermatologists may drain large blisters to relieve pain.

*

Prescription antibiotics are used to treat an infection.

*

Topical medication, such as pramoxine, can help relieve pain and itch.

*

For severe cases that seem resistant to treatment, dermatologists may prescribe an oral corticosteroid or another immunosuppressive medication (e.g., methotrexate, cyclosporine, or mycophenolate mofetil) along with bedrest.

*

PUVA therapy (a type of light treatment) helps some patients with chronic dyshidrotic dermatitis.

*

Topical calcineurin inhibitors (e.g., pimecrolimus and tacrolimus), which are used to treat atopic dermatitis, can effectively reduce inflammation.

*

Injections of botulinum toxin type A, a popular wrinkle treatment, have effectively cleared some patients. While the reason remains unclear, it is believed that the botulinum toxin type A may relax the muscles or inhibit nerve impulses.

Lifestyle Changes

*

Reduce stress. Some patients find that practicing stress-reduction techniques along with using medication as directed helps to clear their skin. For information about stress-reduction techniques that can help patients with eczema, visit Stress Reduction Techniques.

*

Avoid allergens and irritants. A medical test called “patch testing” can identify common substances to which the person is allergic. Patch testing cannot identify irritants; however, a dermatologist can ask a number of questions to help identify anything that is irritating the skin. Avoiding known allergens and irritants can help reduce flare-ups.

*

Follow a dermatologist-recommended skin care plan. Dermatologists often recommend that patients follow a recommended skin care plan. This can help prevent flare-ups.

*

Avoid excessive sweating and dry conditions. Both are believed to be triggers.

*

Protect the skin from further injury. Using gloves to protect the hands from irritants and allergens, wearing socks made of 100% cotton, and avoiding strong soaps can help protect damaged skin. For more informati
Hi all,  have the same thing. I just got it for the first time nearly a week ago. It started with a small cluster of painless, itchless bumps on the outer palm of my hand just below my thumb. Since then they have spread up the back of my thumb and I now have a few on my other hand as well, which are spreading up my thumb and 2 fingers. They were painless to begin with but now if I run my finger over them they feel just like they are full of splinters. (kind of a tiny sharp pin ***** sensation)  And it feels odd to bend the skin in these areas.
Something I have different than most of you is that I'm really not experiencing any stress. In fact since I have had these things have been less stressful for the most part. Also I DID have chickenpox as a child, a really bad case of it as a matter of fact.

I'm considering going to the Dr, but if none of your Dr's had any ideas as to what it was maybe I won't.
have you correlated where these spots appear and cross referenced between common activity?

I have.
the areas that i get these spots is the same area that i use to put pressure on my lip when i'm biting it. yes i know it's a bad habit... that generally increases when i am stressed.
but the common factor is pressure and abrasion. i noticed somebody else mentioned that they were using a machine that causes heavy vibration. that produces pressure. so think about the areas you get these things and consider if those areas are subjected to pressure or abrasion?
I have had this for years (can't remember exactly how many though) and what I have noticed is:
-It often surfaces when I also have a yeast infection and HSV outbreak.
-Those two things often surface when I am about to menstruate or am under stress (aka. not eating well...refined sugars, carbs and not sleeping well).
-It does not seem to be confined to cold weather because it has been very warm here and I have it now.
-Caffeine makes it worse.
-I also feel tight in my hand and my right shoulder.

We all know that stress tends to also create tight neck and back muscles. When we are stressed we dont breath as fully and we tend to use sugar and caffeine more. Knots in the neck can affect all of the nerves and blood vessels down to the fingers. Typing on the computer can also put strain on those area. Increased estrogen can also cause inflammation and often worsens Raynaud's Phenomenon. Stress definitely effects hormone production (more cortisol and less DHEA which causes a chain reaction to thyroid hormone and the rest). Hormones can effect sympathetic nervous system which effects muscle tone and oxygen levels.

So, my guess is that anything that offsets the balance of the body to create an acid (or oxygen deficient) state in the blood (yeast/candida, cold weather that causes you to have tense muscles, stress, acidic diet) can lead to a chain reaction. The poor little extremities are the most vulnerable and the first to go, but there is probably an issue in other internal organs that we just can perceive as easily.

Im trying to do an anti-candida diet and stay away from things that aggravate viral symptoms, but it is very hard. Massage is helpful for reducing stress and improving circulation, though it doesnt feel good directly on the fingers with sores.

I hope any of that helps and I am grateful to know I am not alone in this search for health!
Katie
Hello All,
I am also a sufferer.  I am 32 years old and have had it so long I can't remember when I first started getting them.  Probably between the age of 8-11.  For me I go weeks or sometimes months without them.  Mine are little and red bumps limited to my thumb and index fingers on both hands.  for the most part they tend to be on the inside and top of the fingers.  Mine don't hurt to the touch at al and aside from a few times getting overly swollen they're more a cosmetic bother than anything else. I know 100% mine are not contact related, because they always come when my immune system is down.  In fact for 20 years, I have known I will be sick by the fact that the bumps are coming and then within a day or two the fever, etc comes.  The reason I've come to reserach is that within the last year they stopped coming when the immune system was run-down and have started coming more frequently.  I'd say have them quite often (a few days a week lately).  Not sure what the shift was.  So my theory is it is potentially autoimmune related.  I also get canker sores in my mouth which is autoimmune related.  And in looking up chronic hives (which this often feels like) I read that chronic hives can be autoimmune related.  So many people here mention stress (which is also often when your immune system feels to be at its lowest point).  

As for all the other questions, I had pox as a kid.  I have had bouts of dry skin/eczema and keratosis pilaris, so I am not totally canceling out a dermatology related something.  And also sort of weird, when I was a kid these same bumps used to also be on my feet too.  The hand and feet would always come together, but that went away in childhood.  Only my hand bumps stayed.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for sharing.
One more thing...reading Mattoy's description and further ones since then on the net...if I am going to give validation to a dermatological condition than I have to say Dyshidriotic Dermatitis sounds pretty possible.  Thanks Mattoy!
I just got back from the Dr. My outbreak of these strange bumps has almost gone and has left me with dry cracking skin where the bumps were the worst. My Dr looked at it and from my description said that it was a type of excema. I have a prescription for a steroid cream called Triamcinolon. So I will start using it today and see how it works.

I also took my little boy with me to the Dr today. He is 18 months old and developed a bad rash on his back, under his arms around the same time that I got the bumps on my hands. I'm not sure if it's related, it doesn't look like what I have on my hands, but the Dr is having him use the same cream on his rash. I thought it was interesting, not sure if it has anything to do with my rash though. He will go back to the Dr next week to check it out again.
I am a male in my early 40's and have the same red bumps that do not itch but do hurt (feels like a splinter) when pressure is applied or something is brushed against them.  I don't consciously recall ever having these things before but I can't rule it out since I know I have had the sensations before but too engrossed into whatever it I was involved with at the time.  I am very conscious of my hands lately since I play guitar and I am now in a band and we're expecting to play gigs in the next month.  

The following is a brief history since the beginning of this year leading to the onset of the red bumps.  As of the beginning of this year my hands have been very dry – more so than I ever recall for a long period of time.  Touching clothing can be quite uncomfortable.  I wash my hands very frequently and even more so when the H1N1 stuff was a big deal.  My hands have become quite dry with the skin cracking on the palm side of my hands along the fingers as well as on the outside of my hands at my knuckles.  My wife washes her hands just as much and her hands are actually more cracked than mine but she has no symptoms.  
Work has been very stressful since I work in the auto industry.  Family life has been stressful.  And now with the band going to gig out, additional stress has been added to my life - although the latter used to be for fun, it does require much more dedication and work.  
About two months ago I started really eating a lot of sweets / candies.  More so than I ever recall in my life.  I have always had a sweet tooth but it would be more in waves.  This time it has been constant for a long duration.  At the same time I have also stopped eating a lot of white breads and am eating more whole grain.  As I write this I am realizing that my cereal intake over the last few months has gone through the roof.  I was mostly was eating raisin bran.  Anyhow all the stress was getting to me and the eating wasn’t filling my void and I thought I needed a different outlet so I started going back to the gym and running a few miles on the elliptical every other day.  I began running about 2 months ago.  Shortly after (about 2 weeks), I noticed a bump on the inside of my left hand index finger while at work.  It first looked like a pimple and hurt.  I attempted to pop it and might have gotten a little clear fluid.  At the same time on the same hand, although on the top below my pinky knuckle, the same type pimple existed.  I had band practice a few days later and the index finger bump was affecting my playing.  I immediately made a Dr appointment thinking that the bump was a wart.  The Dr thought it was a wart and began treating it for about 3 weeks with nitrogen.  The Dr mentioned that I may have gotten the wart from the gym which made sense to me since I had just started going back to the gym all of a sudden a wart appears.  I stopped going to the gym as a result.  I did not want to take any chances of getting anymore that would affect my playing.    During the treatments other bumps / pimples popped up so we began treating them as well. Needless to say my hands were all blistered from the nitrogen treatments.  Anyhow about 3 weeks ago I woke up and noticed that within the first joint of my middle finger of my left hand on the palm I had a pain when pressure was applied.  I looked closely and saw no bump but there appeared to be a slight discoloration deep below the callus.  This thing hurt more than all the others.  I went to see another Dr (my regular Dr wasn't available) and he said that it was definitely not a wart.  Don't recall what he said but he did not know what it was.  He did look at all the other sites that I had treated with nitrogen and said they were wart free.  I am now wondering if those first bumps were even warts.  Who knows?  So as of two weeks ago I was wart free and had no red bumps but still had that pain in my middle finger of my left hand.  The Dr did prescribe a foam that you rub in your hands that supposedly softens your hands.  I used it a few times over the course of the last couple of weeks.  
Just last week I woke on Monday morning for work and noticed a red bump on my left hand on the inside of my middle finger and on the inside pinky of my right hand.  I immediately went to see the doctor again thinking they were the onsets of warts.  He looked at them and said they were not warts.  Gave me more softening foam and sent me home.
From reading everyone’s comments and looking at what I have been doing differently in my life as of this year, it appears to me that one or more of the following may be contributing to the red painful bumps (in no particular order):

Dry hands
Stress
Lack of sleep / very poor sleep – always feel run down
Depressed
Excessive sugar intake
Excessive carbs
I'm so glad I found other people with this problem.  I  like the rest of you the doc can't seem to fine out what they are.  I to have the red spots on my right index and middle finger but I also it them on my left had on the same fingers and I' right handed, i have also on one breck out get them around my thumb and top of hand, like the rest of you they come and go with month inbetween. to the one that mention hand/foot/ and mouth I had this as a kid so not sure its that, but I also fine that yes if i put pressure on them they hurt but mine also hurt when i put my hands into warm water, which makes taking a shower painful.  I to have had chickenpox, and measles, as well as warts on the hands, not sure if there is a conaction.  the ohter thing is I didn't have these growing up only got the when I went to the US and now I live in UK and i'm from NZ not sure if traveling has anything to do with it.   please if anyone help us it would be great

PS: I fine that if I put band aid on them it helps with some of the pain when tring to do thing with my hands like driving/opening bottles/writing etc.
I am also currently going through the same problem as many of you. The outbreaks are usually only on my finger and knuckle joints, my toes and occasionally my elbows..I think its strange how its only on the joints. My spots also seem to appear almost always during or right after my period. One doc diagnosed me with erythema multiforme..you can check that out if onterested.
I have the bumps. I was diagnosed with "granuloma annulare". The Dr. was "positive" about this & gave me a gel to put on them.

I looked it up & it's not granuloma annulare. The problem with most of the above suggestions are that they do NOT itch & they are ONLY on my fingers. I wouldn't say they are "bumps" as so much as welts. The biggest they get is about the circumference of a pencil eraser. They start off smaller, then spread out rapidly.

They hurt. A lot. I can't open juice bottles. Sometimes it takes months, other times only weeks or even days to return. Sometimes it's just one or two, other times it's mass clusters. I'm a student again, so I won't lie- I don't always sleep well & I don't always have the greatest diet (but I try =/ ) I do also get stressed out very easily- & have noticed that they DO tend to appear more when I am stressed out.

I know from past tests & diagnoses that I am more prone to skin problems than the average bear. Apparently I produce too much histamine. I can take tons of antihistamines- far more than a typical person needs- & still have random urticaria, angiodema, or even petchiae.

The dermatologist was right about one thing, however:
Desoximetasone. It's a prescription, runny gel that you use just a tiny bit of for a prescribed amount of times each day. The welts clear up much quicker than if left to their own devices or using other ointments. If I start using it the moment I notice a welt, often it works as fast as in 48 hours. Other times it takes 3-5 days. But it helps!
OMG
i have a similar thing
red lumps on the tops of my fingers, one large the other small, large one starting to nip a little. slightly peeling skin in the middle of both. small scab-like things on the soles of my fingers,  2 of 5 are hard.more of the stupid things appearing, distorting my fingerprints.
i have poor circulation, which makes my hands cold, might have something to do with it. Not blister-like, if i dont move my hand, the lage one goes white-ish in the middle, i dont know id theyre cold or what, because i can't feel temperature.
if anyone knows, i would like to too
Fix for this : kenalog  - I will get to this later

I have had this issue since I was about 13 years old.  I have changed everything to sleeping in cold air to changing out my detergent.  I have had a biopsy on my skin as well and they still dont know what it is.

I used to think this would flare up due to stress but it flared up once while on vacation while on a beach island.  I mean not much stress there =)

I also thought it was because I had a small spec of  pencil graphite in my right hand from running with a pencil as a kid.

What I have found is that kenalog is the best cure.  I know it has tons of side effects that people claim but I have not had any.  I have used this for over a year and it works great.  Once I get a flare up I go and get the shot from my dr.  I wish I could give it myself. It takes about 1 to 2 days and its gone.  The dr injects kenalog into the red spot from different angles, puts a good amount of the liquid inside my hand and puts a band-aid on.  Bonus is that it seems to also help with my summer time allergies as well =)

Something new I have been using

Quick itch fixes- Recently found while traveling to Thailand (stops the itch instantly)
---------------------------------------
SIANG PURE BALM WHITE
SIANG PURE OIL

I use both products all day long  - I am happy to announce that it has even made the flare up stop on my left hand.  Right hand is still off and on but is  working well.  I have used this since April 2010

I use this all day it has cured.  I would use this the first time you feel or see a red dot.

I hope this helps you all good luck and please post your results if you use this.
I am so relieved to have found this forum! I developed these lumps about ten days ago & have noticed tonight that they have spread from my index finger to my middle finger - on both hands. They are very painful &, as it's incredibly hot in the UK at the moment, the burning pain is beginning to get me down.
I'm seeing my GP next week for a check up on my FM but will definitely mention this as I'm worried it's infectious. It is definitely not molloscum & isn't blisters - I've tried lancing them & nothing comes out (except blood if I lance too deep!) My temptation is to bite them off but I will resist!
Ive also been experiencing this on and off since january...im wondering does this have anything to do with HPV, please if anyone could let me know if their doctor has ruled this out it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank goodness I found this forum! I JUST started aquiring these bumps yesterday. It started with 1 and 24 hours later i have 24 including 1 on the side of my foot. I have stress in my life like most people but no more that usual. I also have a poor diet, but have for years and haven't eaten anything new. I have no health insurance but my step father is a Dr. and is going to write me a prescription for triamcinolone. He looked at my hands and said it's a form of excema until I had him read some of these posts. Please, if anyone has ANYmore new information or has tried a medication that works, PLEASE post it. I will also post my results.
It's me again, and since my last post (about an hour ago) I have accumulated several more on the sides and on the front underside of my soles, on all toes and inbetween them. It's become uncomfortable to walk because it feels like tiny slivers poking everytime I bend. I put on some lidocaine cream to numb it. Seems to work ok for now. I hope someone can help me soon :(
Hello, . . . I found this forum researching what seems to be the same hard bumps that come and go on the palms of my hands and fingers for 3 months now.  They are always there, but kind of fade away when not "inflamed." When I use my hands on garden tools or grasping things, etc. they become more raised and feel like I'm grasping a pin cushion.  It's the middle of Summer here so I'm ruling out cold temperatures, and they seem worse when I'm active, but I don't have to be active for them to get bothersome. . . I have a two-year-old so I'm always active, haha  They just come and go on their own terms it seems--there's really no consistency or sanity to it.

Even when these sometimes red, sometimes just same color of my skin spots are not raised and inflamed, I can still bend my hands back and see them pressured under the skin.  My husband has now started to get them too, which makes us think they MIGHT be communicable.  

I'm surprised all of yoru dermatologist doctors are so stumped with this.  They are not itchy or blistery.  They are just there and irritating and can drive one nuts if you dwell on it or really need to use your hands a lot like MOST OF US, haha

At first I thought well maybe we got something from our baby's dirty diapers or from a gas pump handle, and then I started thinking about the new, cheap dish soap we are using or the hand soap that is different in my bath room. . . .but I don't know. . . something just doesn't add up.  I was at the beach for a week, still having these things inflamed and didn't have any of those things, and I wash my hands constantly everywhere so why would any "germ" still be on my hands.  This thing is ONLY on my hands so why wouldn't it get anywhere else on my skin if it were contagious like my face that I wash with my hands for example?  So these thoughts make me think it's not contangious to other parts of the body or to others.  Also my two-year-old son doesn't have them and we hold hands all the time. Thankgoodness!

The most reasonable post I saw here was one about a homepathic or naturepathic doctor telling someone that is was yeast related.  NOW THAT MAKES SENSE!!!  We do not have a disease.  We are all eating too much refined sugar and refined flour.  Now that makes sense more than anything else I've read on here.  If your colon or intestines are sick, backed up, and needing more good bacteria, it makes since that our skin would be having some kind of bad bacteria infection.  The first place a sick body on the inside shows up on the outside is on our hands and face, so I'm going to try cutting out sugar and white flour and see if that works! The other person says that it worked for her both times she tried it. . . ;-)
Has anyone thought about or been tested for Gout? Sounds a lot like gout symptoms to me.
Thanks for that - I just checked gout symptoms & that's definitely not what I have. It's more of a skin disorder than a joint disorder, & the lumps are red & painful, rather than white & painless as gout crystals seem to be.

Mine have gone down at the moment but the redness is still there & I have a feeling they'll be back!
I too have experienced these mysterious bumps for about the past 15+ yrs. They have gradually gotten worse over the years. They started on my fingers, in the joints, on both hands. They started in low numbers, about 2-3 per hand but slowly grew in numbers. Then, I started getting bumps on my elbows consecutively with the bumps on my hands. About 5 yrs ago, I started getting them on the tops of my knees as well. And about 3 yrs ago they showed up on the tops of my big toes. I have several similarities w/ others that have commented. I work at a garden center with plants, potting soils, my hands stay wet all the time, etc. Also, I grew up with my parents using tea tree oil products. And with my most recent breakout, and the worst that I have experienced, I had gotten sick, used tea tree oil sunscreen, was at the lake in the heat & sun, about to start my monthly cycle, and was at a family reunion, which was a bit stressful, I guess. I not only got more of these bumps on my fingers than I have ever experienced (30-40 per hand) & on the tops of my hands, I got them on my knee caps (5-10 per knee), I got them on my elbows (15-20 per elbow), and a few on the tops of my feet and big toes. I have never in the 15+ yrs experienced it like this. I went to my GP and he has no idea what it is. Has anyone experienced it in this magnitude before? I looked at the pictures amorris 72200 posted and that's exactly what I get. It flairs up about every 6mnths or so. Oh, I also get them on/near my cuticles. For me they seem to be getting worse over the long years. Anyone else?
Hi GardenGirl,
I wonder if you've googled molloscum Contagiosum - you can find photos of it online. I only mention it because of the places your spots appear. Molloscum spots do stay though - they don't come & go, they usually last about 2 years. They can grow into stalk-like lumps, with a tiny white head. I just thought I'd mention it - I hope you get some relief soon.

My lumps have disapeared for now, though the area where they were is still very red, & I suspect they'll come back. At the moment, I'm really unwell & very run down - which suggest to me that, for me at least, the condition has nothing to do with poor health.

Best wishes.
Ok this is CRAZY so many people affected by the same thing!!!  I also have these little bumps.  Here is my description: 30-40 clustered bumps the size of the tip of a ball point pen or smaller, they are skin colored except for in the very center a very very tiny red dot. Although some do not have a red dot (yet). They are on my left index finger on the bottom and on the inside edge by middle finger.  Only this finger has them. And these have not spread to any other area. If you pull finger back and stretch the skin they clearly are noticeable as bumps. I think I have had these a few other times however this time I remember something I did before they appeared.  I was working in a factory that makes cotton boom socks for the gulf of Mexico and there is cotton fiber/dust/particulate in the air and on things. Well I swiped my hand that hand in particular across the top of cabinet to wipe dust off.  I thought I felt something enter or at least aggravate the area when I did this.  I looked at finger to make sure I did not have a splinter etc.  Nothing was there then a few days later these appeared.   Allergic reaction to the cotton ????  My hands are in gloves for about 8 hours a day as I am in the construction industry.  I am male and am 30 years old.  There is no pain except when you push on the area.  I am also running this particular job and there is a certain amount of stress.  But if it is stress induced why is it such a localized area?  As well as in such a small amount.  I thought maybe they were warts but I have had those on my feet before and they do not look like that.  We need a place to post pictures.
Wow! I'm so glad to know I'm not alone but also a little concerned that so many people have this problem and no one, including the doctors, seem to have any idea what causes it.
I'm a 34 year old, caucasian female. Just to run down some of the things that have been mentioned as possible causes; I have no known allergies or medical conditions. I had chicken pox as a kid, I have never had warts on my hands or elsewhere and do not have HPV. I do get cold sores on my lips from time to time if I get sunburned or manage to hit my lip with something. I am about 20lbs over weight but otherwise healthy and active. I work mostly at a computer and my hands are not typically involved in anything that would cause abrasion. I wash my hands maybe 10 times a day and try to use lotion after washing to prevent excessive dryness. I'm not sure if I eat alot of wheat products; I have maybe one or two servings of grain based product per day.  
I started getting these bumps on my hands about 2 months ago. I noticed the first one because I thought I had a splinter in the palm of my hand along one of the crease lines but when I looked I couldn't see anything. A few days later it was gone but I noticed another one on my finger. Since then I have gotten them pretty consistently. I'll go a few days with none and then have 3 - 4 pop up in various locations on my fingers or on my palms. They do not itch, they do not blister, they do not ooze or crust. It's simply a slightly raised, very small bump that hurts only when touched. They last a few days and then go away. Both of my hands are equally affected. I've tried to get in to the doctor a couple of times but by the time I get an appointment the bumps are inevitably gone so there's nothing to look at. Oh and it's 105 degrees here right now so I doubt the bumps are related to the cold.      
To say I'm stressed would be a slight understatement. I am getting ready to quit my job to take an unpaid 3 month internship and am nervous about finding a job when it's over; my husband's job requires him to travel for weeks at a time so I often play the role of single mom and we have no family nearby to give me a breather.
So that's it in a nutshell.
Does ANYONE have any idea what the heck is going on with these things?  
I see for the last couple years this has been an active site. I also have these bumps and have had them for several years (20) however it is my opinon that si wouldhave to agre with the naturopath here on this one withthe yeast overgrowth in ones system.. which is feb by refined sugars and processed food. I have also a condition called candida and didn't think it was related to the bumps on my hands, elbos and toes. I now believe I was wrong it probably is... People... lay off the refined sugar or any sugar for that matter, processed fooods,  bascially any crap food your eating an try going towrds a more alkaline diet.... within reason of course... I at this moment have a wicked flare up of these bumps and itsvery annyoing and painful to the touch... however over the last week I have eaten so poorly and have not taken any of my probiotics (Udo's Super 8) and ohter Herbs it feel that this is a causing such and unbearable flare up. Its hot here this weka nd my hands aren't dry however think of the thing syou eat  within the week prior to having a flare up...
i got a strange hard bump on my index finger, with in 2 weeks i got a bunch more on my palms and my other fingers to. they keep coming and getting bigger. their like bumps but then flat on top as if someone cut half of it off. they are very noticiable and hurt when pressure is on them.
can someone please tell me what they are and if there is a cure.
( i just moved away from my mom that ive lived with my whole life to live with my dad across the country,im 14..is it stress or maybe the heat?)
I was astonished to see so many people with the same problem as me!! And I may have figured out what it is!! I was told my fingers are responding to cold and it is triggered by stress. Also, I have been washing dishes/hands a lot and I suspect it could have been a contributing factor as well! I only wash dishes in gloves now and i have switched to a natural bar soap. According to this link, http://www.natural-health-information-centre.com/sodium-lauryl-sulfate.html it would be almost weird not to get reaction after washing up all the time! My fingers are clearing up now. Hope this information helps someone!
Just checking in to say I have the same thing.  They look a lot like the photos on amorris72200's profile.  They generally appear on the tops and sides of my fingers, recently on the palm side of my fingers as well, on the knuckles, and around the base of the fingers.  I get them on both hands.  They appear within a day or two then take a couple of weeks to fade away.  They are red and hard, and feel sore when pressed, much like a callous.  

I also think I'm getting them on my elbows.  Much less than on my hands, and it's hard to tell because I generally have dry skin on my elbows anyway.

Has anyone else noticed them on their elbows?
I also get this condition. I believe it to be a form of dishydrosis or pomphylox. Mostly appearing on the sides of my fingers at the knuckles. Only rarely actually blistering. They can sometimes be intensely itchy, and other times just create an annoying texture on my skin. Sometimes i get a small patch on my right palm that always eventually turns into a very deep blister the size of a dime. it lasts about a weak and then clears up leaving a tough scaly patch of skin behind.

Occasionally I do get it on my elbows, usually only if I have been leaning on them excessively at a table or desk.

I am not sure what triggers it, stress does not seem to be a factor, nor does weather or temperature or humidity. Although, my hands definitely react to excessive handling of metal such as coins or carrying my keys around in my hands. However, this does not account for all of the occurrences, by far.

Hydro-cortisone helps with the elbows, however it does not seem to help with my hands.
I've read this entire thread trying to figure out what's going on with my hands...and it seems I'm close to certain things, but don't have all the symptoms, etc.

I just got these on Monday night after I woke up...was worried at first it was Bedbugs, but when I had not seen any thing on any other part of my body, nor my wifes, I chalked it up to allergic reaction....to what I don't know.

The only thing that's changed for me, is getting a new guitar, but I had cleaned and re-strung it before playing it so I don't know if that would be the cause....at any rate, they itch like crazy, and do kind of hurt when touched, but only very slightly....anyway, here is a picture of my hand and the bumps on one of my fingers:

http://www.box.net/shared/x1txkqd42t

Hope this helps.
Wow...this is so much more common then I thought! My bumps seem to be much less severe then others. They are more an annoyance then a disability. They pop up red, irritated and itch like crazy for a short period of time. They only appear on the side of my right index finger (between the tip and second knuckle), the side of my right middle finger (same area), the side of my left index finger (same area) and the top of my left ring finger (on the top, right beneath the point of my ring). They NEVER vary from these areas.  I mostly notice them at night while relaxing on the couch, they just start to ITCH like fire! During the rest of the day they calm down, no itching or redness. They tend to last for about 1-2 weeks and then dissappear for weeks or months.

I haven't noticed a correlation with anything, except maybe stress or dry skin. I did have chicken pox and measles as a child and have a heriditary foot fungus issue that is under control without medication. I am prone to canker sores in my mouth, but not on my lips. I am not currently sick or on any medications other then Ortho-Cylcen. My diet has not changed nor do I do any activities that might expose my hands to irritants. My skin does seem to get very dry when I have to wash my hands or use hand sanitizer excessively at work.  They first started appearing in college, which coincidentally was the first time I really experienced stress in my life! I am definitely stressed right now, but the main source of my stress (my husband's surgery) was almost a month ago and the bumps did not appear until now. I tend to think that they are more related to my dry hands then stress,,,but that's just an untrained opinion...
I have had these exact bumps for 10-12 years now. They occur always near a joint. Finger joint, elbow, even knees in rarer cases on me. I had a great dermatologist who learned of a fail safe cure for it.

It is a little strange at first but it works. Trust me after getting them on my knees, elbows and thumb joints I tried it.

Take a small gauge needle (insulin works well) sterilize with rubbing alcohol the area and stick the needle deliberately into each red raised area. If the raised area is large then do several sticks. Draw blood in each case. Then just dab away the blood with peroxide or alcohol and let the area heal. After you do this process on your elbows and knees or thumbs -- they no longer attack. My elbows have been free of these bumps for 5 years now. I get a few on one finger now so I need to get back into sticking them again on that finger.

Let me know if you try this. I swear on my mother's grave that it works!
Mine is slightly different.

I have just 1 on the side of my finger near the nail on my left hand.

I have a round red blister with a cluster of smaller darker red dots inside
i tried Zovirax on it in case it was herpes witlow,that didn't work.
then my doctor gave me something with silver nitrate to roll on it,
that didn't work, it just crusted it and it came up behind it again

i have no idea what it is im lost now
I've read this whole string of comments, it's taken me over an hour.  I keep seeing 'itching' and 'blister' in some of the others comments and I, like the initial poster,  have NEVER had itching or blistering.  My husband has SEVERE eczema and I know, this is not eczema.  Mine are only very small raised bumps, unnoticable to anyone other than me. They do not contain fluid, unless like another poster said, you dig down quite a way under the skin and you might get just a tiny bit of totally clear fluid. But only a very small drop.  Mainly, I notice 'new' bumps first thing in the morning, but have sometimes had a new one pop up randomly throughout the day. Like many others have said, they do not hurt or even become noticable unless you run your finger across them, push them,  or squeeze them. Then they suddenly feel as though there is a "splinter" or sliver inside.  Mine are also very tiny, never getting bigger than the head of a ball point pen.  

With all of this said, and after all the reading, and trying to match up what some have said with what I have, I think we're onto something with the yeast.  I too think the Naturopath might be onto something.  I had never linked this to stress or refined sugars, but I started getting these bumps again about two weeks ago.  Guess what we have had in the house for the past two weeks, a ridiculous amount of Halloween candy.  I've always had a sweet tooth, but I rarely eat as much 'sugar' and 'high fructose corn syrup' as I have the last 2 weeks.  I've definitely been under some stress, and have also felt very run down.  I think this has set up the perfect storm.  I'm going to try hitting the vitamins, eating a large amount of raw veggies, and drinking a VAT of water....my body is obviously trying to tell me something and considering the bumps haven't killed me yet, they may be trying to tell me that something 'inside' doesn't feel good.  Maybe my cells ARE irritated.  For those of you with the 'splinter' feeling, I think that's the key.  I think that's what separates this from the other skin disorders people are mentioning here.  My husband who has severe eczema said his never feels like slivers, it feels hot, cracked, itchy...etc, etc.  It's not the same.  So for those with the 'splinter' feeling, ask yourself about your sugar intake, or your overall nutrition.  Because I can definitely see a direct corrolation.  Even if it's not sugar, it may be something the body is simply lacking maybe a vitamin or mineral?  Good luck everyone, and if anyone gets an exact diagnosis.... do share!
Hi, I've posted previously, though I haven't had a 'bump attack' in a while.
Somebody mentioned it could be dishydrosis or pomphylox but, having looked that up, this is definitely not the same problem I have. I do get pomphylox if I have an exzema (eczema) attack & it's very different - the bumps aren't alway raised, they're more like blisters, & they contain fluid.
My bumps are exactly as Aking500 explains - tiny red bumps which only hurt when pressed or stroked firmly. They hurt a lot though when this does happen &, as I need a walking stick to move about, this causes a problem!
Like Aking500, mine feel like they have a splinter or something inside. I've never tried piercing them with a pin because they feel hard & there's no feeling of fluid in there - yet they're not like hard skin at all - more, as I say, like a splinter's inside.
Re the sugar/wheat connection, I don't think this is the solution in my case, nor is it due to being rundown. I generally eat extremely healthily - no meat, alcohol, caffeine, or white carbs, lots of fruit & veg, gallons of water. For the last few weeks, I've been in a very bad episode with my medical condition & have been very run down & on loads of pain meds - as a result I have given up on healthy eating & have eaten far too much bad food! Sweets, chocolate, booze, white carbs, bread - I've even started smoking again. Yet I've not had a bump attack for 2 or 3 months!
Hello Ive had these bumps every now and again but they seem to go away like a day or 2 after ive had them but they dont seem to be going away now. i do use some moisturising cream because im a bakery student at college and i have to wash my hands alot i think its that to be honest washing my hands alot. but i normally stick a bit on cream on and it works good hope it helps. (also if so many people have this same issue tell us what you all do if we have the same issue) e.g Job etc thanks rob
wow - i am female 32 years old and  i cant believe this is so common. it is a mystery to me. i got my first tiny red spot on my right middle finger on the inside part. it kinda felt like a splinter, then i worried it was a form a herpes because i do get the cold sores which are cause by the herpes virus. but they do not seem to be contagious. they appear - like most of the people here - usually in the morning then fade during the day. this is happening for about 2 weeks now. they never itch or burn or tingle. they do feel like a splinter though if you touch it or try to open a bottle or hold a pen and such.i have also seen one on my pointer finger and also my thumb - all on my right hand. then i even though that it was from my dogs leash. but i have been using that same leash for 9 years now! i cant imagine what this is. really, it is not so bad or painful. i can tolerate it, but i am concerned about it being contagious, which i am thinking it is not. i have a dermatologist appt in manhattan the first week of december so i will be sure to mention this to her. maybe i will have it to show her, maybe i will not. please keep posting about this widespread mystery...
I have had the exact symptoms on and off for about 14 yrs.  Just to give you background, I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and have always struggled with Candida - systemic, intestinal yeast overgrowth. Years ago, my gastroenterologist (Dr. Mathias - Texas Women's in Houston) told me these bumps were a sign of gastro distress - too much yeast, sugar, high glycemic carbs.  Mine still crop up when I am not eating as I should.  He even said which fingers they are on can tell him which part of my gastro tract was in distress - as in the last two fingers were the colon.  don't remember what the other fingers represented though.  Seeing a dermatologist might help them feel better but not help the root cause.  Change your diet!  Hope this helps...
Thanks everyone for sharing your info & experiences. For those of you who struggle with these bumps in cold weather only (like me), I find that it helps a great deal to try to keep your hands as warm as possible at all times. - Even if that means wearing warm gloves indoors and/or while sleeping. Don't go out into the bitter cold for any length of time without protecting your hands!

I've also found that cutting down on sugar & dairy (they produce inflammation) is also helpful as is sitting in a sauna or hot tub as much as possible.

Best wishes to everyone...
I have exactly the same as most people here are describing: small, pinkish, almost flat bumps that are sore when pressed and mostly occur in their 20s on the sides of my fingers and near the knuckle area on both hands. They look extremely similar to amorris72200's pictures (so much that I could mistake the photos for my own hands).

My mother is a dermatologist and said that it is definitely a mild form of dyshidrosis (or pompholyx) which is a form of eczema and can be triggered by stress. Just my two cents, but I respect her diagnosis and my condition fits the list of symptoms of dyshidrosis (as do most people's descriptions on here).
I also have these bumps and they are not like Dyshidriotic Dermatitis as they do not itch and are not blisters.  They are bumps, red and have no fluid in them but feel like a painful splinter under the skin.  They also do not develop in to a rash or show any other signs of excema etc.  They come, annoy and then go and have been doing this for many years.  When I read about any type of dermatitis, I can not see a match.  These are something else.  They also do not develop into blisters like herpes.  What can they be?  I would really like someone to give us an answer.
I had this same condition of little red bumps all over my fingertips and toes. Fortunately my Dermatologist new what it was and the disease is called dyshidrotic eczema. He gave me a shot for it today and also prescribed to me a corticosteroid cream for application twice a day.
I already feel the difference! Hope that helps and thanks to all who posted as it really helped!
I joined just to comment on this issue. I haven't really made any kind of stress connection. I've wondered if my 'dots'  -- which MIGHT come, oh, twice a year maybe, were HSV. Or could they be bed bug bites? Mine: only 2-3 MAX at a time, perhaps at a knuckle, or on the side of a finger, or maybe even on the underside of the tip. They NEVER cluster, only one dot each place. They don't hurt UNLESS you touch it or rub it. They're basically so painless I don't even know I have one until I happen to touch it while doing something. Like others have said IF you touch it, it's sore like there might be a splinter inside. It doesn't itch. The one dot it each place never spreads or clusters, and I've never scratched or aggravated them, just because I get the feeling bothering them would do just that. There's no fluid inside, it never pusses up. It's just a small very slightly raised red dot (darker red dot center, that fades out pink to regular skin tone), that's sore if you touch it, that will go away one its own after a week or so.  So, so far the options could be HSV, bed bug bites, yeast. I don't think the other things mentioned really don't sound like what I'm talking about.
I have similar small reddish bumbs appearing on my finger joints, mainly on my right hand, not the my thumbs and located on the joints where the fingers bend. They don't hurt or itch but when pushed or rubbed there's a slight tingle which isn't very comfortable.

Here is a photo I took, Its quite hard to see anything but if you look closely you can just about see the small bumps. I've had them before but not for very long, thought they where just due to allergies to washing soaps..

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/lizard_arms/Picture8-1.png
Yup. Have them too. 36 male Living in London, UK. Stressed? Probably. Some allergic reaction? Unlikely. Cold weather? yes. Dry skin? Yes, recently. Tiny weeny little bumps (skin coloured, almost like little wards, painful to the touch, under the skin. Like a splinter) Not unsightly as you can not see them, unless you really look closely. But uncomfortable non the less.
Cluster in groups around the fingers and palm of hands.
Cure? I am going to try some anti-hestimine tablets and a anti-fungus type ointment/ hand cream. Like anti-thrust cream or similar. (Don't laugh!) :0)

I think this will do the trick.
just came across this forum and since june 2008, people are still reporting this issue and no one has seem to find a cure or cause! My girlfriend has these tiny little red bumps on skin side on her them, a few on other fingers and palm side fingers too and sides! shes had them for ages she says and has never gone away but feels no pain but recently a new one has occured and says it painful when you touch, but they are so tiny in size like a red little spot. she is taking her exams and been stressing quite a lot! and I have felt the wrath of it, but im guessing this could be a cause since others have posted on here before! but please let us know if anyone finds a perfect cure for it! good luck guys
I'm pretty sure its chillblains. I get these atleast once a year mostly during the winter months. so you have nothing to worry about. If they bother you that much wear gloves during the winter months and colder days/nights. Hope that helped.
I am a 29 year old female and have had these bumps off and on for years now. There were a few posts that particularly interested me. Katie110674 hit the nail on the head for me. I would love to know if anyone else has a connection between when the bumps appear and when they are menstruating. My bumps appear when i'm about to start my period. Never any other time of the month and not every month. I can go months without them appearing. They are on both hands and they never itch. They are only painful when touched with pressure or scratched. They really dont bother me enough to be concerned. I just became curious as to what they could be and I stumbled upon this site. To me, the yeast explanation makes the most sense. Thanks Katie110674! I will try your suggestions and see if they help!
I looked at the images you posted. My son had the same kind of red bumps on his fingers, palms, elbows, knees and a few on his toes last fall. They disappeared after 4 to 5 weeks. The bumps came back again last week. I took him to the doctor last fall and he had a punch biopsy. The result came back as acrodermatitis. It is a viral infection associated with other infections mainly  mononucleosis (EBV). It can also be associated with coxsackie and parainfluenza virus, and Hepatitis B (not common in USA). At that time blood result for my son also came back positive for mononucleosis (although he was asymptomatic). So look up on acrodermatitis and see if it matches your condition.
I have one red bump - bright red, raised, near my finger knuckle, came about five weeks ago!!  Im waiting for a dermatologist appointment.
I have Fibromyalgia and arthritis.....and I just recently fell and broke my shoulderblade in half..although the bump appeared before that incident.
Im terrified of skin cancer....and now I feel better reading others have the same thing..Mine is not sore, but is dark red - and crusts over, but not oozing -
Thankyou so much people.. I was really worried about these red bumps on my fingers but after reading all of these comments i have diagnosed my fault and now less worried.. :)
. but let me tell all those people of my type the common things.
1.my hands look just the same as of amorris72200.
2.secondly, i never like to wear any gloves or socks or sweaters etc.. like to remain in cold.. a factor that may have a link.
3.i eat a lot of sweets.. my dad told me to stop eating a lot of sugar when i first time showed my fingers but i did not believe him and went to the doctor. He (as expected) could not diagnose it correctly and gave me some kinda antibiotics feeling that i have some infection in my blood, suggested that i should drink more and more water.. he gave me some Folic Acid tablets and Velosef. anyways,  i am waiting to see some results from these.
4. I do some gardening too. someone there in the comments mentioned this and asked. so yep. i too do this.
5. for those who say right hand is having these bumps  more because it is dominant, yes i too am having more on my right hand but, i am left handed. i use left hand more..
6. i had chiken pox but they have got no damn link to my these red things on my fingers.
conclusion is that i am gonna stop all sugary things.. which i can't but atleast will contain eating alot.
Thank you. Regards.
Maria Nadeem
I have the same type of bumps. I have never had them in my life before and there starting to worry me. They are only on my left hand but I think I have one on one of the bottom of my toe. I have four of them on my hand. Anyone know what to do about them?
I have the same problem on my left hand. I also think I have one on my toe. This is the first time I've ever had it. Anyone figure out what it is yet? They are so painful.
I'm so thrilled to see that I'm not the only one with this "condition".

I'm a 37 year old female and I'm experiencing this for the second time now.  The first time was about a month ago and it lasted about 6 days, and now they showed up again yesterday.  My left hand is more affected than my right and I also have bumps on my left elbow which are really painful.  I noticed that when I have these irruptions, my hands become extremely dry despite using moisturizers.  I have trouble using my hands to open bottles and jars and do a few other simple things.

Additional info that might (or might not) be relevant:
- I had the parvovirus 6 - 8 months ago which left me with joint pain.
- I had pneumonia 3-4 weeks ago and I'm recovering
- I've been under a lot of stress at work
- I live with my husband and kids and they don't have this.
- I'm African American

I feel like this is happening to me at a time where my immune system is weak and I'm under lots of stress, which is a really bad combination.  Hope someone has answers for us.

Thanks!
I don't think the spots being on the right hand primarily have anything to do with that being most people's dominant hand and therefore more susceptible to friction/abrasion. Rather, the right hand is farthest from the heart, and if there's a connection between this "rash" (which I've had for several weeks now) and the cold weather, it would make sense that the right hand would more likely be affected. (If you're in a cool room right now, feel your hands. Which one is colder?)

Those who live in warm climates and still get this may have something different than what those living in cold climates are describing. Even if the symptoms are very much alike, there are all sorts of bumps, blisters, rashes that can develop.

After reading all of these comments, I believe in MY case, cutting out sugars and doing a better job of keeping my hand warm might be the solution.
I have the bumps and I can definately say it's artificial sweeteners! Diet drinks are the worst to cause them...I went to dr and they did a byopsy of the them and never found a cause.  I was going to have my daughter and stopped drinking diet drinks. The bumps went away completely...from then on they only appear when I eat or drink artificial sweeteners!  
Sheri
I'm female 58 and I've noticed these bumps for the last 2-3 years off and on. I also get swelling at the nail bed. For me it is the rt hand. I think I may have had a couple on my toes also -so hard to tell. I suspect they are a prelude to the nodular arthritis of the fingers heberden's nodes. I suspect dehydration might bring them on. They seem worse in winter and after exercise. I am interested in the sugar connection. Sure would be great if we could really know what's up so we could help ourselves. My Mom has nodular arthritis in her hands. My Dad has gout so both those conditions concern me. I wish I had more help to offer. Cortisone over the counter seems to help a bit. But they do go away in any case. I had chicken pox. Super healthy otherwise. They are red, raised over the joints nothing inside them. When they shrink they leave a little dry white spot in the center.
I have this crap aswell
however know one is giving a solid reason or diagnoses for this thing.
Just cycled an hour to work (then gave 120ml blood!) and mine are quite inflamed. This indicates that it may simply be caused by the cold combined with stress/exertion which would cause reduced circulation and perfusion in extremities.

As the palms have a thicker layer of skin and better perfusion, this explains why only the sides and top of the hands are affected.

I think vasodilation would improve clearance of inflammatory mediators and keeping hands warm and moisturised would speed up the process.

So have some coffee and massage your fingers!

Hello! I read your comments and we have the exact same thing. I get these tiny bumps on my fingers, palms of my hands, and sometimes even on my elbows. They start off as one or two, like i have now, and then they spread. There very hard to see besides the redness, but usually I have to make people feel them for them to even notice it. They do not itch at all and it feels like a little pinch or tingle when i push down on them, unless they are on my elbows then it usually hurts to put my elbows down on like a table or something of that nature. I have never been to a doctor for them because they don't bother me nor do I much concern about them, but I would still like to know what they are?

I've gotten them for the last few years. They come and go on there own, I would say i get them every 1-3 months. I did have the chicken pox when I was a little girl, although I do not see how that would effect this because the chicken pox are nothing like these bumps at all.

Anyways if anyone has gotten an answer to what this is I would greatly apperciate it.
I get these too!  I had the chicken pox when I was 5, I seems to get the bumps when I am really stressed.  Does anyone know what they are?  Is there anything we can do to prevent them?
i just started getting these three days ago, i'm 23. it started with one on my pinky finger right below the cuticle then one on my pointer finger. i woke up this morning with two on the underside of my pointer finger near the joints. i think it could have something to do with stress, last month i started a new job and also changed my diet. they don't itch, just are sore when i touch them.
What a relief to discover that I’m not the only one with this problem!

At the moment it’s the third time I’ve got these little red bumps.
Always on the fingers of my right hand (and never on my thumb).
Normally they don’t hurt unless you touch them.
Then it feels as if you put needles in them.
They don’t itch and do not contain fluid.
What most of you say about stress, is also true in my case.
I think it is one of the triggers for the bumps to show up.
Along with a weakened immune system.

The first two times I took antibiotics and after a few days they disappeared (I had max 3 bumps).
Maybe it was a coincidence, I don’t know.
This time I don’t take any antibiotics, because I’m determined to know what causes this problem.
It began with 1 bump, then 3 and now I’ve got 7 of them.
The dermatologist couldn’t tell me what’s the cause.
But in two weeks I go see another one.
Maybe you’ll think it’s not very likely that he will be able to help me any further, especially after reading all of the experiences here.

But actually I think he might.
What I found very intriguing was the answer of Zoe_a (may 2, 2009).
And the posts of Catmag (apr 20, 2010), Katie (may 4, 2010), Lowitsbe (may 23, 2010), TheMadPoet (jul 5, 2010), Betti77 (aug 8, 2010), Aking005 (nov 6, 2010), Kim94 (nov 18; 2010), NicRic (dec 1, 2010), Smghzal (jan 27, 2011) and Bobanne (feb 15, 2011).
Zoe said that it would be due to an overgrowth of yeast/ bad bacteria in the intestines (from eating too much refined wheat and sugar mostly).
I don’t often eat wheat but it’s true that I eat and drink lots of things with a high amount of sugar in it.
And a few years ago I had to take some medication for my intestines because of a bacteria (which was caused by my allergies to certain types of food).
Maybe that is indeed the link?
I will ask it to the dermatologist, as it is the same person who discovered all of my allergies.

I will keep you informed.

With kind regards,
Valerie (30) from Belgium

Hi everyone I am one more person that has similar symptoms that everyone else has. The first time I noticed these bumps were on the side of fingers in little clusters. About two weeks ago after getting over a high fever and sickness I noticed on my right hand index finger knuckle the raised red bumps. They spread to the other knuckles on the same hand and on my finger joints.  Over this weekend it spread to my other hand on my ring finger so I made an appt with my dermatologist.  She had to call other doctor to come in because she was not certain what it was.  She insisted to do a skin biopsy and now I have stitches and waiting for the results to come back from the lab.  I honestly scared what the results might be.  They are somewhat itchy to the touch and they are different sizes. The ones I first got month ago were smaller and where on the inner and outer side of my fingers.

I am 29 yr old Mexican American and work a very stressful job.  I have a very weak immune system.  I will keep you guys posted on what the results might be.
Yeah i got the exact same thing. they only seem to be on my left index finger between my two knuckles (closest to the tip of my finger) and i've gotten them maybe 2-3 times and it came out of nowhere. it has seem to be very cold recently and i've been playing on my PSP wich has a hard casing and sharp-ish corners. but i've gotten it before and i dont think i was playing my PSP at the time, and it was warmer than right now anyways. Anyone got an idea what it is (also its just kinda rough like a dry patch of skin, doesnt contain liquid and is kinda like a small moquito bite without itch or even really pain when i rub them. i dont think i've been in much stress, its actually been easier in life than usual :P but the new PSP game is kinda anxty for the first few minutes. and i know what eczema is because my friend has it bad and its deffinetly not it. any help or a previous post with an answer? theres too many to read haha)
Hi there, the closest thing i can find to these red bumps is scurvy.
You know, the thing pirates get. Ive had chicken pox, and had these things since i was young. Same symptoms.
Because we dont eat enough Vitamin C there are a range of symptons.
Obviously its not an extreme case of scurvy, but whenever i eat 3 or 4 oranges they are gone during that week.
How much fruit do you eat? And green vegetables.
Ive found magnesium tablets are making me desire more veges and fruit somehow, and relieves some muscle pain i get.
Hope it helps,
Sonny
I have the same thing. Only on my right hand and mostly between my ring & middle finger. I have sarcoidosis but can't make a connection so I am trying to figure out what this is by itself. I have sarcoid-arthritis in most joints but the right hand is the only place with the "splintering". I am sorry everyone is suffering but glad to know I am not alone with this symptom
I have had these bumps for about 2 years now, mine look EXACTLY like amorris72200's do.  I have not had any breakouts now for about the past six months, then I woke up Friday moring with 8 of them on my left hand and 6 on my right hand, I am left handed.  They do not cluster, there is nothing in them if I pick at them, they usually disappear within 1-2 weeks after I first notice them.  They are sore to the touch, slightly raised and red, they do not itch.  I have been to 3 doctors over the past 2 years, not specifically for this, but have always asked while I was there and none of them had any idea what it was.  I have been tested for every STD under the sun and I am pretty sure it is not anything like that since I have never given them to anyone and they dont spread anywhere than the insides and sides of my fingers.  I do suffer from migraines, so I know that I suffer from stress, but for the past 2 weeks I have not been stressed, everything at work is great and my father just moved out of my house so I have been super relaxed, I don't eat a lot of suger, and whole wheat is part of my daily diet, so I know that that has not changed.  I started trying to keep track of what I did a few days before I notice them and I think I might have a connection for mine, this might not be the case for anyone else....I have never been a lotion person, I don't like scented lotions in particular, but I keep getting them as presents, etc, etc.  So I brought a green tea scented hand lotion to work and it has been sitting on my desk for about 2 years now.  Before Friday (with the seasons changing)  I was putting this lotion on about 3-4 times a day for about 3 days, then on Friday I break out.  It does not seem to happen if I use it maybe once or twice a week, but if I use it a lot for a few days.  Also dish soap/hands oaps seem to irritate them as well.  If anyone out there uses hand lotion sporadically, watch and see if you break out a few days later, I will continue to teste my theory....
I have been reseraching "Allergic Contact Dermatitis Of The Hands" and most of the information I am finding matches what a lot of us are talking about!  red, tiny blisters called vesicles at the site of skin contact with a certain substance.  Can also look like raised red patches or wheals that can resemble insect bites, although these may be more irregular in shape The rash appears 12 to 48 hours after the second exposure.  It more commonly occurs on the backs of the fingers and web spaces.  Nickel is a common allergen, often found in jewelry. The presence of sweat worsens allergic reactions to nickel. Fragrances and preservatives in lotions often cause rashes on the hands of allergic individuals as well, according to the academy.  (This is from livestrong.com)

Here is some info from a dermatology website: "The allergic reaction is usually vesicles or small blister-like swelling of the skin."
Here is a picture that they provide for what it can look like:

http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/img/acd-hands/source/5.html

You can see the two small raised red blister-like bumps at the joint area on the hand on the left side of the picture (or the persons right hand)

Okay, add me in.  I get them too which is why I did an internet search and here I found this forum.  Mine are exaclty as described by others.  It starts off with one, then I start getting several more on the same hand.  Always near one of the joints of the finger on the bottom, side, or on the knuckes.  I have several right now which hurt.  I've been getting these for the past 6 years, usually in the colder months, and they stay for about a week before they start to get really dry, and then I can pick at them until the dry skin falls off.  Glad to hear others have this too, but of course I wish none of us had to experience this.
I'm with all of you on this one! Once I moved from a very dry climate to a more humid one, these red, sore bumps started showing up on my hands and feet. Happens every spring! Right now my big toe has it now. The sores/bumps are drying up. The skin is starting to peel and feel tender.
I have gotten them off and on for a long time.  I'm confident it's from stress (I was preparing for parent-teacher conferences all weekend) and perhaps related to Herpes Simplex Virus since I got a cold sore on my lip one day after noticing the familiar needle-like sensation on certain spots on my fingertips.  I know HSV roots in nerve tissue, and it feels like a similar origin.  No open sores like a cold sore, just small subdermal pain spots that coincided with my oral breakout.

My remedy: avoid stress, drink lots of water and get plenty of rest.
I'm a 25-year-old female. Same symptoms as most others on here. Today they appeared out of no where. They are mostly on my right hand, and mainly my forefinger and middle finger. I do, however have a couple on my left forefinger. I was pretty worried, but after reading all of these comments I am much more at ease know I am not alone. I am fighting the end of Tonsillitis with medication. Immediately before getting sick I experienced my first yeast infection, and immediately before that (almost overlapping) I had a Urinary Tract Infection. I am also graduating in a month, and moving across the state without a job, so stress and anxiety is definitely a regular in my life. This is the third time I have noticed these bumps, but this is definitely the worst case. I'm going to try to cut back on sugars, and watch my yeast intake. I am definitely not going to the doctor though, since many people here have spent tons of money to be misdiagnosed.
I've gotten these on and off for many years now.  I'm a 31 year old female.  It is very rare for me to ever be ill or have much in the way of health issues.  I do believe that these red bumps show up when I am consuming too much sugar/refined carbs and caffeine.  That coupled with stress really takes a toll on the immune system and this little disturbance is how my body tells me I need to get back on track.  Reducing sugars, processed foods and caffeine always helps along with probiotics and stress reduction!  We are not alone.  Hope this helps!

FYI:  I have had chicken pox as a child.  Never any warts.  The bumps also show up on my toe joints occasionally.  They come any season.  
hi. just looked on the internet for red bumps on fingers that are painful to touch and came accross your website. myself and my sons girlfriend suffer with the exact same thing. just to let you know we both have had chicken pox.
Ive been suffering with these spots for years, I only get one or two at a time but they are painful like there is a splinter there, the area isnt really raised but is red and sometimes you can see a pin ***** mark in the middle of it. I usually know they are there when I hold a pen or something rubs against it. Mine look exactly like Amoriss7200 photos.
  My doctor had no idea what these spots are, they come and go every few months but are always on my fingers mostly the side of my finger or on the underside of my fingertips.
  To my complete amazement my 4 year old daughter came up to me a few days ago and told me she had a badie on her finger, on closer inspection she has exactly the same red painful bump, she told me it hurts when she touches it, it is on her index finger. Whatever these things are they can obviously be passed to our children at birth as I have passed it onto her  :0(
  I hope we can all find out what these painful spots are.
Hi, Everyone.  I am a fellow sufferer from slightly red, slightly tender, periodic lasting several days, variable in number bumps along the lateral surfaces of my fingers.  Usually the index finger is involved, occasionally other fingers as well.  The reason I found this forum is that I am not sure what this is, and I went looking for leads.  I am a medical student in my third year of med school, and I confess that we are exposed to only the common and/or dangerous skin and rheumatological disorders.  This seemingly minor complaint has fallen through the cracks of my training as well as, apparently, everyone else's.  It's possible this hasn't been adequately described...

With that caveat, I think I can help on a few levels.  Number one:  Some of us are describing the same phenomenon that I experience; others of us are describing (slightly, though importantly) different.  It's likely that we are experiencing a cluster of different things that look or even feel similar, but that may have different etiologies and therefore different triggers and treatments.  Very many of you (most) have described (thank heavens) exactly what I seem to have:  no itching, no vesicle (synonym for blister), erratic in occurrence, limited to the sides of the fingers.  I would like to be clear that this is all I am addressing from here on, reason being that things that have a very itchy component with vesicles may SEEM similar, but probably are dyshidrotic eczema.  It's likely that there is also a range of severity for the exact entity that we get, such that someone who gets it in greater numbers, more severely, or in different places besides the fingers probably represents another point on the spectrum of severity.  

So.  In my case, there's more to the story that *may* help.  I am 33, have two young children, and am in my 3rd year of medical school.  I began getting Raynaud's phenomenon (vasospasm of the fingers in the cold, makes them go strikingly dead white in the cold until warmed again) at age 30.  Raynaud's can be an early sign of a number of rheum disorders, including lupus, CREST syndrome (aka limited scleroderma) and Systemic sclerosis.  It's associated with others as well, but those are the biggies.  However, it's USUALLY "primary," which means all by itself and not a harbinger of a looming rheumatic disease.

Well, last year, I got a bad drug reaction to something I had been prescribed, so happened to get a complete rheumatological work-up.  Rheumatological/autoimmune disorders are related to levels of antibodies (infection fighting molecules your body makes) against elements of your cells.  My antibody titer was high for anti-centromere antibodies (the centromere is a part of the nucleus of the cell).   anti-centromere antibody is, indeed, a marker for CREST syndrome (stands for "calcinosis (of the fingers) , raynaud's (also of the fingers), esophageal dysmotility, scleroderma, telangiectasia").  The way these are all linked is that the antibody essentially forms an "Immune complex" in your tiny blood vessels and causes the above by disrupting the normal turnover of collagen, keratin, etc.  

I started getting the bumps on my fingers last year, two years after I started with the Raynaud's and just before I got the positive ANA result.  I do NOT have the rest of the CREST syndrome...yet (and I pray I never actually get it).  But with the way I know vasculidities (disorders affecting blood vessels) to work, I believe this disorder is autoimmune in nature for me at least, and is a very subtle sign of a low-level connective tissue/rheumatic/auto-immune disorder.  

So, for others:  IF you are really disabled by this, get a referral to a rheumatologist who will ask you all the questions under the sun about possible other symptoms of an autoimmune pnenomenon and then will test your blood for antibodies to everything.  IF you are mildly pestered by this, don't worry about it...trust me, you don't want to go looking for an autimmune problem that isn't really doing much.  these things can tick along nearly silently all your life and cause NO problems.  It's frankly very freaky to go investigating because autoimmune stuff can be awful, and then you have to wrestle in your mind with:  well, what if it is X or what if this gets bad?  If you really have a bad rheum disorder, your body will tell you, and then is the time to go to the rheum doctor about it.  Put it out of your mind otherwise.  

About refined sugars, stress, sunlight, HPV:  So...autoimmune disorders are very intertwined with one another, and a classic one that can cause all sorts of weird stuff is celiac disease (autoantibody to an element of wheat, gliadin / gluten).  It's possible you have a low-level antibody to gluten.  HPV:  exacerbations are classically caused by stress, sunlight exposure, hormonal fluctuations.  Mine doesn't track reliably with these triggers, but I do get cold sores when stressed.  I personally think HSV is a tempting link, but I don't think this is what it is.  HSV gives a very "nervy" pain, much more intense (shingles, cold sores, etc...very different brand of pain).  What I have feels sore and I loved the description of a splinter.  This fits with something more irritated in nature, which is what an immune-mediated vasculitis (clogging/disruption of vessels) would do.  And about refined things/acidic diet, etc.  I am awful at this, but EVERYONE SHOULD BE AVOIDING SWEETS AND REFINED THINGS AS MUCH AS ANYONE CAN, PREFERRABLY TOTALLY.   I am trying to do this myself, with halting success.  On stress, I think this makes everything worse...inflammatory pathways are definitely linked to increased amount of stress hormone, as a previous commenter mentioned.  So absolutely, destress as much as you can.  Exercise?  No idea, other than that the circulation is increased and oxygen consumption in tissues goes up, leading to possible exacerbations of the bumps.  But DON'T STOP EXERCISING!  We've established that whatever this is, it's not life-threatening, but not exercising is definitely life-shortening...

We can all make this more useful if we all include some basic facts.

Number one, let's narrow it to this exact complaint.  I'll call it: TENDER BUMPS ON SIDES OF FINGERS, NO ITCHING, NO BLISTERING, GO AWAY ON THEIR OWN AND RECUR ERRATICALLY and abbreviate it "Tender bumps."  

1.  Your age, sex, race - the basics of medical history
2. Exact description of the nature of your tender bumps: When they started (onset), how long they last (duration), how many episodes total, and how bad they get, number, where they are, What makes it worse, what (if anything) makes it better etc.  Most people have done this in their descriptions.
3.  Have you noted any progression, i.e. started out how I describe, then got worse over what period of time, or if it stayed constant.
4.  Do you also have:  HSV (cold sores or genital herpes; you don't have to specify), Raynaud's, any other autoimmune phenomenon, or HPV (warts).
5.  What diagnoses have you been given for these tender finger bumps, and do you think these are correct?
6. Have you tried any treatments, and have they worked?

Okay, cheers, everyone.  I don't know about you, but I am relieved that nobody has posted anything to the effect of:  I had these tender bumps on my fingers and then my head fell off.  i.e., this isn't a specific harbinger of something awful.  I am greatly heartened by those who have had this for umpteen years and are still fine.  Hopefully, at most it's a pain in the butt that may form a link to understanding what else may be going on in your body!
My husband has had very similar symptoms on his hands as well.  He works outside all year long and found that he only started getting these painful bumps around November and they persisted throughout the winter and do not disappear until Spring.  As the years pass, the bumps have become progressively more painful and appeared in greater numbers.

He finally went to the dermatologist and had a biopsy on one of his painful bumps.  His doctor determined these bumps to be Perniosis.  According to WebMD, "Perniosis is an inflammatory disorder that is triggered by prolonged exposure to cold and damp (humid) conditions. It is a form of inflammation of the small blood vessels (vasculitis) and is characterized by painful, itchy, tender, skin lesions on the lower legs, hands, toes, feet, ears and face. The lesions usually last for two to three weeks. One form of the disorder affects the blood vessels of the thighs."

Here is a link to the article on WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/perniosis

We were at a loss as to a diagnosis for about 3 years, so I hope this will help someone determine the root to their problem as well.
I also have these bumps they start small and then group together and form larger bumps they are sore but not filled with puss , only ever on backs of fingers near joints occasionally on back of hand but hardly ever, right hand is worse at the mo around finger joints they are fairly sore today , pleased others have it too and I'm not too odd lol mine tend to appear when the suns out though not when it's cold the doc said originally it was eczema but I can't cover my hands In cream all the time !! He then said it was a heat related rash but admitted he didn't have a clue!! They are annoying and look unsightly but don't bother me too much just wish I knew exactly what it was !
i have little red bumps on my right index finger and it hurts when i bend my finger or rub over it I noticed it right after i was pulling weeds out of the garden. It did go away but it not back and hurts more then ever i thought it was a callus but all the pictures online do not look red?
This is a zinc deficiency for me.  I have the same thing and have had them since I was little, and stress would cause them...same thing...my mom called them nerve bumps.  I did a lot of research on vitamin deficiencies; thinking I might find a cause; I found info on zinc that said something about bumps on the fingers.  So, I tried it.  When I take zinc, it goes away right away.  I have not been taking my vitamins regularly and eating too much sugar, and am going through a stressful event right now.  And, lo and behold, one has come up on the side of my finger today.  I took my vitamins today.  It will be gone in a day or two.  FYI; I was not given the best nutrition as a child.  I hope this helps some other people with this.  It may just be a remedy for me.  I suggest taking a good multi vitamin and some zinc.  And, lay off the sugar and carbs some.
1. 29, Female, Mexican-American – Never had any major surgery or major issues.  
2. Raised little bumps and tender to the touch. Had them a couple months ago for the first time in early March and had them again started 2 days ago. They are on the outer part of my hands around the joints of my fingers and my knuckles. I noticed I had one little red raised bump kind of itchy and tender to the touch while driving to the store. As the day progressed, more bumps started to come out on different fingers on my knuckles. They usually last about 2 weeks. This time around they have not spread to the other hand. I usually get about 2-4 little bumps different sizes on my knuckles. When I wake up in the morning my hands fill swollen.
3. This is the 2nd time I got them and so far it’s not as bad as the first time.
4. I have HSV I have been suffering from cold sores since I was a child and I take Valtrex to help out.  
5. What diagnoses have you been given for these tender finger bumps, and do you think these are correct? Honestly, my dermatologist has no clue what it is. She even did a skin biopsy and nothing came back on it. I even regret letting her do that because now I have a scar.  She did like many of you posted said I have eczema, but that was as much as I got.  
6. She prescribed me a cream, but my insurance took a while to approve it, so I didn’t use anything and they went away on their own.
SOO uber glad I am not the only one with these painful red weird bumps! Ok So I  admit I didnt read all the awsome posts, due to my A.D.D. when they showed up 5 years ago , I went to my pharmacist and he gave me some over the counter stuff, yep back to the A.D.D I forgot what it was called, but they went away the next day ! and it stopped the pain. We forget how much pharmacists know ! They are back once again. and thanks for all the info. and thanks for letting me knw I am not the only one that has them !
I'm 72, had the same red, sore, itchy bumps between fingers several times over the years, I think my Mom did too. I have them now but have been without for perhaps 10 years.
I tried Corn Huskers Lotion- helped a bit; tried Gold Bond Ultimate Healing- a bit better; tried silver ointment- not much good; tried1% Hydrocortisone Cream (OTC)- it is helping a lot. It is absorbing quickly, is dry in 1-2 hours, so can or needs to be applied often- usually feels better within minutes after subsequent applications.
Hope this helps someone else. BTW, it is obvious that stress is a triggering factor. How does one get rid of stress? Good luck to all, and thanks for your posts.
I was reading up on all your suggestions/problems because my boyfriend has the same issues with the small red bumps appearing on his hands and sometimes on his elbows. His dont itch, they feel like small splinters are in his hands and make the smallest tasks hard to do. The episodes last for a days, sometimes weeks and disappear. He'll get about a 2 week break before they come back. We saw a few doctors over the course of 4 months and finally he went to the derm who did a biopsy and his results came back. it turns out he has GOTTRONS PAPULE also known as DERMATOMYOSITIS. read up on it and see if helps any of you. Best wishes to you all, i know how frustrating it can be.
I have had these red bumps on the sides of my fingers on-and-off for years.  Then once when I was at my dermatologist's office for something else, the bumps happened to be there so I showed her and she said it was an allergic reaction.  Shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, which is actually not an allergy (it's an autoimmune disease) but it does mean my body cannot tolerate wheat.  I know that some Celiacs get rashes.  I don't, but I have always wondered if the red bumps are due to wheat.  Just thought I would add this to the discussion.
I'm glad to have found this site. I also have the red painful bumps that appear on the inside of my fingers and thumb. This has been going on for about 12-14 years. Always on my right hand, until now. I am left-handed. I do think stress has a lot to do with it. This is the worst it has ever been, and I have had a lot of stress recently.

I also noticed several years ago, that I have four distinct symptoms that come together. I get intense heartburn, feel uncomfortably warm, have intestinal upset, and the bumps show up. Always, the four symptoms. They do occur more often when I have been stressed. My diet doesn't seem to play a part in it, and I live in Fla, so cold weather isn't a factor for me. I have also been to a few doctors, and they are stumped.

I don't have any food allergies, have no issues with lotions or soaps, am not bothered by dry skin, am female, and in my early 50's. I have had chicken pox and measles as a child. I would really like to know what this is, so I can keep it from happening.
I also had these bumps for years,i have been to the doctors and all they do is take blood and nothing comes out.They give steroids and that seems to help.the bumps start of small mainly in the palm of my hand and seem to spred to my fingers unlike most of you i get it in both hands i to feel like if i had splinters in my skin.i noticed that if i press on them they hurt like the area is sore.i dont know what they are all i know is i am getting them a lot more now then before.it could be stress or a lack of a vitamin perhaps. i eant them gone.if anyone has any answers please let me know
I am also a red-bump sufferer. I've had them for at least 10 years, probably longer. I never thought anything of them until one of my doctors notice the bumps on my hands. They occur mostly on my index finger and thumb, but once in awhile the top of one of my fingers (from the joint to fingertip) will swell painfully. While I was pregnant, and since then, I've started getting the same bumps on my feet.
My doc still doesn't know what it is. She tested me for Lymes (negative) and I'm now scheduled to see a rheumatologist for the inflammation (I also suffer from migraines and joint pain).
I too have dealt with these painful red splotches for about eight years.  They don't blister or open up, sometimes are slightly raised, and start out small then enlarge until fade away and skin dries out as redness dissappears. They never ooze or emit any kind of fluid.  Sometimes appear white in the middle of the red. After reading all of this I am very discouraged and hesitant in that nobody seems to have found any closure or confirmed diagnosis with the doctors, and I dread starting down that road as well.  I want to clarify that my red splotches occur only on the palms of my hands and fingers - never on the top parts of my hands or fingers.  Appear on both hands.  Very rarely they also occur on soles of feet.  I currently have one that appeared yesterday and today I can barely walk. Become more numerous each time.  Feel like blisters - BUT ARE NOT BLISTERS. Anyone else have these exact same symptoms and nothing else with any satisfying explanations from a dermatologist?  Thanks.
Also - my red splotches have no correlation with hot and cold.  Occur year round.  Do not look like anything I've seen related to Celiac disease or Perniosis, and not crusty and/or doesn't peel like dyshidrotic dermatitis.
I have these same blistery bumps on my hands always on the insides of my fingers near the joints, but they are not blisters just somewhat resemble them.  They come and go I have one now on my ring finger, by tomm am, it will be gone and then maybe in a few days, I will have another one on my other hand like on my thumb. This is the problem I have had for at least 7 years. I looked at the pictures of Herpes Whitlock and it looks kinda like my problem but not really.  I have not had any issues on my feet, yet and I hope it does not spread like some other writers have said of their experiences.
Ok, I did some more reserach on Herpes Whitlow, and i'm sure thats not my issue. When I get these "blisters" there is only one per hand, flat and about the diameter of a dime. Whats weird about it is how flat they are, if I run my finger over the spot it does not feel raised. Only a pinkish red circle that hurts like a burning feeling.  I have some fingers that never had it on there while other fingers almost every other week.
I get the same small bumps on the inside (palmside) of my fingers, usually near the tip or in the area inside the second joint.  They are slightly raised with a small red pinprick in the middle.  I started get them 2 months ago and got one or two at a time for a couple of weeks.  They lasted from 2 days to about 5 days.  One of the bumps did look kind of white, though.  Anyway, after reading many of the comments, I realized that they did occur after I got yeast infections.  I've gotten three yeast infections in the last five months.  The small bumps on my fingers began after the second yeast infection.  Then came back after I began treating the third yeast infection with Monistat.  I originally tried Diflucan to treat this one last week, but it didn't go away.  I began the Monistat 3 day treatment 2 days ago and got a bump on my finger today.  I have been under a lot of stress and I know I have a poor diet, especially when I'm under stress.      
Hi to Everyone,
Well, just add me to one of you guys who has red sores on their hands.  But my worry is, before is just used to be on my knuckles.  Nows, the top and palms of my hands are covered with red spots.  
I tried to massage my hands on my own.
However, my hands turned darker or blackened and the red sores are moving towards my wrists.

My mom says it is cause by my smoking.  By the way, she's a doctor.  I have been smoking for 26  years now and the nicotine and tar are blocking the tiny passage way  in the extremities.  Extremities, namely the hands and feet.

I really wish we could exchange ideas just so that we could be more well informed.

Is there anyway we could upload the pictures so that all of us can claerly see these red rashes?

I have gotten these bumps on the insides of my fingers ever since I was a child. My description matches the original poster's description exactly, except mine can last a lot longer, sometimes a couple of months. In addition, the skin beneath the bumps gets wrinkly and dry after I've had them a few weeks. I find it very irritating when I bend my fingers.

I've treated it as an allergy, an infection and a fungus, which didn't work. They just clear up on their own for no obvious reason. After reading this forum, I decided to try to treat it like a cold sore. I have Abreva cold sore cream in the medicine cabinet, and I applied it last night and this morning. There is a definite change in the bumps already. They still prickle, but they appear to by drying up and shrinking. I'm also now taking Lysine. I'll check back in and let you know how it goes.
The Abreva cold sore treatment seems to be doing the trick for me. It's about a day and a half since I did the first application. The bumps are gone, and the skin where they've been for the past month is a bit dry and sore still, but obviously on the mend. I'm so thankful everyone here shared their frustration about this and gave me an idea for a different solution to try, because these bumps are the pits, especially when I'm traveling.
Hi ... I am experiencing this for the first time over the last 2 months. I do know I am stressed and I am a fitness instructor/personal trainer so workout a lot per day weekly! My nutrition is very good and I have done nothing different lately to relate this too.

I wish it would go, in the time it's appeared (it started on my right index finger) it has gone once, but re-appeared and this week appeared on my left index finger too and on each middle finger I have one spot on the inside of the knuckle closest to the index finger!
This does pain when pressed and looks red, is there any topical cream I can use???
YES! This is common, we get it.  Everyone keeps telling their personal stories that are all the same!  These bumps obviously come on by stress and/or overuse of the hands (wearing gloves every day, doing dishes in really hot water, knitting/sewing, etc.)  There is NO cure, because it is a sensitivity your body has and you will have these reactions to stressors for the rest of your life!  The best thing to do- minimize your physical stressors (cooler water, wear loose gloves, etc.).  Honestly, a little pain for a few days on your fingers is not a big deal- at least it's not cancer right??  BTW, I've had cancer twice so I try not to sweat the small stuff- like these stupid finger bumps- they bug me too but it's minimal and passes relatively quickly... Until the next flare-up!
I looked at your pictures and it's ecactly what mine looks like when it starts out, then mine progress and get more painful. For some reason they started out on my wrists when I was about 5 BEFORE I GOT CHICKEN POX! I am now 18.  Over the years I began to notice them more and more and they've gotten worse. I can be stressed or not stressed at all and they will still appear. Right now they're on my left index finger, right index finger, right middle finger including the knuckel and pinky. I'm really dissapointed to hear that a dermatologist does not know what is going on because mine hurt pretty bad. I don't think they're cause by sweat because my hands sweat A LOT and they don't apper after sweating. although they do dissapear they are irritating when they are on my hands :( Good to know I'm not alone!
I don't always have to be stress out to get them and for the people who are writers or artists this could be a problem especially when they have them on knuckles. I agree that it is not as bad as cancer. How do you know there is no cure for this????? or there won't ever be. maybe it's one of those rare diseases like on mistery diagnosis. I know i can't spell but still, i'm sorry that you've had cancer but you don't need to be so incensitive. We're just sharing our stories!
I apologize, there are so many posts that I did not have a chance to read all of them, only about 30 (but I promise that I will try). I have very similar symptoms.  I am a 26 year old female, and although I don't know how long this has been occuring, I believe it started at least 6 or so years ago , maybe even in my late teen years, and has gotten worse over time.  I started out with just a few raised bumps on my hands. Everytime I went to see a dermatologist, the bumps would have dissapated by the time my appointment arrived.  So I would make sure I took pictures and brought them with me. Only two dermatologists were able to see it (one in person and one through the picture). One claimed that I was suffering from "hand acne" and the other said I had "papules" which I believe is just a bump.  

I seem get them for at least 2-4 weeks monthly and then it will skip a few months.  It starts slow with a few bumps on my hands, and more will appear mainly my knuckles, but also palms and other scattered parts on my hands   I often get these same bumps on my knees and elbows.  It is very embarrasaing as they seem to be much more red than the ones on my hands.  

The only difference I have noticed between the different locations is that my hands will seem raised and group into two bumps and on middle and pointer fingers they will combine and grow into large red bumps.  They are uncomfortable and make it hurt to open any type of bottle or any other item that has a twist or a pull.  On my elbows and knees its typically the same thing, except they dry a little and sometimes get itchy before they dissapear.  

I have been trying to do some research finding out what it could be.  I know a lot of people say it is brought on by stress.  I have generalized anxiety disorder, ocd and panic attacks, so it is hard for me to relate it into my symptoms.  One thing I have noticed within the past year is that the bumps will start to appear a week before my menstrual cycle and last the following week.  The only exception has been this past month where they actally appeared the week after.  I have had them only on my hands this time and I'm going on my third week with them.  I notice that I am waking up with more and more.  And for some reason the bumps (especially near knuckles and where fingers meet the palm) are very sensitive in the morning.  Bending my fingers hurts and washing my hands will hurt.

When I do get the bumps, I will always get them on my hands, but only somtimes get them on elbows and knees.  My boyfriend is a pharmacist and has been taking photos trying to document them and has been pretty stumped.  I tried using any anti-hystimine creams and they do not help.  When I was younger (late teen or early twenties) I started birth control as a means to help acne.  Part of me thinks that this is when the bumps appeared.  

My boyfriend and I were both doing research tonight.  There are two possibilities that we found to be the closest to my symptoms. One is called "xanthoma, eruptive - a drug reaction". When I looked it up, all but one picture seemed to be the closest to what I'm experiencing.  I have a doctors appointment in a few weeks so I plan to bring in the a print out of the webpage and pictures to ask the doctor. The other website that my boyfriend found mentioned a virus called "coxsackie virus". This one seems less likely to me.  

While looking up xanthoma I found that it can be caused from medications, hpv and family history of diabetes or the bumps can lead to diabetes.  I believe it started after I began birth control, I found this year that I had gotten a strand of hpv that clears up on its' own, and my grandmother has diabetes.  I don't think hpv is a link because that appeared this year and the bumps have occured longer.  Also I am hoping that it is not related to diabetes.  

I'm so happy to know I'm not alone because I have never met anyone with the same symptoms.  After hours of searching online, to find a forum of people with very similar symptoms is almost a relief.  If there are so many of us, I'm hoping that there is some name, treatment or cure out there.  Please let me know if any of you have heard of any of this or think it may relate.  Sorry to go on, but thank you for listening!
-Jenna
▀▀ CAUSE ▀▀▀

Its been a while since I have updated this cause I was not sure if I found out what causes this.

I believe most of us are allergic to "potassium sorbate" aka "sorbic acid" Its in everything "salad dressing , hot sauce from taco bell, dipping sauce, cheese , yogurt, mayonnaise.  Just take a look at things you are eating and you will be shocked.

I discovered after eating some yogurt that my red bumbs started to appear. I had done real well for some time until the dots came back.  I decided to research everything that was in that yogurt.

I discovered that "potassium sorbate" aka "sorbic acid" has a side effect where it causes skin irritations.

extra info: http://www.livestrong.com/article/212075-what-is-potassium-sorbate-made-of/

▀▀ Home Remedies  ▀▀

Take an allergy pill each day

Pour hot wax on the red dot when it starts.Let it cool.  I heard this from a woman in mexico that had the same issues.

▀▀ Other Info ▀▀▀

I tend not to break out if I watch my intake of potassium sorbate.  You really will be shocked if you try to cut this out of your diet.  Syrup , shampoo, toothpaste.  If you have any other questions you can email @ coldkc75 (@) (GMAIL .com

-good luck
I believe I actually have read every posting so far on this "red bumps on the fingers" mystery. Most of your posts have been very enlightening and even comforting to know I'm not the only one w this lifelong mystery. Although, I wonder if some postings are not from people suffering from something completely different, even after they state they 'have exactly the same thing'.
I began getting these little bumps off & on since I was 8. Obscure little red bump, feels like a "sticker", very painful to touch when it 1st appears then less over time until it disappears after a week or 2. I panicked over them as a kid until my mom (who was always into health food stores and reflexology, before it was "cool") looked at them and said, "Eh, they're just nerve bumps."
I am now 42. I've had sometimes a year to even a decade or more in between and I only Googled this for the 1st time because they recently reappeared. Again, near a joint of the fingers of my right hand. 1st, and worst! at the pad of my right hand near the "pointer" finger (now gone and just a small white spot, like a tiny blister that healed). 2nd bump appeared below the top joint of the same finger (now almost gone) Next one came as the 1st 2 were healing, near the cuticle of my right thumb. Ouch! The next one is below the middle joint of my middle finger. The last is below the middle joint of my pinkie. I say "last" loosely since I can actually see the beginnings of more just under the surface of the pads of my right hand & fingers which may or may not become painful.

I am Caucasian, female, No antibiotics for at least 2 years or more. Haven't been recently sick. I avoid wheat and sugar wherever I can but am not strict on that. I live in a hot, humid climate but they also appeared back when I lived in a cold, dry climate too.

I assume mine are triggered by stress since my skin seems to be my personal "stress barometer".  Makes sense to me though, since I read somewhere that skin issues have to do w inner conflicts coming to the surface...as in something or someone is bugging you. And physiologically speaking, the right hand is the one we give away our energies with. But I'm not a physiologist or a psychologist. I will say though I've been thru several, more severe, long term periods of stress in my life and they never made their personal appearance. Sometimes it was something new...and definitely worse! Go figure.
i feel so much better now that i found this page on this odd thing that keeps happening. Im actually a second year college student and this is the first time that these bumps have occured. they just started today. i have one on my right finger near the joing and on my pinky finger actually on the joint. Then as i was reading these post my elbow started to get soar from leaning on the desk then realized it was bc of a N E W bump... and looked on my other elbow and noticed another.

Im not going to lie, it really is bothering me. I have been stressed out lately but ive been stressed before and never got these types of bumps before.
To be completely honest i picked one, like i squeezed it like it was a pimple and it left a tiny tiny little hole that you can barely see on my pinky joint.(bc i was scared that it was something that was dangerous or could grow and get bigger, just wanted it to stop looking the way it did, but now all i was make it more sore -__-)

The only real question i have that i hope can be answered is whether or not theres an antibiotic , cream type of medication that can help this. i dont like these things at all!! i just want them to go away. Although there not that noticealbe or sensitive until you touch them, i still dont like having them, i feel weird.....

HELP, SUGGESTIONS!?!?!
I read a lot of the comments and am suffering from a similar condition. I just got red painful blisters on my fingers, near my knuckle joints and between my ring finger and my finger to the left of my pinky on my right hand. I have a prickly sensation on the tips of 2 of my fingers and can see it starting to blister near my cuticle on the side of my finger tips.

Recently I started having problems with losing my voice at the end of the work day. Then I started getting pain in my wrist, elbow and under my right armpit. Then i felt a slight burning sensation when i just caress the top of my arm skin. Like something burning just under the surface of my arm skin.

Then 2 days ago I started getting the rash on my right hand. Its very painful and I can barely make a fist. Pins and needles I guess you can say. Im 38 years old and have never had this condition.

I just got back from the doctor and he diagnosed it right away...

Shingles.

It seems shingles is a sister virus to chickenpox. If not treated shingles can lead to serious health complications. From everything I read here on this forum I have exactly what most of you are saying you have.

Shingles.

So look it up and see if this diagnosis helps you. I hope it does.

it's slightly surreal to be having the same symptoms as everyone else on this post. Has anyone noticed that the red lumps often start with a small scab or blackish centre like a splinter. i am a consultant paediatrian and am absolutely sure this is not chicken pox or shingles. I notice that i get more when i cycle (with cycling gloves on) or work in the lab with tight fitting nitrile gloves, so my hunches are infection ? fungal. will show to my dermatology friends and hopefully post back one day !
I have the same problem as everyone (almost) its Dyshidrosis, It can be severe/disfiguring  for some, a nuisance for others. no known reason or cure, but was originally believed to be from severe sweating. at least 90% of  the posts I'm reading are the usual symptoms. Don't worry its not contagious. for more info  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishydrosis
I just did a search today because I have just started having a problem w/ this recently. It has never happened before. I am a 31 yr old, caucasian female, who lives in Florida. About 5 days ago, I woke up w/ a couple of small red bumps, about the size of a pen tip, one on my thumb on my left hand and one on my middle finger, on my right hand (they are on the underside of my fingers). Then yesterday when I woke up, I had three more. On the palm of my R hand, and middle finger again. Now, when I woke up today, I have about 10 more that have shown up. More on the palm of my R hand, the same middle finger, pinkie on my R hand and ring finger on my L hand. They are not painful, unless touched (by picking up something, or opening a door, holding things) and it feels like a splinter. They don't itch... I haven't had any other symptoms or medical problems. I was just very concerned as to what this problem could be. I've looked up pictures of the conditions that have been listed here and none of them look like what I have... However, I don't think you would be able to see them if a picture was taken. They are very small and not red enough that they would show. It is comforting to know from the posts describing the same problem, that this is not contagious... And that I am not alone in this... However, it does concern me that those who describe the same exact problem, have not been able to find out what it is, what is causing it, or how to treat it... Also, that so many have had this problem for SO long! Has anyone figured out more about this??
that's funny, I got the same type of condition - small raised red bumps, filled with clear liquid -- while in law school. especially  bad while studying for the bar exam. just annoying to see more than anything else.
This is my first time getting this and it started out as one bump and by the end of the day I had 33 all together. They are very tiny and tender to the touch and are on my elbows, palms of my hands, in between my fingers, joints of my fingers, and on my forearms. I was very concerned at first but after reading this it makes sense. My stress has been outrageous lately and I'm going to try the less wheat and sugar thing. Hopefully it helps...I have to meet my boyfriend's mom this weekend and don't want her thinking I have lepracy or something
So i also have the same thing. Im 21. They ONLY appear on my index fingers. Recurring most often on my right index fingers knuckle (where they always appear) and they'll disappear then spring back up almost overnight. No fluid no pain. Sometimes a mild discomfort, sometimes they itch crazy. The left knuckle has teen tiny bumps around a mosquito sized bump, the right look like 2 bumps side by side.

Recently i had a rash of bumps spring up on my right elbow right below, it inched crazy now doesn't but is still there i wonder if its connected.

It reminds me of a wart the way they keep coming back, i have no clue.

Does anyone?

-Crystalrayne
Hi everyone,
      Today i noticed that my hands were extremely dry and that on my fingers i had these painful red bumps. i thought it was because i was sick but when i told my dad he told me he got them too. i was looking up all sorts of things when i found this and ready EVERYTHING that was written on this page. I have looked up that shingles things and honestly don't think it is that because i don't feel it is that severe. But i also do not know what it is. My dad and me both get them and the only thing i can conclude is that it is due to stress; which is weird because i am under no more stress that usual. It could be that my body is under stress because it fighting off a bad cold but thats all i can think of. All ik is i dont want these bumps to get worse so if ANYONE knows what they are plz tell me.

~Jessica~
How many years of post did I just read!! OMG I need a nap now.
I have the bumps like every one else. Just one at a time, pen head size, only painful when touched.
Then when they go away the skin dries up around the area, looks wrinkly and old. My 29 year old hands look horrible in a small eraser size area for another week or so and then all better.

I wonder if the Abreva will work, like a above post said? i will try it and report back
Hi. This sounds repetitive
But I also have the exact same thing, (nice to know it's common) wish I read a cure though lol.
I get very few every so often but I have recently (3weeks ago) had a baby. I'm inclined to think it's most likely cause by stress after reading everyone's input. As a personal trainer I eat really clean so I have doubts about yeast and sugar but I guess it is a possibility as yeast, and dairy are two very hard things for your body to break down. Sugar on the other hand your body recognizes quite a bit easier and can readily dispose of it and burn the rest so most likely if this was the case I would pin it on the yeast/ wheat.
So there you have it: stress and diet... Now to find an ointment that works to get rid of them...
I've tried steroid cream... It works in just a couple days they are gone (1-3 days)
I have the exactt same thing as you. I'm 19, and the little bumps are only on my index fingers of my hands, on my elbows, and there's a little on my foot and back of ankle too.
Someone in the very beginning of the thread said something about having too much bad bacteria in her stomach and not enough good bacteria.
I was on antibiotics for about a month before this and just got off of them. I wonder if taking some probiotics will make them go away?
I have them too. I get them like 4-10 bumps at a time. In diff areas on both hands. Never on my palms or back of palms. But always anywhere on my fingers. Mostly the sides or by joints. But I do get them on the pads of my fingers and the tops sometimes. They are really just annoying to me. Sometimes when they are on the pads of my fingers it hurts when I touch things like when writing or pulling a cupboard open. I am 27 and have gotten them since I was in highschool. So about 10 or more years. Good to know im not the only one with these.
Shocker I have the same thing. Mostly on the tops of my fingers. You can not tell they are there unless looking for them, but are very sensitive to the touch. I have found something that helps but is by no means a cure. It is very rare but I do get them in between my fingers and they don’t itch but they drive me even more crazy b/c they are constantly in touch with my fingers rubbing together. I put band- aids on them to keep them from rubbing. Once I had no choice but to use a band aid with Neosporin all ready on it and it was instant relief. Now I use Neosporin when I get them on the tips of my fingers too. This just helps with the sensitivity. It still takes a few weeks for them to go away completely, and I still have the dry skin areas after they are gone.
On a side note I agree with the stress thing.
Hope this helps.  
A few similar bumps just came up a few weeks ago. They look a bit like infected splinters but are not.  They are located on my right index and right little fingers, between finger nail and top joint.  I am thinking these are CHILL BLAINS as (according to Wikipedia) they are related to connective tissue disorders, which I have.  Other people (see above posts) have also pointed a bumpy finger at chill blains.

These autoimmune family things can have all sorts of symptoms.  I have other hand and feet symptoms (neuropathies) like mild burning, big toe numbness and a few other things. I was diagnosed years ago with Sjogrens syndrome but I believe that other members of the connective tissue family of disorders can also be found if you are prone to it. I am not an expert on this and my conclusions are drawn from having read information from medical websites.
I get this, wondering if its psoriasis?????
It's Raynaud's disease
I have these bumps too. Ive only had them twice already and i may think it might have a little to do with stress. But i have no idea what they are. they are not just on my fingers its also on my palm of my hands. Please help find an answer
Mine was also stumped today by my painful bumps. I'm a surgical technologist so this *****. However, I was prescribed prednisone which is helping to my surprise. I thought maybe this would help. I know I'm aggravated no one knows what this is.
I have had symptoms of Reynaud's also.  And chillblains can be related to  Reynauds.  Reynauds is in the autoimmune/connective tissue problem area.
i have these red bumps on my finger as well, so does my brother and grandad it can be inherited, we go diagnosed with psoriasis, it flares up when your stressed and you can usually get steroid cream to sooth it :)
I also have those bumps and found the perfect picture and site;

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/hand_dermatitis.html

Hi everybody,

I think I have a similar problem.
You can watch my pictures to see if it looks like yours.
I tried a lot of stuff but the only thing that helped me was Ravintsara essential oil. Since I put it on my fingers few months ago, they didn't come back.

Hope you find this useful.
Good luck to all of you.
OMG, I'm going nuts right now- I have the EXACT same thing on my hands, this particular episode when the little red bumps went away my hands look like I have moles or freckles (just realizing that subconsciously I am under sum extreme STRESS right now) I would like 2 email w/ u all about this so maybe 2gether we can come 2 a consensus about this, it really blows me... ***@**** is my email, I look 4wd 2 hearing 4 u :) ~S.DOT
i think 'tender bumps' is something related to chemicals.  my daughter cleaned the bathroom floor yesterday with a wet rag using her hands and feet.  both her hands and feet had 'tender bumps' the next day.  the only chemical i am aware of that was on the floor was a little bit of AJAX.  She also simultaneously has several ulcers in her mouth which occurred BEFORE the tender bumps.  she is 14, we are in seattle, wa, it is in the 40's and high moisture (pretty much the same for the past month).  it is fall and hardly any airborne stuff. she also has a sore throat.  she was also a little stressed yesterday due to having to do a lot of chores.
I just went to a dermatologist with the same symptoms and was diagnosed with dyshidrotic eczema (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyshidrosis). Mine never itched, just felt like splinters under my skin. I was told to keep my skin heavily moisturized (I live in Minnesota and it's cold & dry here now), and was prescribed a steroid for outbreaks, although it's super greasy so I have a hard time using it. I can reply with the name of it when I have a moment.
Viewing 1-200 comments: