red bumps on lips/swollen and dry

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red bumps on lips/swollen and dry

for the past few days, my lips have been red, swollen, and with little red bumps on them. it's also around the corner of my lips on the left side. they are also dry and sometimes there's this pus that comes out (making my lips have this crust on them when i wake up). the only thing i can think of, because i don't think i'm allergic to anything or that it's herpes, is that i have been using a lot of a petrolatum ointment (aquaphor) because i recently moved back home for the summer (from school) and the apartment is a lot drier than the one that i lived in during school. could i have overdone the ointment?

what could this be? what should i do about this? i have an appointment with a dermatologist  in three weeks, but i want an answer before then, because this is a little unsightly and it sometimes hurts.

thanks!
anyone??
It does not sound like herpes.In fact it sounds like angular cheilitis.It is an inflammatory lesion at the labial commissure, or corner of the mouth, and often occurs bilaterally.

It is not always appropriate to treat the infection with vasoline or lip balm, as this increases the moisture level of the area and can lead to spreading the infection to surrounding skin.Instead dry out the lesions and use petroleum jelly to lock out moisture.An Athlete’s foot cream which contains both antibacterial and anti fungal properties is also helpful.

If the symptoms persist then it will be best to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.Oral antimicrobials may be needed.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how  you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.