Dermatology Expert Forum
red itchy bumps on legs and in groin region

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

hi for the past week i have had a problem with small, sometimes large bumps on my legs and in my groin region. they itchy like crazy. i apply hrdrocortizone and that seems to help. i dont itch at night but only during the day. a few days ago i thought that maybe it might be something like herpes or HPV but i was talking to people and they said that if it was something like that it would not be helped with by hydrocortizone. i have also seen bumps on my scrotum. i am concerned that it could be something more than a simple infection or rash. i am a sexually active gay male that has only had 3 sexual partners in the past 6 months, all unprotected sex. i still keep in touch with these individuals and they all report nothing different to me. one of those people has even been tested and they came out neg. for everything.
     as far as the itching goes it was a lot worse a few days ago before i applied the cream to it. since it has lessened in intencity and seem to feel better each day. about 2 months prior i had an itch in my under-arm that felt the same way but didnt have any  bumps or none that i could tell. this too went away after i put the cream on. could these two be related or are they totally different. i would like to know what a professional thinks before i go inside a doctors office and make a big deal out of something that is really nothing. also do any of these incidents seem to be related to any kind of std or sti? no discharge of penis and no flu-like symptoms or fever...please helpo with my questions as i am very concerned thank you
While your description does not remind me of any STD, I can't tell you what it is.  You don't need to be concerned about "making a big deal" out of anything--if you have a problem and you itch and don't know what it is, then you ought to see a doctor so you can ask.  You may want to avoid unprotected sex, even if this particular episode is not sexually related.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
ok i have still not seen a doctor because i am waiting to get tested with my other half. the ''rash'' reminds me of something like scabies but i am not sure. it is on my legs and when i scratch my legs i can see that the hair folicals get raised and itch more. could this be something else? and not the underside of my penis by the head has started to itch too. and about a week ago i had a small raised bump on my penis head. i threw out herpies (herpes) because it didnt hurt at all didnt itch or anything, i thought it might be because i was masterbating (masturbating) and i have since stopped and it has went away but where it was the skin got dry or i guess you could also say scabed over but the term dry fits it better and it kinda just flaked off. but where it used to be the skin is darker. i have two or these spots. i am going to get tested but i am starting to think that if it was herpies (herpes) i would be in pain and it if was warts they would not itch...so now i am just confused.
What you describe does not sound like scabies, herpes, or warts.  The way to get un-confused is to leave the area alone, and ask a doctor to have a look.  There is no need for you to be tested at the same time as your partner, if that is holding things up.

Dr. Rockoff
thank you so much. i will be getting tested here soon. and i have talked to a doctor here in town and he says it doesnt sound like an std but more like a bacterial infection.
well as i wait and see the itching just stopped and the small spots on my penis just went away. the itching well, hasnt stopped completely but mostly and frankly i just find this odd. was it just a rash that i got or something? have you ever heard of anything like this before?
Dragon,

What you described in your post on 3/21/05 is the exact same thing I've been going through for the past month and a half.  I went to my doctor and he just thought it to be a allergy reaction of sorts due to sensitive skin. but now I wonder because you have the same thing.  I've done the scabies treatment because I thought it might be that, but that didn't work.

I've noticed that when I go out drinking alot it tends to flare up the next morning.....Doctor could this be alcohol related?  Liver/Kidneys?

Have you since found out what it might be?  or has it gone away?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated....this is driving me crazy.
well man i did the scabies thing and it cleared up. i have not had a drink in a while so it might be that. but if this is related to drinking i will for sure not drink too often thats for sure
Just posting to say I am having the same issue described by dragon63 [03/04/2005].  The red bumps aren't consistant in pattern or dense.  Usually around hair folicals on trunk.  Forehead, arms, legs, and scrotum have had a few of these bumps too, but started on scrotum then trunk and legs then spread to upper arms and forehead.  I've noticed a matching red itchy "bump" on the penis where the foreskin lies on the scrotum's red itchy spot.  If itched consistanly, they will puss, eventually break and bleed, leaving a bit of a crater looking area.  Family "DO" [as opposed to "MD"] doctor indicates possibility of Staph.  All STD tests have come back negative [HIV, clamydia (chlamydia), syphillus]. I am a gay male that has multiple partners.
I have red bumps on my legs that kind of look like the measles and I also have vaginal itching that sometimes burns.  Has anyone had this and would you know what this could be.
Hey I have had the same thing as dragon and I did the scabies treatment and my right forearm was consumed by a blister like scab and cleared up after the treatment...but now a month or two later it is showing up again so I don't think it's scabies...have you found out what it is dragon? I am concerned because I wake up with my legs and arms very itchy, I put cortizone on them but it only helps a little.
hi! my skin near the groin area i.e on either side of my upper thighs has lost all the testure because of frequent itching that i had for 3 - 4 days. It turned dark and dead.I have red bilters on my thighs also,One on my scrotum which was broke up and pus was formed,Now its healed and left a scar, have white formation on my penis(does not itch) .My Doc said it is a fungus infection and suggested antiboitics for one month and to wear loose clothing. I have unprtected sex with my girlfriend every week.Is this STD ? I am getting worried. Do i get myself diagoinised ?please help
A related discussion, Vulva bumps was started.
A related discussion, Stucco keratosis was started.
A related discussion, lumps all over me was started.
A related discussion, std? was started.