Dermatology Expert Forum
red line up the underside of the shaft my penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I have had a red line going up the underside-center of the shaft of my penis all the way from the balls to tip for about two and a half years now, I think it appeared after having unprotected sex. When I first noticed it back then there was also a slight pain in the same areas when a little preasure was applied to the area. after about five or six months the pain had gone away, but the redness remained and is still there to this day. I went to my family doctor recently to get an std test done because I had two very small growths that looked like very small white heads right by the tip of my penis, and those turned out to genital warts (isn't that just wonderful), I believe I got those from another girl I had unprotected sex with a couple months ago. I had the warts removed and a urine culture done to check for any other std's, and I had hoped that the test would tell me what was causing the redness. Well, much to my suprise the std test came up negative, and so after that my doctor didn't really explain to me what he thought the red line going up the shaft might be. So I would just like to know your opinion on what you think might have caused such a redness and I hope my description was good enough to give you an idea of what I am talking about. The warts on my penis did not look anything like the ones I have seen on the internet, they were very tiny ,about the diameter of the very tip of a sharpened pencil, I don't know if that is because they just didn't have enough time to grow, or could the doctor have mis-diagnosed me. I have read that penile cancer can produce very small growths around the tip of the penis that might look like tiny white heads, and that penile cancer can also cause pain around the tip and down the shaft of the penis as well, like the pain i experienced when the red line first appeared. I really hope that penile cancer isn't the case but I need to know if those are some good indications that i should get checked for that. I am only 23, and i have read that penile cancer doesn't usually show up in people untill they are around 40 or 50.
Red lines on the underside of the penis are normal anatomical variants, meaning that many people have them and they mean nothing.  As to the "two very small growths that looked like very small white heads right by the tip of my penis," it's quite uncommon to get warts there and much more common to get small cyst-like growths.  I am therefore skeptical that they were warts.  As to penile cancer, none of your symptoms remind me of anything to do with that.  (If you're circumcised, that would make it even less likely.)

You need proper diagnosis and reassurance.  I'd see a dermatologist or urologist and set yourself straight on all these matters.  Be sure not to be shy about telling the doctor everything you're worried about, so you can get all the information you need.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff