red rash around crown and under foreskin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi, I've had this red rash around the crown of my penis, in the area covered by the foreskin, and also on the foreskin itself. It itches sometimes, and sometimes it burns a little, but not a lot. There is no discomfort urinating. I don't have fever or feel any tired. There is no pus or anything. I haven't had random sex and my partner is completely clean. The only thing I can think of is accidentally touching the rim of the toilet with the tip of my penis one morning that I sat to pee (with an erection on). I washed my penis after that.
I can't afford to just go see a dermatologist to be prescribed a stupid cortisone cream or a mild antibiotic, and I get confused with all the definitions that I've fund online.
I really would like to get a medical opinion, thanks!!!!
I would say is balanophostitis.  It is like a fungus or yeast infection, nothing so serious, but it bothers so much because is very persistent and recurrent. Balanophostitis is balanitis and inflammation and infection of the foreskin for fungus. Search online for pictures of balanitis. I had the same time ago. It could be the toilet, because mine started after I use a toilet in a department store.
Sorry I'm not a doctor I just told you my opinion
Avatar n tn
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I'll try that Neosporine cream I've read about, see if it helps. It's actually almost gone, just by keeping the foreskin back and the area dry.
yea keep the foreskin retracted and dry it with a fan after a shower. Also dilute 2 teaspoons of white vinegar in a glass of water and soak your penis in for a couple of minutes, this was recommended to me by a doctor. I heard plain yoghourt is also a good home remedy. I tried everything, but unfortunately nothing worked, not even all kind of medications given to me by doctors. I ended up having a circumsicion and everything cleared after 1.5 years suffering with recurrent balanitis. I hope you feel better and heal soon.
Avatar n tn
Thanks man, glad to hear you're good now. I'm almost OK myself, I give it a couple days before it's good to go.
It can be due to contact dermatitis or balanitis. Oral course of antibiotics is needed. In addition, don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin. Also corticosteroids and topical immunosuppressants can be used but they are available under prescription. Also retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then consult a urologist/dermatologist for evaluation and antimicrobials and steroids prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar n tn
It went away by just keeping the foreskin retracted, clean and dry, and giving it time. I didn't use any antibiotics or any creams, and I'm definitely glad I didn't use corticosteroids. But thanks for the advice.
Hey i had the same problem its an yeast infection its VERY common in uncircumcised men of all ages...make sure u wash on a normal basis i been having this problem for years now and just did somethin about it a few months ago got tired of the issue went to see an Dr and i had yeast infection and something else that i can really spell the word lol but its common and yes you should go see a Dr thet gave me some cream they told me to us it twice a day i used it once in the morning and once before bed time u will really see the results of it...im now looking fwd on getting circumcised soon its best to get that cream and us it when u feel like ur having a itch going on and goodluck