red ring on head of penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red ring on head of penis

I am 23 years old, circumsized and have had a red oval "ring" on the head of my penis for about 3 years now. The redness becomes increasingly more apparent when my penis is rubbed up against something or is erect. It looks as if the skin within this "ring" is very thin and appears shiny red when penis is erect or semi-erect. I have been to the dermatoligist several times and he has told me that I have a case of granuloma annulare and prescribed me a liquid steroid called clobex. This medication didnt seem to work well and I am still left with this red "ring". The skin is not raised at all just red with no pain. When flaccid this ring is hardly noticable and takes on more of a light pinkish color. I have no pain but the skin in that area seems somewhat more sensitive than the surrounding skin. I have also recently gotten an STD check which came out negative for every possible STD. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this eyesore?
From your symptoms I agree with your dermatologist that it can be a case of granuloma annulare. Granuloma annulare is a chronic disease consisting of a rash with reddish bumps arranged in a circle or ring. Usually it is asymptomatic but due to cosmetic disfigurement topical or oral steroids may be needed.
My sincere advice is to consult a dermatologist regarding the prescription of steroids because on penis we have to use them very judiciously.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.