red skin blotches

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red skin blotches

Hello all.  I have developed red skin blotches about 5mm to 7mm in diameter on my body.  Total time is one month since I first noticed them.  They first appeared on my chest, then spread to my stomach, back and finally to the insides of my arms and legs.  They seem to be under the skin, not on top.  They are not raised like bumps and they do NOT itch at all.
When slight pressure is applied to the skin area, they disappear, then reappear right after.  I did go a doctor who sent me for blood and stool tests.  Also went to a dermatologist.  Both seem perplexed, since the blotches do not itch and show no symptoms of a typical rash.  I am still waiting for the blood test results.  The only information I have is that it may be a viral infection that will eventually clear by itself.  Lastly, I don't seem to have the blotches on my legs, feet hands, neck, with only a couple on my face mustach area (I don't have a mustach, I shave.)
Any information would be helpful.  Thank You for reading.      
my husband has the exact same issue with red spots all over him and nobody knows what it is, and nobody believes that it doesnt itch. have your blood tests come back yet? does anyone know what this is?
No, blood tests have not been evaluated yet.  I have called to ask what the delay is.
Both the Dr. and dermotologist think my blotches are caused by a virus and that the spots will fade and dissipate over time.  The dermotologist comment was that there are a billion viruses out there and the chances of finding the one that caused my blotches are next to nil.  I hope the blood tests reveal something.  I will post once I know anything.
I am going to pick up a copy of my blood test results today.  However, the Dr's nurse did call and left me a message that the doc had looks at my results and did NOT find anything of "concern".  I don't think it to be my imagination, but the blotches appear to have faded somewhat.  The quantity has not really changed, but they do not look as "bright" as they once did.  I can only hope the trend continues.
Lab test results were inconclusive specifically in regard to my blothes/spots.  I do have a followup appt scheduled for 3-26-09 to discuss these results and my old lab results taken in 10-2006.  I did have a couple of tests that were out of the reference range.  BTW, I am 50yrs old, just for the record.  Regards,