red splotchy itchy rash on ankles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red splotchy itchy rash on ankles

I just started a new job where I am out in the sun (in Miami) all day. I wear sunblock (50). After about a week i started to get a blochy red itchy spot on my front and back left ankle. at first it looked almost like a crazy spider bite. I applied cortisone. When I was off for two days, it almost subsided but after working again for one day it is back with a vengence and is now on my right ankle as well as spreading up my leg. It went from small circular blotches to widespread blotches. I admit I have scratched a little but on the whole have refrained. The rash now spreads around both ankles/lower legs. I do not know if this is a heat related rash (but there are no bumps), an allergin, or from maybe the sun?
Hi and welcome. Im here also and the sun can really do a job on the skin. The  scratching most likely caused it to spread. Sun block is really not enough here. You need to keep the areas covered as much as possible.