red spot on hand

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red spot on hand

I have a 1.25 inch smooth round red spot on top of my hand. Not raised.  Cortisone cream gets rid of it in a few days, but it comes back in about six weeks. This is my fourth "attack." A little itchy, but not much. I'm 79 yrs.old and in excellent health.

Any idea what it is?

Thanks,
ERSTRS

This discussion is related to help! red round patch on face that comes and goes in same spot.
  • pityriasis (2 replies):
    I have some skin problem, it lasts from early fall and I...[more]
  • treatment (1 replies):
    Aprox, one week ago I found some red patches in the groy...[more]
  • Weird patch on skin (1 replies):
    About a week, I noticed that I have this dark, dry patch...[more]
  • allergy (1 replies):
    theres this thing on my left leg down to my ankle bone a...[more]
  • What is it?? (1 replies):
    I now have this rash. 4 weeks ago a coworker had the sam...[more]
Pityriasis rosea (PR) is a common, harmless human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash, mainly on the torso.Due to similarities early in the disease course,other conditions to be considered  are ringworm, psoriasis and discoid eczema.
No treatment is usually required. In most patients, the condition lasts only a matter of weeks; in some cases it can last longer (up to six months).
In cases of severe symptomatic itching, topical or oral steroids may be used.
cortisone cream also helps if this is due to the alternate conditions mentioned above.
All of them are known to recur.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pityriasis_rosea