red spot on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red spot on lip

5226706?1262471155
I have a spot that showed up on my bottom lip, (I don't remember bitting my lip) almost like a blood blister. Will this surface and flake off or is it something that has to be medically removed?  It doesn't hurt it's just ugly.

It can be a blood blister due to biting of the lip or trauma to the lip or pyogenic granuloma. The lesion of pyogenic granuloma usually occurs in young adults as a solitary red papule or nodule that is prone to bleeding and ulceration. Treatment consists of Topical imiquimod cream and alitretinoin gel, intralesional or systemic steroids and surgical excision.

But if the lesion ulcerates and scabs then the possibility of cold sore also needs to be ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.