Dermatology Expert Forum
red spots, papule's around mouth, and small dry spots
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

red spots, papule's around mouth, and small dry spots

Hi there,
About 5 months ago I developed a small pinkish spot under my lips on the right hand side. That spot multiplied in that area. After that I started to develop papule's and dry-like, red pimples with no head (just larger red bumps) around the mouth/jaw line.
Between the nose and mouth I had tiny bumps as well. I was told it was peri-oral dermatitis and was prescribed metronidazole gel for the area. I used that for about a week before it made the area worse.
My face slowly started to develop dry, pinkish skin around the sides of my nose, leading down to  my mouth. I was prescribed tetracycline but after taking it for a few days my skin got worse again! (the dryness didn't seem to be affected at all but my mouth/jaw area broke out a bit more).

The redness eventually went away on it's own somehow but I still had my mouth/jawline area to deal with.
I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me doxycycline for a month a long with a mixture made of Clindamycin 2%, HC 1% in 80% H20 and 20% isopropanol to apply to the area.
This took away the red dots and a lot of the papule's (not all) but I seemed to get more of those red pimple-like bumps around my mouth while I was on it. Once I stopped both, the pinkish/red spots came right back but I developed a small red spot under my eye as well that spread just like the one under my mouth but I didn't exceed 2.

Right now, I have papule's all around my mouth, a long with a few red pimple-like bumps and that 1 tiny red spot under my eye. I also developed 2 small, dry, round patches on my forehead which is now spreading to a 3rd. I had the exact same patch on my upper right thigh and no matter what I put on it, would not go away. They look very similar to the dry patches I had around my nose earlier except smaller.

I haven't experienced any burning, itching, crusting, or oozing, just dryness on the dry patches. What is this? I've tried antibiotics, prescribed mixtures, gels... nothing has fully gotten rid of it.