red spots on penis shaft

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red spots on penis shaft

I noticed a bunch of random red spots on my penis. They dont seem to be raise or anything, just spots. They are mainly on the shaft all the way around and some at the base of the shaft. Has anyone heard of this. or know what it is?

Since when have you noticed the lesions? What is your age? Is there any associated itching?

This could be - pearly penile papules or fordyce spots. You would need to consult your doctor for a confirmed diagnosis.

'Pearly penile papules are multiple, small (about 1-3mm) papules running around the circumference of the crown of the glans (glands) penis. They typically develop in men aged 20 to 40, and around 10 per cent of all men are affected. They may be mistaken for warts, are not infectious and require no treatment.'

'Fordyce spots are small (1-5mm) bright red or purple papules that can appear on the glans (glands), shaft or scrotum and usually affect younger men. They may occur as a solitary lesion, but frequently appear in crops of 50 to 100. They are painless and not itchy, but may cause embarrassment because of their appearance, or a fear that they might be sexually transmitted. '

Let us know if you need any further information.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.

Red spots on the penis are very common and most do not have a serious cause. Even then it is better to seek prompt medical advice. Red spots on the penis can  be due to several causes like:
Papules which are small (less than 1cm diameter) lumps raised above the skin surface seen in molluscum contagiosum, hair follicles and sebaceous glands, pearly penile papules, fordyce spots, psoriasis and warts;
Ulcers seen in primary syphilis, chancroid, granuloma inguinale, lymphogranuloma venereum, penile cancer, herpes simplex, secondary syphilis, apthous ulcers, pemphigus, Behçet's disease, Reiter's syndrome, etc;
And plaques which are raised, flat-topped lesions, greater than 1cm in diameter seen in balanitis, posthitis, lichen sclerosis, psoriasis, and eczema.
It seems from your description that you might be having Fordyce's spots. These are small, painless, raised, pale or white spots or bumps 1 to 3 mm in diameter that may appear on the glans (glands), shaft or scrotum. They are harmless and appear in most adults, so there is no reason to panic. They may occur as a solitary lesion, but frequently appear in crops of 50 to 100. They are painless and not itchy. They generally cause embarrassment and sometimes fear that they might be sexually transmitted. They are actually abnormally dilated blood vessels, covered by thickened skin. They may bleed if injured or even during intercourse. They are not infectious and their cause is unknown.

Generally no treatment is advised but laser or electro-dessication methods are sometimes employed.
You should consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
Take care

I did have sex with my girlfriend Saturday night. I dont think I noticed them Sunday but I wasnt really looking. I noticed them yesterday morning. As far as I know she doesnt have any std. She has told me she has been tested. I know that doesnt guarantee anything. They seem to look like really tiny red blotches more than spots I guess, probably no bigger than 1mm. They do not itch and are not painful. I wouldnt say there are more than 50 if that even. and they are just randomly spread out on the shaft. Its really weird. The skin does not look raised on them execpt where there are spots that are located on follicules. They are red spots but not dark red. They seem to be a lighter red if there is such a thing. They were definitely not there before Saturday and it is something that I have not seen before
oh, I am 29
Hello. Here is my problem and self diagnosis. A red rash on the under side of penis head and shaft. Can start to itch and get worse. Butt crack itching with rash and soreness. The rash has been on the top of my penis head before and resembled a port wine birth mark. For me, my self diagnosis is a Candida yeast infection. This culture can thrive in a someone whose blood PH factor is too acidic. Acidic blood is low oxygen blood and undesireable organisms thrive in this enviroment. We need to have slightly alkaline blood with more oxygen so eat more green veggies and other alkaline forming foods. Candida is detroyed by introducing to the body more friendly bacteria that will eat up the bad guys. This stuff is the yogurt type cultures. Go to Ebay and buy THREELAC. This intoduces your system to the right organisms that will destroy the Candida. Also investigate or try the liquid aerobic oxygen drops taken internally in water. External treatment may temporarily work but the beast is inside and will return. Calamine lotion is a cheap fix to control the itching when it starts. The quick test for Candida is this: In the morning, spit a large GOB into a glass of water and examine a half hour later. If the spit is forming strings or strands that sticks together as it is twirled than you are infected with the Candida yeast. Hope this helps somebody as it took me awhile to figure out my condition. Good luck.  DS