Dermatology Expert Forum
red spots on scrotum?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

red spots on scrotum?

Three months ago, I went to my doctor for itchness/red spots on my scrotum.  The doctor visually examined me and he told me that the condition was caused by fungus infection.  The doctor prescribed me hydrocortisone cream 1%.  I applied the cream on my scrotum for a week and itchness went away within the first three days of treatment.  Ever since, I have been very cautious about my personal hygiene and itchness has not returned.  

Last week, I saw few the size of pea red spots on my scrotum - two on the left and three or four on the right.  The red spots seem to locate in the same place where the itchness was three months ago. (I am not sure if the red spots have disappeared and returned or they have always been there)  The red spots do not itch; however, I sometimes feel slight tingling.  When I stretch the skin, no visual bump, blister or cut.  As far as I can tell, the skin looks normal; however, couple of red spots look a little dry.  I also notice that the red spots become more visible when I don't strech my skin.  When I touch the red spots using my finger, I feel the red spots are a little rough on the surface.

I am in a committed and steady relationship - no fever, sign of breakout, unusual discharge before or after the itchness happened three months ago.

Questions:
1) Is it normal for a man to have few red spots or rough skin on his scrotum.
2) What do you think the red spots are based on my condition?
3) Do you think the red spots are related to my itchness three months ago?
4) Do I need to seek for further medical help if you think the condition is not normal?

Your professional opionions are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Yes. if they have mild eczema, which is what I think you probably have.
Eczema.
3) Do you think the red spots are related to my itchiness three months ago?
Yes, because eczema itches.
Yes, you should see a skin doctor for definitive diagnosis and treatment, perhaps a prescription-strength cortisone cream for intermittent use.

The doctor you saw called it a "fungus," but gave you hydrocortisone, which helps eczema but would make a fungus worse.  That's why I'd see a skin doctor.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff