red,swollen, itchy toe

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

red,swollen, itchy toe

My child has this reoccurring swollen,red,itchy painful toe problem that comes randomly and prevents her from walking and is extremely annoying (for both of us).  The doctors don't have a clue and just tell us to soak it, ice it, elevate it, take benedryl and stop being dramatic.  It does not seem to have any relationship to activity, diet, shoes or soap.  It is completely random, but always the third toe on the right foot.  What is it?  What can I do about it?  And how do we stop it from coming back?
It is very unusual for a toe to get swollen and red and itchy without any allergic reaction. It can be due to sweat dermatitis also but its chances are less. It looks more like an allergic reaction. Diagnosis of allergy can be done by skin ***** tests and patch tests. In this a little amount of allergen is injected into the skin of the forearm by a doctor. The skin is closely watched for signs of a reaction, which include swelling and redness. Confirmatory diagnosis is by blood tests (RAST).

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. Treatment can be started only when the diagnosis is confirmed. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.