Dermatology Expert Forum
redness of the face and pimples under the skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I am 19 yrs. old and have never had acne until my freshman year of college.  At first it was not a problem but slowly worsened.  After several treatments and prescriptions the acne has went away but now I am experiencing a redness in the area where I used the topical medications.  I've tried everything to get rid of the redness but it won't go away.  Only certain times is it not very red.  Is this due to something occurring from the topical treatments or something internally?  Also I still have red marks from past pimples that should have went away but haven't.  What should I use?
Eric:

Red marks can last for months after acne is over.  If you leave them alone and don't rub or squeeze them, they will go away.

Topical treatments can irritate the skin while you use them, but they can't make the skin stay red after you stop.  I'm not sure whether you're doing something or applying something to your face which may be irritating it, but you ought to think about that and revisit your dermatologist to see about reversing what's there.

Best.

Dr. R
I have the same problem with left over redness. I had acne that went away pretty much a few months ago. The redness is still there but it is not as bad as when i had the acne, and the tiny red dots on my face are slightly going away........Is there any cream or anything that may help this problem, because my dermatologist said to give it time, but its not going away too well.... I've heard that Vitamin E creams, Alpha Hydroxy or Aloe gels help. Is this true and is there any way to get this redness on my face to go away?   I never used to have redness until i began to get acne, but it hasn't gone away.  Please help...
I have small bumps on the back side of both thighs no matter what I have tried i can't get rid of them . they don't respond to ance med. and coca butter is the closest to any improvment at all . but not what i had hoped for still its the best i can do for now . help
I'm just wondering how a person could get rid of red cheeks.  I've never had acne problems but in the past couple of years I've noticed the redness on my cheeks and don't understand why they are there.  I'm a athletic guy who leads a pretty healthy life.  I don't drink alchohol but I do like spices.  Could that be the cause?  Or is it because I wear my hat everyday and the sun is the reason I have the red cheeks.  I don't remember have this redness growing up from Kindergarten to Gr.12, I've never seen it until now and don't know how to get rid of it.  I'm 22 yrs old.  I guess I've come to deal with it but is there anything I could do to get the redness out?

Thanks for your time

A related discussion, small little bumps on face was started.
A related discussion, How to Get Rid of Pimples? was started.