relentless cold sore due to sun exposure

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have a cold sore that won't heal completely. I was in the sun too long and had the tingling sensation , a cold sore formed and wouldn't go away after a few weeks.  I went to the doctor and was prescribed Acyclovir.  I did that for the week knowing it might not clear it completely.....now it has been over 6 weeks and it just won't clear up. It seems to almost clear up then starts oozing again every few days...Any suggestions?
Avatar dr f tn

Cold sores, being caused by the herpes simplex virus, generally clear up without treatment in seven to 10 days. Topical symptomatic treatments such as topical lidocaine or benzyl alcohol (Zilactin) may help relieve symptoms. Using an antiviral medication may shorten the duration of cold sores if started very early. If you experience very frequent bouts, your doctor may prescribe an antiviral medication as a cold sore treatment or to prevent cold sores.

It may help if you avoid conditions that stress your body, such as getting a cold or not getting enough sleep or staying in the sun for long periods of time without applying sunblock. It is important to apply sunblock to your lips and face before prolonged exposure to the sun  to help prevent cold sores.

Take care and regards.
i always suffer from cold n headache

i m f 24
I have always gotten cold sores since i was younger. I havent got one in tears,all of a suden today i recived a cold sore below my noise i have had a cold n really stress it feels like it keeps getting bigger n hurts. I have lidocaine ointment should i put that on it for the pain what cream can i put on it to go away i have family pics comeing up.?
Something that I have found that works for me:  As soon as I feel the tell-tale tingle of a cold sore coming on, I immediately grab a piece of ice from the refrigerator. I hold it over the spot for as long as possible, or at least for a couple of minutes, then rest, then again as many times as you can stand.  This often stops it in its tracks. If it has already started its swelling, I have applied OXY10 acne cream to it and this seems to help some.  

However, there is a prescription remedy that is really good.  If you get fever blisters on your mouth often, have your dentist or doctor give you a prescription for Zovirax cream. I have found that if I apply that at first symptoms it effectively stops its progression. Beware, though as Zovirax has teratogenic side effects (can cause birth defects in developing embryos).  Don't use this if you are a female and are pregnant or getting ready for a pregnancy. (Wait 90 days).

Regarding the impending family photos, you may be too late! For me, if a cold sores gets started and I am unable to do either of the above, I will get a full-blown cold sore that takes about 10 days to resolve.