retin a/retinol and skin damage from smoking

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi, I am a 53-yr.-old female ex-smoker (30+ years) - quit many times, finally for good recently.  I now have skin damage from smoking.  The lines above and below my lips especially bother me, and I would like to try retinol to decrease the wrinkles.  I recently bought something called Green Cream with a 0.3% retinol content to start out.  

As if smoking is not bad enough, several studies and other info on the Internet seem to show that using retinol is dangerous for smokers and quite possibly for former smokers, due to an increase in beta carotene and vitamin A that smokers are deprived of.  The studies on former smokers seem to indicate that the risk may be low?  Does anyone know anything about this?  Or any suggestions for dealing with the smokers' lines?

Thanks!
Smoking deprives the skin of its necessary of oxygen and nutrients (vitamin A for example) by restricting blood vessels in the outermost layers of the skin. Smoking also damages the collagen and elastin by decreasing the blood flow to the skin causing a loss of strength and elasticity which brings  premature wrinkles. Use anti ageing (aging) creams based on vitamin A, E, C AND masks and scrub products on a regular basis to help your damaged skin to “breath”. Retinol should not be used without a dermatologist’s prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.