ring around the neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

ring around the neck

hello,
not sure where to post this as i know not what it is but... my older daugher is overweight and around the back of her neck it is dark looking almost like a nasty dirt ring around her neck. she washes it and drys it really good but it won't go away. any thoughts as to what it is or what to do for it or how to get rid if it? she will not go to the doctors to see what it is.  thanks for any information at all

This darkening is due to hyperpigmentation of the skin with melanin pigment or due to chaffing which is caused by rubbing of the skin or with tight clothing.First of all ask your daughter to wear light free flowing clothes and 100%cotton clothes.She can bleach the area or apply hydroquinone cream on the darkened area.If the symptoms are severe you can go in for laser treatment or chemical dermabrasion.

Also get her evaluated for acanthosis nigricans from a dermatologist. In this abnormal thickening and darkening of the skin, especially in body creases is present.

I hope that helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your daughter is doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.
Hi, I'm Mary, 18 yrs old, I am chubby, overweight in fact, I have this darkening of neck, I applied exfoliants but it didn't change a bit, what shall I do?