ringworm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

ringworm

I got ringworm under my breast last Sept. and topical ointments didn't clear it up.  My doctor put me on Fluconozole for 14 days and that did clear it.  btw: they did a test on my liver first.  The doctor said he's positive it's ringworm.  It is a red ring with clear center.

Okay, now I contacted this thing again and under the same breast.  The creams did nothing for it.  So the doctor put me on Fluconozole again after doing the liver test.  It's now been 8 days of me taking this medicine and it's gotten worse and is still very itchy.

What else is there for me to do?  I am menopausal and sweat at night.  Is that part of my problem?  This thing is driving me nuts.

Skin medication is usually successful at treating Ringworm within 4 weeks.

Advice often given to prevent ringworm includes:

* Avoidance of sharing clothing, sports equipment, towels, or sheets.
* Washing clothes in hot water with fungicidal soap after suspected exposure to ringworm.
* Avoidance of walking barefoot, wearing of appropriate protective shoes to the beach and flip-flops/thongs in locker rooms.
* After being exposed to places where the potential of being infected is great , washing with an antibacterial and anti-fungal soap or one that contains Tea Tree Oil, which contains terpinen-4-ol.

The treatment options include - Topical antifungal agents such as terbinafine 1% cream (Lamasil) applied twice daily until symptoms resolve (usually 1-2 weeks). Terbinifine is not recommended for children < 2 years old or anyone with impaired hepatic function.

Systemically with oral medications, especially for scalp ring worm, or infection of the finger nails or toe nails.

Call your doctor if:
    * Ringworm infects your scalp or beard.
    * Your skin does not improve after 4 weeks of self-care.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.