rough brown spot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

rough brown spot

I wrote yesterday concerning a sudden appearance of a rough light brown spot by my knee that had 2 "tiny scratches" on it.  It did not cause any pain when I pressed on it, but when I cleaned the scratches with alcohol it burned a little bit.  Last night I picked and picked at the spot...it appears that the brown flakes fell off.  Now the area is irritated and red.  I am seeing my dermatologist tomorrow for proper assessment.  However, I am very concerned that it is melanoma.  It appears to be healthy skin after I picked off the brown flaky part.  Does melanoma appear like that overnight?  I check my body regularly and never noticed the brown spot before.  It was about the size of a quarter. I think I would of noticed it.  Could it been caused by trauma?