sand mites,flees.bites

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

sand mites,flees.bites

I was on vacation last week  in florida,the vacation was great.after returning home and returning  to work i notice  on sunday i had a small bite on my arm.by the next morning i was covered with bites actually  i had large lumps on my body.they itched like crazy and hurt all the same time.I went to the urgent care for help, was told not really for sure what they were, but to stay cool and take some predisone, if not  better go to er...i've still not got much comfort for this.one of my good friends told me to put clear nail polish on the bites that did help somewhat.....i'm still itching ..Can you please  tell me what to do???????????

thank you

peggy in st. louis
It can be insect bites,hives or dermatitis.

You can take non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine(Zyrtec) or Loratadine(Claritin) to get symptom relief. Sedating antihistamines such as Chlorphenamine(Benadryl) is used at night to get urticaria control. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.You may take Vitamin C and apply calamine lotion on the rashes. If still the symptoms persist then pls consult a dermatologist.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.