scalp issue

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

scalp issue

Hi-
I have a question regarding scalp irritation. I'm a bodybuilder and tend to go hairless most of the time. I also have a but of a receding hairline so I tend to keep my hair cut pretty short (buzzed). I never had problems in the past with scalp irriation when buzzing my hair when I was in my early 20's i.e. 20-22. I'm 26 now, and live in a different city, and like clockwork every time I cut my hair short, usually once a week, or once every 2 weeks usually on a number 1 guard, i get these painful bumps on my scalp. They swell, and hurt like the dickens. I usually lance them with a small needle, and put alcohol or salacylic acid on them. Either way they are unsightly and painful.  I also use a shampoo with tea tree oil, and try not to wash my hair under very hot water; that seems to increase the frequency of irritation.  I suppose my question is; are these bumps likely ingrown hairs or some sort of folliculitis, or potentially caused by dry scalp or something else. I would like to keep cutting my hair short, but not if I continue to have these issues. Is it possible that I may be cutting my hair too short? Maybe the cities water quality, etc? Any information would be wonderful. Thank you!
From the symptoms they sound like ingrown hair or infected hair follicles causing folliculitis. Ingrown hair is a condition where the hair curls back or grows sideways into the skin.

Apply a warm, moist compress to the area  and then use a sterile needle or tweezers to gently tease the hair out of the skin if it is visible. Please don’t poke for not visible hair and if possible get it tweezed from a dermatologist under aseptic conditions. Wash the area around the (formerly) ingrown hair with warm water and a moisturizing soap and then apply an antiseptic. Application of calamine lotion will also help in soothing the skin.

In case of pain ,you can take anti inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Topical applications such as salicylic prepared solutions also help.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.