Dermatology Expert Forum
scar on my chest

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

scar on my chest

Can anyone tell me what this could be on my chest please There was like a small spot there a few months ago and it came off but there is a small scarr there now and its its healed but left this scar

It's smooth and flat my gp said if it grows bigger or changes colour to go back what does it look like to u?? Here's a link to 2 photos in my Dropbox:https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hs40j1gbb47dzxk/sOrzBuVPJ_

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zaflubg7lmaiqpj/PHmiZhbZW-

Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern for the scar since your doctor has asked to check out the scar for any growth or change in color. From the photographs it looks like a normal scar. Well, Your GP might have asked you to check the scar because of two possibilities:

1) The presence of keloid scars or hypertrophic scars developing on the chest are quite high and your GP might be worried for that. Sometimes the scar is hypertrophic, or thickened, but confined to the margin of the wound. Hypertrophic scars are redder while keloids are raised and look shiny and dome-shaped, ranging in color from pink to red.

2) Secondly there is a possibility of pityriasis rosea and the scar that you have on the chest can be the herald patch. Pityriasis rosea is a common human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash.  Initially, a primary plaque, called a herald patch, is seen. Then it is followed by a distinctive, generalized rash 1-2 weeks later. The rash lasts approximately 2-6 weeks and is found in a Christmas tree pattern over the trunk and abdomen.

For these reasons your GP might have asked you to keep a check on the scar. But the reassuring point is that all these are treatable and not serious skin ailments. If it is a simple scar then without treatment, this usually takes about 6 months to resolve and for the skin color to go back to its normal color.  

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

hi

so are any of  the above scars you mentioned dangerous? or need monitoring if show how and what charges etc to look out for?

as this scar as been present now for 5 months and not vanished how long do they take to go away etc?