schamberg's diease

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

schamberg's diease

I believe I have had Schamberg's disease for the last 13 years however, I was diagnosed with several different diagnosis since beginning symptoms in 1995. I have the rust colored 'rash' that flares up and leaves scarring only on the legs below the knees. I too have been trying to deal with it and have learned certain strategies to cope. if a flare up begins, i try to rest, elevating my legs and apply cool compresses. Heat only makes the itching and flare up worse. I also take advil two times a day to relieve the 'pain'. i believe the pain stems from the extra fluid build up in the tissues resulting from the leaking capillaries. the pressure of the fluid build up causes the muscles and tissue to be compressed. I also reduced my stress level. I took Taichi and yoga to help decrease my stress level. taking a few moments to yourself every day to unwind and relax can do wonders. Another technique that I used as a trial test is a gluten free diet. believe it or not it worked for me. For some reason the gluten free diet reduced the flareups. however, this diet can be more expensive but if you can afford it, try it. you can purchase gluten free products at a health food store. I am not a doctor but I know what works for me. the last thing I tried was to lose weight. the diet helped in that capacity and the reduction in weight put less pressure on my legs resulting in less flareups. I have not worn anything less than long pants and never venture out to the pool or in shorts during the warmer weather months. that is a personal choice but hopefully someday i will be able to put vanity aside and be more confident. Another technique is to wear compression stockings. i believe that you need a doctor prescription but they also do fabulous at reducing the swelling and flares. Another thing is:  laser treatments won't do any good as the recurrence of flare ups will only produce more scarring and most insurances won't cover the cost. I hope my information has helped or at least given some support. take care.                                                                                                

This discussion is related to Schamberg's Disease.