sebaceous cyst between breasts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

sebaceous cyst between breasts

I have had a sebaceous cyst between my breasts for several years. It had always been fairly small, and I was able to squeeze a white material out of it and that would make it smaller, although it would always refill and get bigger again. It is movable beneath the skin, but before it didn't feel particularly hard, and now it does. Also I am not able to squeeze anything out of it anymore, I suspect because of scarring. Because of it's location, and the fact that it is now hard and is getting larger, I am worried. It does not show on mammograms because it is right between both breasts, on the strenum. I showed it to my dr. at my last appt. and he examined it and said not to worry about it unless it gets large or painful, then it can be removed if that happens. He also told me to stop squeezing it, which I have done, but it is enlarging since I stopped emptying it. It there any chance that a sebaceous cyst can become cancerous, and would you recommend removal? It seems to be enlarging rapidly, and is now visible to the naked eye when I look at my chest, whereas before it was so small I could not see it under the skin....

A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin.They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts.

They can grow in size and almost always are non cancerous.Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.Also pls don’t pick them up as your doctor has advised as it can get infected.

I hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted in case you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

ive been diagosed with that today .... havinng cancer problem in the family....am really scared . my doc told me to get my breast checked....in two days the lump has increased in sized....an am having a little pain....no discharged....of keratin at all. it anterior