sebaceous cyst inflammation, need help

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

sebaceous cyst inflammation, need help

I have done a little research and am reasonably certain that the few bumps on my scrotum are sebaceous cysts.  there were possibly 20 of them all located on the left side of my scrotum.  they never bothered me until one of them became red and inflammed.  now the swelling has gone down but i have slight burning, something like when medicated gold bond powder is applid to the same area.  the thing the left side of my penis is now starting to burn.  with an infection, can this happen?  is there anything i should do?  it is very uncomfortable and would like to be able to put an end to it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Is there visible discharge from the bump ?

If there is a discharge, then a culture of the discharge will be able to help ascertain which organisms are involved. This  may be an infection. Differentials will be folliculitis and infected sweat or sebaceous glands. You may need topical antibiotics for this.
Refrain from unnecessarily touching the area.

Have you applied anything on the area?

there was no discharge, it is a hard bump, i am guessing there is no fluid inside.  it just got red around the area.  and now it burns just a little.  not real painful, just uncomfortable.  It has started to recede, like i said, but the burning has spread to the left side of my penis.

No, i haven't put anything on it.  so far i have just left it alone.would normal antibiotic cream help out?
A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that has a lining that resembles the uppermost part (infundibulum) of a hair follicle and fills with a fatty white, semi-solid material called sebum.
In males a common place for them to develop is the scrotum and chest.Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles,[4] excessive testosterone production, will cause such cysts.
Surgical excision of a sebaceous cyst is a simple procedure to completely remove the sac and its contents.With surgery, a cyst can usually be excised in its entirety.A completely removed cyst will not recur, though if the patient has a predisposition to cyst formation, further cysts may develop in the same general area.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_cyst
You could take anti-biotics if it is infected, how-ever you need to get a surgeon's opinion before you do anything.
I don't think it needs to be removed.  I mean, I am no expert, but since the inflammation has already started to recede, all the is left is an uncomfortable burning sensation.  will this go away?  should i just sit tight and see what happens?  is there any danger in doing so?