selsun blue burn

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

selsun blue burn

My nephew has these little white blotches on his skin. Someone recommended selsun blue. The parents used it and did not rinse it off. Now he is complaining of brning and the skin looks sunburned. Should we just treat as a sunburn?
It seems like irritant contact dermatitis. Apply cool compresses on the area and do not scrub his skin and use a soft towel and gently pat his skin dry. Also use any cream containing aloe vera and a light moisturizer or a dusting powder to relieve chafing. If the symptoms still persist then you need to consult a dermatologist as steroids are needed. The condition for which you were using selsun blue is called pityriasis alba for which no treatment is required and the patches in time will settle in due course of time. The redness, scale and itch if present may be managed with simple emollients and sometimes hydrocortisone, a weak steroid, is also used. Severe cases may require PUVA therapy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.