sever itching of arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

sever itching of arms

has anyone found a treatment that works for this horrible itching  I have had this for about 19 yrs.  

my dad also has this itcing on his arms and back

mine started about the time I had my gallbladder removed.  my dad has had his removed also

just wondering if anyone else has had their gallbaldder removed.  

I read something about the liver not processing Bial correctly,  maybe this has something to do with the itching

how knows.  

I cant stand this much longer

This discussion is related to Sever arm itching.
Having just spoken to my mother, I began a google search on itchy arms and after some surfing, found your post.

My mother is around 62 and has had this problem for the last few years (seasonally) and can't remember having it before she had her gallbladder removed.

You may be on to something.  Sorry that I don't have an answer, but it might be a clue.
From the symptoms the possibility of brachioradial pruritis needs to be ruled out. Brachioradial pruritis is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually between the shoulder and elbow of either or both arms. The itch can be so intense that sufferers will scratch their own skin to a bleeding condition.
The main cause of BRP is not known but there is evidence to suggest that BRP may arise in the nervous system. BRP may be attributed to a neuropathy, such as chronic cervical radiculopathy.

No cure has been found.The only thing that seems to help most sufferers is the application of ice to the area until the itch is diminished. Other treatments include cooling lotions like those containing camphor or menthol,capsacain or local anesthetic creams,amitriptyline and gabapentin tablets and electrical cutaneous nerve field stimulation.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I too have this horrible itching to both of my arms. It has occasionally moved to my face but mostly from my hands up to my shoulders. Mine seems to be at its worst in the evenings. Is that a comman symptom as well?? I have suffered now for over 2 or 3 years. Started out small, just a few areas to the point as of this past July it looking like I am just covered with open areas on both my arms.

I did see a dermatologist who for one told me that I needed to stop itching. I have to admit I wanted to smack him. He then ordered me to buy 2 over the counter creams which were very expensive, also a perscription cream & then 2 over the counter allergy meds. Claritin & Zyertec. This all was well over $50!! If anything, put on all 3 of these creams, well it made the itching so much worse. I still tried to carry on with his directions but then I just couldn't stand it any more. I went back to see him & he wasn't really very happy to see me. He took a couple of biopsies but told me that he didn't feel it would show anything, again told me to stop scratching & left the room. Well he was right, the biopsies were a waste of even more money.

I am on quite a few medications as I have fibromyalgia & I have even stopped taking everything I am on but my thyroid medication & I am still going crazy with the itching. It is so horrible to even look at my arms. Even if you can get past the open areas, well then you get to see the SCARS I now have. I am so very upset about that.

I have went as far as to put on fake nails because they aren't as sharp as my real nails. I did this because most mornings I would wake up with my arms bloody along with my face sometimes. I have tried Benadryl as well which my doctor told me helped to  create my problem now with Dry Mouth Syndrome. That too is a very painful thing to have.

I have tried & tried to find something/anything that is causing the itching but no luck. I am on pain medications for my fibro but I now live in horrible pain with NO relief from the pain meds as I KNOW that they do cause the itching to just drive me out of my mind. I am just so very uncomfortable, well it is 3:30am & I am more than tired but my arms are driving me crazy, so crazy I can't sleep. Oh & on top of fibro, the arms, the mouth pain well I also have restless leg syndrome!! I just don't know what to do. I did find out that taking magnesium helps the restless leg but taking magnesium seems to make my arms worse. The only thing that I have found that helps has been mentioned & that is ice!!

When I do get done typing this I am going to try the cold cloths covered with ace bandages & see if that can help enough to allow me to sleep. Thank you, whomever might read this 1/2 of a book. :) Please, please, please...if anyone can help me I so dearly would appreciate it!!! I am not sure how to see if anyone response to this but I will give it my best. Again, thank you!!!
Tami
I have had this forearm itching for 4 years now.  Intense itch on both arms worse towards the end of the day and into the night.  I to end up scratching until I have a raised spot that bleeds if I keep scratching.  I have been to the Doctors and been given creams and even antibiotics but I still get the itching it comes on at the end of the summer and lasts into the new year.  This year I have tried a new method to ease the itching and to some extent it has helped reduce the problem allowing me to get to sleep and it has stopped me scratching until I draw blood.  I have been using the hand sanitiser that is on sale everywhere now day's, it's the stuff you use on your hands when you go into hospitals and such like places.  It cools my arms and after a short time the itching goes away completely for anything from a few minutes to several hours.
I hope this helps others because I know how much that itch gets to you....
Regards,
David
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers