Dermatology Expert Forum
severe dryness of penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

severe dryness of penis

My boyfriend has been experiencing redness, severe dryness and even sometimes cracking on his penis.  This started happening shortly after we started dating (about 3 years ago).  It is definitely worsened when we have sex or he masturbates.  He went to a doctor a few years ago and the doctor told him that I probably  had a yeast infection.  I have since been treated twice and it is still happening.  I do have some redness in the vaginal area, but I don't think that it is abnormal.  I am not sure that if I had a yeast infection that it would cause this kind of problem.  He is circumsized so I know that a male yeast infection would be uncommon, I got him some clotrimizol (not sure if that is even close to how you spell it) about a year ago and he said it helped a little while he used it but it definitely came back.  Using lubricant during sex seems to help, but the wounds never really go away, when they start to heal up and we have sex, the next day you can peel skin off of him like when a blister cracks on your foot (to be clear he doesn't have any blisters on his penis).  He says that he has never had this problem with anyone before.  It doesn't itch and the only pain comes from the dryness.  Is there something wrong with me ?  Do I have a terrible yeast infection that just won't go away?  We have both been tested for STD's.  What can we do at this point?  Thanks so much for your help.
I don't think either of you has a yeast infection.  I think he probably has eczema of the penis.  This requires a topical anti-inflammatory cream like hydrocortisone.  He might try the over-the-counter version of this while waiting for a skin doctor to see him and make a definite diagnosis.  He should be able to clear up and control this very easily, making life more pleasant for both of you.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I have a similar condition. My wife is pregnant and neither of us have any STDs. Lately I have been developing a burning rash after intercourse that later drys and flakes with no other irritation. It only occurs within 'intimate contact zones' and she has spoken to her doctor about it and received no real answer. She has a minor UTI (which she gets once in a while) and has been diagnosed with vaginal strep- so they can deal with that issue during delivery. Her last pelvic exam was two days ago and they assured her that she is clean and healthy (despite her having a little thicker white ooze than normal). Do you have any suggestions you can offer? Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Mark
I had some redness and my vulva was inflammed. I found out I had Vaginitis. before i knew i had it, my boyfriend and i had sex that morning before it got inflammed. After a couple of days, his penis gradually started becoming more dry. Today we looked at it and there is redness, peeling, and he says it doesnt itch. Is there a way that maybe he has what i have? how can we get it to go away? thank you.
About a year ago, i started getting raised bumps around my mouth, there only veiwable when i streched out my mouth, and it seem itz spreading outward, and in the corner of my mouth are little bumps. and now recently ive been getting bumps on my penis and severe dryness, dont know what it is..... any advice???
A related discussion, dryness and cracking skin on penis was started.