severe folliculitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

severe folliculitis

About 3 months ago folliculitis appeared on my thighs. I went to a doctor and he prescribed roxithoromycin and mupirocin. They got better after 2 weeks but after a few days many pimples appeared all over my body. I went to a doctor again and she prescribed erythromycin and more mupirocin. Using these antibiotics helped to control the disease but never caused it to disappear completely. After finishing the treatment course the pimples quickly came back in large numbers. Finally a month ago I went to a doctor again and he prescribed 500 mg flucloxacillin capsules 4 times a day for 2 weeks and twice a day for another 2 weeks and also a cream called fucidin 3 times a day for a month. Moreover he told me to wash my body with a surgical scrub betadine solution everyday. Most of the pimples disappeared in the first 2 weeks but they gradually came back after the third week and now it's just like what it used to be. Do you have any idea what I should do now?Do you have any suggestions for antibiotics? Is there anything or any test that I should take? By the way I don't have diabetes or any kind of STD.
thanks,
Tags: mupirocin
by the way does drinking alcohol affect folliculitis?

Drinking alcohol does not affect folliculitis.

Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles.

You might try putting an antibiotic ointment like bacitracin or neosporin in your nostrils every night for a month, because staph germs hang out there and sometimes "seed" other body parts.  Do not pop these lesions.

This condition is commonly seen from the friction caused by wearing tight clothing.

Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).

They appear as pimples or pustules located around a hair follicle, usually preceded by or associated with itching skin.

You can treat this with topical antiseptic ointment which is adequate for most cases.
Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment can also be applied on the bumps to hasten the resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folliculitis

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
"Drinking alcohol does not affect folliculitis. "

I disagree. I've had folliculitis on my scalp for the past 10 years. Over this time I've come to know very well what does and doesn't affect my scalp and I know that the more I alcohol drink the worse my scalp becomes. If I don't drink anything for maybe 2-3 weeks, my scalp almost clears up completely. After which the condition returns with a vengeance once I recommence drinking. In a perfect world it would be great to go teetotal, but I do enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner sometimes. Treatments that have worked temporarily for me were Roaccutane - the only side effect I got from this was dry skin - which I used for six months and it kept my scalp clear for maybe 3 months after I stopped taking them before the condition returned. And after using Doxycline (an antibiotic), which I used as an anti-malarial while travelling through Asia.

I used to see an NHS dermatologist where each time the consultant would send me off with a new treatment then tell me to come back after 4 months. Each time they would see the same negative improvements and send me away again, the cycle restarting.
Folliculitis might also be a symptom of bad gut flora. This can actually be caused by alcohol. This is obviously the folliculitis that is not treated with antibiotics and keeps reappearing after every treatment or is not affect at all. I have seen people have it for as much as 15 years before they found out about this by searching the Internet. Doctors are very often really ignorant despite of all their years of study. After all they mostly care about profit as do the big pharma. This is why an Internet user may find a solution to his 15 year problem after going to doctors and doctors by doing a google search. Those with the folliculitis that does not heal may have probably noticed that their symptoms are diet dependent. Do a search on folliculitis and gut flora and you may find your answer. Oil of oregano is also very powerful for the common folliculitis (and many many other things). Good luck to all.