severe itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

severe itch

I also have had this severe itching it started about 20 years ago just on my arms now it feels like i am rolling in insolation 24/7 all over what the hell is this?????
Hi there,
If it is JUST on your forearms from about wrist to just above the elbow, it could be Brachioradial Pruritus. There's many different reasons arms itch uncontrollably, but many cases of BRP is caused by cervical damage of some kind. I am also a sufferer for about 9 years. I do have a severe disc herniation at C5-C6 compressing the spinal cord centrally. I'll explain a little of how this happens, most people with herniated discs feel pain, tingling, numbness, weakness etc. in a VERY small percentage of people as the disc compresses the nerves or spinal cord, the nerves fire an itch signal instead of pain. That's why the itch can't be 'scratched away'...the itch tends to be really deep and only gets worse if you scratch it.....often ice or topical pain relievers (Icy hot, capsaicin etc) over-ride the itch sensation for a while. Without knowing anything about you, this could be your problem. There is a whole forum of 'us' itchy arm people on this site. It is under 'dermatology' then on the left hand side of your screen scroll down to 'Itchy arms= Brachioradial Pruritus". You may have to go through several pages to find it, but we are all there.....come join and read about all the other sufferers and you may find something that sounds like you. =) Good luck!!
From your symptoms it looks like brachoradial pruritis. Brachioradial pruritis is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually between the shoulder and elbow of either or both arms. The itch can be so intense that sufferers will scratch their own skin to a bleeding condition.
The main cause of BRP is not known but there is evidence to suggest that BRP may arise in the nervous system. BRP may be attributed to a neuropathy, such as chronic cervical radiculopathy.

No cure has been found. The only thing that seems to help most sufferers is the application of ice to the area until the itch is diminished. Other treatments include cooling lotions like those containing camphor or menthol, capsacain or local anesthetic creams, amitriptyline and gabapentin tablets and electrical cutaneous nerve field stimulation.

Please discuss this possibility and these options of treatment with your dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

As I stated above BRP is itching of one or both arms typically from wrist to just above the elbow....it is named Brachioradial Pruritus for that very reason.....it tends to be located over the muscle of the forearm known as Brachioradialis which is located on the forearm just distal to the elbow. The dermatome associated with this area corresponds with C5-C6 spinal nerves. Some treatments such as cervical traction tend to help by reducing pressure on the nerves involved. Just thought I needed to clear that up as I notice it is often stated the itch is from the shoulder to the elbow, which is incorrect...no offense intended.