severe itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

severe itching

I started having this severe itch only on my left arm just below the elbow, about two months ago.  The itching was so bad that I cried.  Yesterday I had pancakes with syrup, about half hr. to forty five minutes later the itching started again, so severe, I tried anything in the medicine cabinat pertaining to itching and used a towel to scratch.  This is the first time I noticed it after I had eaten and wondered if there is a chemical in either the mix or syrup that might be interacting with either the food or my medications.  I don't know which dr. to go to, family or a dermatologist.  The itching lasted about one and a half hrs. I took four teaspoons of benedryl and it seemed to stop some of the itching or at least it wasn't so bad.   This morning I had small scabs on my arm from the scratching.  I noticed a lot of people on the forum with this similar problem.  Any new ideas???  Thank you.

This discussion is related to Severe Itching on arms.
If the itching started after eating the pancakes, then it can be due to food allergy. Maintain a food diary and notice the foods that cause such itching. Also take some over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps. You can also take some oral steroids after consulting your doctor.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have had this problem for years, sometimes worst than others.  I don't think the doctors really understand how unbearable it can be.  I have been recently working with yet another new doctor, and she suggests a possible nerve issue in the neck, and has scheduled me to have MRI done to check.  Will let you know results.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers