severe itchy skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

severe itchy skin

for the past month, my skin has been very sensitive.  It has been itchy and if i scratch it, my skin gets really red and i start to break out in a rash/hives if i continue to scratch. i was wondering what this could be do to? i read somewhere that the winter is a possible cause? ive been using aveeno lotion to try to keep my skin moisturized but it does not really help much.
It can be due to dry skin or xerosis which leads to itchy skin. The other possibility is of hives. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

Take some antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin and apply some calamine lotion on the rash. Also wear cotton clothes and apply good quality moisturizers. If the symptoms persist then please get it examined from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.