severe night itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

severe night itching

I have severe night itching. Always around my right neck and shoulder area,at times down my arm and hand,and on my back area.It gets so severe I have scratched claw marks on me.The only thing I can due is take a beneadrl and an ice cub on the area.But the  beneadrl  puts me to sleep.I feel so freaky!! I am 37yrs old,I am not crazy(I feel crazy when the itching gets so alive),but always in the evening.Please any ideas,Thank you
Well,your symptoms are typically suggestive of brachioradial pruritis. Brachioradial pruritis is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually on the upper limbs.The itch can be so intense that sufferers will scratch their own skin to a bleeding condition. BRP may be attributed to a neuropathy, such as chronic cervical radiculopathy.

No cure has been found.The only thing that seems to help most sufferers is the application of ice to the area until the itch is diminished. Other treatments include cooling lotions like those containing camphor or menthol,capsacain or local anesthetic creams,amitriptyline and gabapentin tablets and electrical cutaneous nerve field stimulation.

Pls discuss this possibility and these options of treatment with your dermatologist.It has to be evaluated and differentiated from other conditions like eczema,psoriasis,hives etc.
I hope that helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards
I have been suffering with arm itching on both sides for atleast 20 years now.  I feel like I am loosing my mind!  I am saddened to see others suffer from it too but, yet I feel relief knowing I am not going crazy!  I have seen so many different kinds of doctors and they all look at me like I am crazy.  A rheumatologist even told me to go to counseling!!  I have seen a dermatologist but, he never said a thing about Brachioradial Pruritis to me.  I have several ice packs in my freezer and use them on a daily/nightly basis.  Sometime while I am at work it gets so bad that I grab the ice pack out of my lunch bag and hold it against my skin.  That is the only relief I get!  From what I have read on here tonight has given me some peace of mind.  Thank you all for you input!