Dermatology Expert Forum
severely damaged skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

severely damaged skin

i'm a 22 year old male from illinois.  i've had a skin condition on my face for about 4 years now that has not been able to be treated.  i've seen over 10 dermatologists and none have been able to help me out even the slightest.  so here's the problem, i was on retin-a for acne and kept getting sun burned, so my skin started to dry out.  i just kept using the retin-a and didn't use proper sun care.  my skin continued to get drier and drier, so my dermatologist started trying other medications such as differin, benzamycin, cleacin, klaron....i even tried some acne medications i ordered from the television.  the dryness continued to worsen.  by this time, it has turned extremely painful.  my skin started to be tight, red, cracking, burning, stinging...just unbelievably uncomfortable and painful.  so i decided to get put on accutane to get ride of acne, and so i would be able to get off of the topical medications.  i've been off of accutane and any other type of acne medication for about 2 years now, but my skin has yet to heal.  even water flares it up.  i can't use any type of lotion or cream or ointment or anything that helps with moisture lose, it just makes it worse.  my skin seems to have an allergic reaction to even air.  i know that this would be very hard to treat without actually seeing me, so my question is what and where are the leading dermatology centers?  i'm from illinois, but i'm willing to travel.  like i said, i've been to many dermatologists so far with no help whatsoever.  so please, let me know of the leading centers.  thank you so very much.
The only condition I know of which sounds even vaguley like what you describe is eczema.  This makes the skin feel "dry," when it's actually inflamed.  Has anyone recommended using a prescription-strength cortisone cream for at least a period of time to settle things down?  If not, I would suggest it.

As for a dermatologic consultation, I suggest you look at the website of the American Academy of Dermatology (www.aad.org) or perhaps visit any of the large medical centers in Chicago.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Let me comment on this one.

I can relate to your story. Ive been through the same thing over many years.

After many derm appointments and years of trouble, ive finally appeared to have fixed this.

Like the dr said, you are suffering from excema skin inflammation (irritant contact dermatitis, possibly a chronic case which has persisted for quite a while) has the texture of your skin changed, become rough? During this time you may have contracted a bacterial skin infection on your face.

I would go to your doctor and demand a skin culture done on your face to test for any bacteria present, and then based on results, research for the correct oral antibiotic. Im on cephlexin (10 day course) and it covers the organisms most likely to effect infected dermatitis. What ive noticed is that the bacteria on my skin wouldnt allow my face to heal, and it kept inflamming it.

Id definately do your own research and and follow what ive advised... i can relate exactly to your story....leave your email if you want me to contact you regarding any advice etc

good luck

ferris

Maybe if you tried putting DermaTop or Cyclocort on it, the redness would go away.
Have you ever tried any herbs or natural creams?  It seems that your condition does not get any better when you continuously treat it with the chemicals, so maybe you should try and treat it with herbal moisturizers, things coming straight from the Earth, instead of processed chemials.  I suggest you take a trip to your natural foods market and talk with someone in the vitamins and supplements department.  Maybe try applying aloe to your face twice a day, just to help relieve pain.  It will in no way make the condition worse; it can only help.
I burned my hands, caused by a flash fire, second degree burn.
I have been using silver sulfadiazine cream 1%, for almost three weeks.  The skin has pealed, and now is a bright red.  Should I
keep using the cream, and for how long?  I thought about using a vitamine E ointment instead, is this a good or bad idea?
Thanks--John7428
A related discussion, acne medication ***** was started.